Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Tonight, the San Pedro Sun is reporting that island police have found the remains of a human adult. It was found in about three to four feet of water on southern Ambergris Caye - about three miles south of the island. The find has aroused interest because - according to the Sun - since 2011, five persons have gone missing on Ambergris Caye. Families of those persons are urged to contact San Pedro police.

Channel 7

also note in another news article the comment that these bones were found near an area where there are Mayan remains - I'd be careful rushing to judgement on this one

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
here's more information in the San Pedro Sun....

Human remains found in the Boca Ciega area of Ambergris Caye

San Pedro Police have recovered the skeletal remains of a human adult. The almost complete skeleton was found in about three to four feet of water in the Boca Ciega area of Ambergris Caye. A team of investigators and police officers visited the area after receiving information about the remains from a local fisherman who came across the bones.

Officer in Charge of the San Pedro Police Formation Superintendent Luis Castellanos told The San Pedro Sun that sometime over the Easter vacation, a local fisherman who was on a fishing expedition with his family came across the bones under the water. Police said that they visited the area some three miles southwest of San Pedro Town on the leeward side of Ambergris Caye but their first search was unsuccessful. After speaking with the local fisherman, police officers were then taken Human-Remains-found-Offshore-3to the area on Wednesday April 10th where the remains were found.

According to Superintendent Castellanos, the bones were taken out of the sea after police officers dove and recovered the remains. The bones, including a complete skull with the jawbones and dentures, ribs, pelvic bones, vertebra and femurs, were all found together near a mangrove patch. "It will be a little difficult to establish the identity of the person but because of the size of the bones, we strongly believe it is that of an adult person," said Superintendent Castellanos.

The none-calcified bones will be taken to the forensic laboratory to see if the identity of the person can be established. According to Police, the families of missing people on the island will be contacted to collect hair samples, buccal swabs as well as medical and dental record to see if it matches that of the remains found. Of note is that since 2011, five people have gone missing on Ambergris Caye and there has been absolutely no trace of them since.

http://www.sanpedrosun.com/police-n...n-the-boca-ciega-area-of-ambergris-caye/

K
K
I think the dentures are a clue it's not a Mayan artifact.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
I'm thinking dentures is a misnomer.....

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Violet Jones believes found bones are from lost son

Matthew Gonzalez

On January nineteenth, 2011 distraught mother Violet Jones visited our studio to plead with the public for information on the whereabouts of her son, Matthew Gonzalez. Matthew lived in San Pedro, and had not been seen since January seventh, when reports are he went fishing. No information ever surfaced, and Violet Jones never found any peace or closure. But two years after, she says that bones found by the Police in the sea just off San Pedro last week are the remains of her son Matthew. Today she visited our studio again, this time to update us on the discovery.

Violet Miles, Mother of Matthew Gonzalez

"When Matthew was fourteen years old, I had him did a refilling ina ih mouth. When dehn call me and dehn tell me that dehn find this bone in San Pedro, I ask the officer; I say the only thing I could identify Matthew by right now dah ih teeth. I say that dah the only thing I could identify him by because at this point, from two years ago, you can’t find nothing else pan wah bone ina water. I tell ahn ih teeth wah got wah ivory filling and then ih got some; ih jaw teeth, some of them decayed. So that was the only thing I coudla mi identify him by."

Mike Rudon

"Now have you gone to see the bones?"

Violet Miles

Violet Miles

"Yes sir."

Mike Rudon

"You are confident after looking at the bones that those are the bones of your son?"

Violet Miles

"Yes sir, because I ask the officers about the bones that they found because Matthew was the biggest person ina body weh gone missing. And me and my two daughters ask the officers the same question; if he was the biggest person gone missing ina dehn time? And they said yes. And the boen weh dehn got there dah from wah very big person. The teeth dehn; my daughter dehn identify the teeth dehn and dehn say the same thing weh I say. That dah why I ker mi two daughters with me fi see it."

Mike Rudon

"Where they have the bones now?"

Violet Miles

"The bones are at San Pedro Police Station ina wah house weh dehn say they are sun-drying the bone."

Mike Rudon

"Have they accepted your identification that that is your son?"

Violet Miles

"Yes sir, but at this point, dehn tell we that we can’t get a death certificate if dehn just deliver the bone like that. So dehn ask me if I could wait wah next two weeks or more until they send out the DNA and confirm completely that that is him. Then they will be able to give us the bone so that we can have a funeral."

Miles says the discovery has brought her some closure, but she still has a lot of questions which she needs to have answered before she will be satisfied. One of those questions is why the bones have just been discovered, since Police say they were found in only two feet of water on the south side of San Pedro.

Channel 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.