Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#462051 04/10/13 12:19 AM
OP Offline
I think I read (quite some time back) that horses were seen on the island. Are they still there? If not, why? and If so, how are they doing?

I know there must be some people who have chickens. So, how do they do? Can you get feed for them fairly easy?

What about goats? Anybody? Source of feed?

Are there any laws or restrictions by the SP Town Council regarding livestock on the island?

I don't remember ever seeing anything other than dogs and cats and I'm just wondering if it is because livestock doesn't do well in the environment or if I just didn't see any.

Words have power. Speak it into existence.
As far as I know the horses are gone, but I could be wrong. I believe two of those horses died fairly quickly after coming here. Caring for horses here is extremely difficult and expensive as there is no grazing and feed must be imported from the mainland. I believe that an 'exception' had been made in the case of those horses, but that generally horses are not allowed. Many people have chickens. Go visit Marina's store. They have chickens and guineas. You can get feed from Reimer's in Belize City. There have been goats and even pigs kept on the island at certain times of year for the purpose of slaughter.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

collyk #462099 04/10/13 10:51 AM
Pigs, you say? Well, I think I've run into a few 2-legged of the species from time-to-time. smile

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Goats will eat anything; even tin cans. In the logging areas of Oregon, when the loggers are finished they bring in a heard of goats 'to clean up the trash.' They do a mighty fine job too.

Chickens and rabbits seem to do well here but I don't know about ducks or geese.

Pigs should do well but with the soil so sandy I don't know if they could be contained. Pigs are escape artists and can root out of anything but a deeply sunken strong fence. AND the smell is awful! I'm speaking from experience. My birthday gift for my 6th birthday was a little red pig with a curly tail.. I had to chase her everyday until we ate her.

I know the guy who had two horses had them taken away from him with the charge of animal cruelty based on the fact that the vegetation here was not sustainable.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
R
R
We used goats in the Carolinas to eat Kudzu, and they got rid of the damned stuff for free

C
C
Which of the Carolinas robvee......there's 2 of them if you didn't know grin

R
R
Geez Actually lived in Tryon the border between the two runs thro the town So i stand by the Carolinas

R
R
Clover I see you dont know were the H''' you live either Charlotte hasnt got a Harbour

C
C
LOL....Geography isn't your strong suit is it?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=charlotte+harbor,+florida&aq=f&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

Tryon isn't on the border of both states.

The city limits at the South Carolina border.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=tryon,+south+carolina&aq=f&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

R
R
What ru talking about I lived there 6 yrs i was in NC as you head towards Landrum you pass over the SC border Youve just proved it, the city limits is SC Geez Wakey Wakey

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 340 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.