Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#449133 10/19/12 08:30 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Oh I love watching you make breads and these powder buns. Yummo. Can I make them just using butter cause I don't ever cook or use margarine for my family in cooking. Jada has the right idea with the chocolate chips lol yum that's something I'd add :) awesome video! Thank you.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Belizean Powder Buns in 1 Minute

In this video I'll share with you in just about one minute how to make Belizean Powder Buns. This tea cake is delectable and delicious.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Powder Buns, a Belizean Treat

This recipe takes me way back to my childhood in Corozal and all the way back to standard 3. In Belize, schools are often underfunded and forced to come up with all kinds of schemes for staying afloat. My schools’ fund raising included electing a class “king” or a class “queen” for every standard. One year I was elected. As “elected” class king/queen a large burden for raising class funds is placed on your back. Often these elections are rigged so that kids whose parents were�perceived�to be “rich” would get “elected”. �The idea is being, rich kids’, rich parents, would �support the class fund raising. My mom was having none of it. She unilaterally decided that if I were to be class king/queen I would raise the funds the old fashioned way: hard work. This is where powder buns come into the picture. My mom and I would bake a batch of powder buns every night and I would sell them at school. Lucky for me powder buns sell themselves. The combination of spicy nutmeg and cinnamon with a sugary sweet finish is�irresistible. I would sell them every day at recess for $0.50 BZE. I always sold out.

1. Preheat your oven to 370 degrees.

If you are in Belize or have access to a coconut, your recipe can begin with cracking the coconut and griding out the meat. If you don’t, you can use store-bought coconut, but just keep in mind that it has added sugar. After using a machette or very large knife (use the back of the blade) to crack the coconut allow the coconut water to drain over a bowl.

Coconut cracked, coconut water draining

Coconut cracked, coconut water draining

Once the coconut is drained crack it all the way in half. If you have a coconut grinder you can grid out the coconut, if not (like us!) you can pick out the coconut meat carefully. Make sure that the coconut meat doesn’t have any bark on it.

Coconut Meat

Coconut meat with bark

Water with Coconut Meat, Ready to be Ground

Coconut water with coconut meat, ready to be ground

Coconut ground in coconut water

Coconut ground in coconut water

After grating the coconut, strain out the Coconut Milk.

Straining the Milk out of the Coconut

Straining the milk out of the coconut

Sifting the Flour

Sifting the flour

Sift the 2 Cups of Flour and add the Margarine, mixing by hand until the mixture is crumbly.

Butter mixed in by hand with flour

Butter mixed in by hand with flour

Add in dry ingredients: Sugar, Raisins, Spices, Baking Powder, and ground Coconut.

Dry Ingedients

Dry ingedients

Beat Eggs, Vanilla, and Coconut Milk. Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients slowly. Final dough is moist and sticky. Use a spoon to drop large spoonfuls on a well-greased baking sheet and sprinkle generously with course brown sugar.

Powder dough dough on pan

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Powder Bun with Coffee!

Powder Bun with Coffee!

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 Cup Margarine
  • 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar or White Sugar
  • 1/2 Cup Raisins
  • 2 Tsp Baking Powder
  • 2 Medium Eggs
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla
  • 1 Tsp Cinnamon
  • 1 Tsp Nutmeg
  • 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk or Evaporated Milk
  • 1 Cup�Shredded�Fresh Coconut (You can also use store-bought, but keep in mind, it has added sugar)

COOKING TEMPERATURE:

• 370 Degrees

COOKING TIME:

• 15-20 Minutes or until golden brown.

Source

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Trouble Shooting Belizean Powder Buns

In this video, I go through all the aspects of how to measure the dry and wet ingredients to make our Belizean Poda Buns. I've come to the realization that some of my Belizean viewers are still using coffee cups and eating utensils to measure the ingredients and this will give different results that using the universal measuring utensils.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Powder Bun Bars

This the 1/2 recipe of Belizean Powder (Poda) Buns. Instead of making them individually, I made them like a bar and cut them into serving size bars. You won't have to put your hand into a sticky dough if you don't want to. These are delicious and simple to make.

Powder Bun - Cooking with Flavors of Belize

The ultimate Belizean comfort food is actually way easier to make than you think. Powder Bun (powdah bun) is sold in almost every bakery across the country and is frequently eaten as a sugary treat for those with a sweet tooth or at tea time as a light snack.

Toaster Oven Meals | Belizean Poda Buns

My oven went out so I decided to make Powder Buns in my toaster oven.

Powder (Poda) Buns Using Mom's Secret Ingredient

Mom had a trick up her sleep when it came to making Poda Buns. This one single ingredient makes these buns so special.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Powder Buns

Ingredients

6 cups all purpose Flour
6tsp. Baking powder
3 ozs. Margarine
6 ozs. Shortening
1/2-1 cup Raisins
1tsp. Grated Nutmeg
2 1/2 cups of Sugar
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups coconut or evaporated milk
1 egg
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp vanilla essence

Method

1. Wash hands
2. Grease baking sheet
3. Sift flour, salt and baking powder
4. Add sugar, cinnamon powder & grated nutmeg
5. Add shortening ,egg and margarine . Cut into flour mixture or rub in with fingers
6. Add vanilla and milk . Mix with wooden spoon
7. Add raisins, mix well
8. Use dessert spoon and drop by spoonful on greased baking sheet
9. Bake on middle or top shelf at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Yields 3 doz. buns

===========================

[Linked Image]
How To Make Belizean Powder Buns

Have you ever tried Belizean Powder Buns? Whether you're dipping it in a delicious cup of morning brew, having it as a snack while on-the-go or at dinner-time with your favorite portions of cheese; powder buns are tasty treat no matter the time of day!

Known locally as "Pow-da" bun, the pastry is a staple snack in Creole households across the country. Easy to make and even easier to eat, powder buns are a lightly sweetened, fluffy and typically crumbly, treat. Some seasoned travelers would even compare it to an English scone.

If you're a foodie like us, you'll be sure to enjoy our cooking guide to making Belizean Powder Buns:

Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Makes/Servings: 7

Ingredients

1-1/2 cups coconut milk or evaporated milk
A pinch of salt
6 ozs (3/4 cup) shortening
3 tsps vanilla
6 tsps baking powder
1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
2 ozs (1/4 cup) margarine
1/2-1 cup raisin (optional)
2-1/2 cups of sugar
1 tsp grated nutmeg
6 cups all-purpose flour

Method

Grease baking sheet.

Sift flour, salt and baking powder.

Add sugar, cinnamon powder and grated nutmeg. Mix together.
Add shortening and margarine. Cut into flour mixture or rub in with fingers.

Add vanilla and coconut/evaporated milk. Mix with wooden spoon.
Add raisins (optional). Mix well.

Use dessert spoon and drop mix by spoonful on greased baking sheet.

Bake on middle or top shelf at 375 F. for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Brown Sugar Poda Buns

These powder buns or poda buns are a spin on the original Belizean powder buns. I use brown sugar instead of white sugar. I add an ingredient that wasn't in the original version and I used Lactose Free milk. They are soft and light.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.