Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46066 12/12/01 02:43 AM
OP Offline
SAN PEDRO, Wed. Dec. 5

Residents of San Pedro told Amandala yesterday, Tuesday, that they are tired of the high rate of crime on their tourist island, and are asking their area representative to recommend to Government that "if a person is found guilty of robbery, his wrist be cut off, plus he is sent to jail for several years."

The citizens say they are prepared to demonstrate against what they perceive as the San Pedro Town Board's complacency on the matter.

Four Town Board members told the newspaper that crime was not out of control as the people are insisting, because "the police have everything under control."

In a letter written on Monday, December 3, addressed to Hon. Patty Arceo, area representative for Belize Rural South, and signed by fifty tour guides and members of the Belize Tourist Guide Association, the signatories complained of constant assaults on tourists on the island, and say that eight independent tour guides have lost their skiffs in a one-month period.

Local business owners told the newspapers they are terrified of keeping their businesses open too late, and say that prostitution is on the rise.

Some residents say they are planning to arm themselves at home, and when they leave their homes at night, or even during the day. Foreign business magnates on the island have talked about selling out their establishments and moving back to their respective countries.

A restaurant owner on Tarpon Street told Amandala yesterday that about a month ago she was leaving her establishment around 10:10 p.m., and as she locked the door a Hispanic male came out of nowhere and held her up at gunpoint. The man demanded money, which he was given, and he then fled.

A tourist visiting from Kentucky said that he frequents the island, but sometimes he is careful of the time of day he takes his strolls on the island. He has been robbed four times since July - two of those times he lost valuable items.

Amandala spoke with three very distraught tour guides who have lost thousands of dollars in fishing equipment, outboard engines and in damages to their skiffs. Manuel Azueta said he had recently gotten a loan to purchase a skiff; he had not made one payment towards his loan, however, when his boat went missing. When the boat finally resurfaced, miles from his house, the 60 HP engine was missing.

Francisco Perez, a tour guide of Pescador Drive, found his boat on Hick's Caye on Sunday, December 3, after it went missing for nine days. The boat was damaged, his two 60 HP Yamaha engines were missing, and $10,000 in boat equipment was gone.

A woman, suspected to be a Salvadoran national, was found dead on a street in the San Juan area of the town.

Two women tourists were assaulted at a popular resort on Northern Ambergris Caye earlier this year. The report was not made official, but a well-circulated United States magazine published the story, and verbally bashed the entire country of Belize and its judicial system.

Contrary to what the Town Board spokespersons are insisting, activists on the island said it was evident that the wave of crime is high, and it was also evident that inevitably, the problem would begin affecting the growth of the tourism industry.

No one has been able to pinpoint contributing factors for the increasing criminal acts, but some people believe that the absence of tourism police and the inadequacy of the San Pedro Police branch may be two reasons.

Hon. Patty Arceo told Amandala that she is cognizant of the problem the town is facing. She said that she has consulted the Belize Tourism Board and Police Department about having more police officers and tourism police on the island. The departments said that they have assigned over six police officers and will have two tourism police on the island by Friday, December 7.

A member of the San Pedro Advisory Committee told the newspaper that he has written seven letters to the Belize Tourist Board, and has not gotten a reply. If the Government of Belize does not take San Pedro's crime problem seriously, the committee will encourage locals to join them in a demonstration against GOB.

"Crime on our island is really getting out of control ...we will start lynching the thieves, rapists, and attackers," the member said.

Anticipating opposition to their tough stance, the letter to the Hon. Arceo read: "Pay no mind to the human rights [organization], because these thieves have no mercy on the hard-working, honest and law-abiding citizens of Belize."

So very disheartening.

MR

[This message has been edited by Mosquitorose (edited 12-12-2001).]

Love is a many splendid thing and food runs a close second.
#46067 12/12/01 11:01 AM
Is this true? I find it hard to believe.

Grace DeVita
#46068 12/12/01 11:36 AM
I too find this surprising, but I would tend to rely more on the locals than I would on my impression as an annual tourist. What is the difference between the regular police (I wouldn't mess with those guys) and the tourism police? Also, is it determined that the problem is local or are the people causing it imports? I know the SP area is not all that big, and I would assume (?) that most of the inhabitants know most of the others, and I would gather from this article that someone has a pretty good idea of who the troublemakers are. I personally have never felt in the least threatened, but we do take normal security precautions and may not fit the typical easy victim profile.
Anyone have any personal accounts of more than the normal problems?

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#46069 12/12/01 03:09 PM
W
W
You wouldn't have to look far for a workable solution. I gtee that Cozumel/Cancun have seen it all before you.....and have come up with some sort of method.

Freedom of choice--what a concept!
#46070 12/12/01 08:31 PM
SOMEBODY PULL THIS CRAP. WHAT GOOD IS IT TO THIS BOARD.WHY DO WE NEED TO HEAR ABOUT THE SMALL PERCENTAGE OF PROBLEMS INSTEAD OF THE BEAUTIES OF EVERY DAY LIFE ON THE ISLAND.FOR ALL THOSE THAT THINK THE CONDOS AND CRUISE SHIPS ARE COMING I SUGGEST YOU LOOK INTO CONSTUCTION COST AND THINK ABOUT RETURN ON IVESTMENT BEFORE YOU BELIVE HILTON AND MARRIOTT ARE NEAR. IMHO

YA CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON A GOOD TIME
#46071 12/12/01 08:39 PM
WE have to say for ourselves, we have never had a problem there with crime, for all the times we go down.. We have traveled all over the island, night and day in all areas and never had a problem.. We feel you have to be careful though, on what you are doing and when.. Just like up here in the states.. Just take care and you all will be fine..
Thanks, Rick

#46072 12/12/01 08:51 PM
Rick,

I agree wholeheartedly. Same holds true for no matter where one travels. Walked dark streets of Otavalo & Quito, Ecuador - rambled through off the beaten paths in Costa Rica and Baja among others - same thing---just be cautious--and I tell you, I felt a lot safer on AC than in some of our US cities, where I would NEVER do that.

Have not been to AC in awhile (see post on "What's New in AC").

Was NOT suggesting AC (As i think Graffice might have been implying - if not, I apologize) was filling up with condos, was merely trying to get a feel for "flavor", i.e. has it changed much in 4 years, as well as what new fun things might be there. Still looking for answers on that one.

Simple as that.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#46073 12/12/01 10:11 PM
M R has obviously never been to Jamaica.
I agree we have problems. But on a relative scale.
2 bad guys could do all the damage described in one weekend.
Bottom line--This aint Kansas Dororthy--
But I still let my 2 1/2 year old daughter run the beach.
It's called 'growing pains'
Jim

[This message has been edited by Pier Lounge (edited 12-12-2001).]

Jim
#46074 12/13/01 01:59 AM
I've walked all over downtown (hee, hee) SP and up into Boca del Rio at all hours of the day and night, sometimes in less than stellar condition. I've only once felt the slightest bit threatened and that was stone-cold sober in broad daylight, due to a confrontation with a local bad actor that I had unfortunately become acquainted with. I was out touring on a golf cart over on the lagoon side and he decided to try and physically intimidate me into giving up $20 because I'd taken a picture of the lagoon. There were a couple of other local fellows there that appeared to be trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I'm still not 100% sure that they would have helped me had it gotten any worse, but I'd sure like to think they would have. Most all SanPedranos are decent, just like at home.

Anyway, the kid was just a mean bully type and I've dealt with those before. Use your head. Don't wave around a bunch of cash, don't wear your diamonds.

And, hey, I'm hoping he's moved on since last year. :^)

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.