Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Dredging - mangrove clearance taking place north of marina channel

The San Pedro Sun can confirm that dredging is taking place in an area north of the San Pedro Marina Channel (located south-west of Ambergris Caye). The person to whom the dredging permit has been issued to is Darrin Sherry for Royal Belizean Land Co. S.A. The San Pedro Sun can also confirm that the recommendation was granted by the San Pedro Town Council (SPTC) and signed by Mayor Daniel Guerrero on April 2, 2013.

Documents obtained by The San Pedro Sun shows that the owner of Lot Number 5481 and 5482 in the San Pedro Registration Section intends to dredge a total of 76, 917 cubic yards of sand, silt and mud. However the person has divided the dredging into three phases; the first will see 16,851 cubic yards of material dredged, the second 11,666 cubic yards and the third 48,400 cubic yards. It is interesting to note that the law requires an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for any dredging exceeding 50,000 cubic yards of material.

On March 8, 2013, the Government of Belize, through the Department of Natural Resources and the Environment approved a mining (dredging) permit which expires on December 31, 2013. The permit was granted a month before Sherry received the recommendation from the SPTC. The permit (for extraction) indicates that not more than 16,000 cubic yards of material shall be extracted from burrow sites around the properties in question.

Besides dredging, the owners are also filling a mangrove area. At this point The San Pedro Sun is unable to verify if the person has been granted mangrove clearance, or if an EIA has been conducted for the extraction of material from the area.

Dredging has commenced and already some local sports and traditional fishermen have begun to express concern about activities in the area. According to several fisher-folk in the area, located directly south by southeast of Cayo Espanto or south of Cayo Romero on the leeward side of Ambergris Caye, is prime habitat for two species of fish protected by fishing laws in Belize. The area is known as one of the main habitats for juvenile permit fish and bonefish. The shallow area is no more than two feet in depth and is used for sport fishing as it is considered bonefish 'tailing' (the water is so shallow the fish tails can be seen) grounds.

The San Pedro Sun will continue following this story.

Click here for more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Terrible dredging on the north end of Ambergris Caye

On Tuesday, OCEANA won a major legal victory when six oil contracts were declared null and void by the Supreme Court. Tonight, there is a developing story from San Pedro that is stirring unease on the island. It is reported that north of San Pedro's Marine Channel, seventy-six point nine cubic yards are being dredged for sand, silt and mud. Investor, Darrin Sherry, was issued a permit on behalf of Royal Belizean Land Company on March eighth, which is even before the San Pedro Town Council issued a recommendation. It is not known for what precisely the dredging is taking place but reports say it a large scale development is involved. The dredging will take place in three stages and already there is concern because the area is one of the main habitats for juvenile permit fish and the activities are also clogging the marina channel. The reports also say that the filling of a nearby mangrove area is taking place, but there doesn't seem to be any permit for that. News Five will continue to follow up on this story.

Channel 5

Shameful and embarrassing. Some people think money is more important than our reef and ecosystem. I wonder who.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Of course we must find the balance between development and conservation.

Will the conservationist groups pay the land owner sufficient compensation so that he doesn't develop? Developers have families to feed too. As do the guys that are hired to do the physical work. And the fuel company that sold them the fuel to operate the machinery etc etc down the line.

Although conservation is highly important so is development. Yes we want to maintain our ecosystem, reef and fishing grounds, but we also have hundreds, if not thousands of new births and immigrants each year that are seeking jobs and a way to feed and house their families here on the island.

The money to sustain a population that is increasing exponentially is raised by development.

No matter what side of the fence you are on and no matter what your personal and business interests are we must all realize and accept and understand that we all depend on each other on this island - our circles are entwined and our actions and inactions impact one another.

We need development to sustain our population, we need to preserve our eco system to sustain our industries.

It's a catch 22 situation. We are in a symbiotic relationship with mother nature and the ugly mighty dollar.

Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
Developers have families to feed too.

Thanks Amanda Its been a slow day at the office.
Your unique logic always entertains me.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Amanda, what does any of that have to do with the fact that they didn't follow the law? Are you suggesting that because developers 'have families to feed too' that they are somehow above the law? I'm sure that is not the case. My comments about this being shameful and embarrassing refer to the way that this has been done.

Not to mention that there won't be much of a community to sustain once the reef has been destroyed. Yes, a balance is important. Please do let me know when you notice that it's balanced. So far, it's all been about the development. I would love to see it balanced equally between protecting our natural resources, upon which we all depend and lining the pockets of individuals.

www.conchcreative.com

The story I read showed all of the legal permits. I am not for anyone thinking or acting as if they are above the law. Just because a journalist didn't locate the permits doesn't mean they weren't issued. Especially when another journalist located them and printed them for the public to see.

Just because permits have been issued doesn't mean they followed the law - or are doing something balanced and beneficial to Ambergris Caye. Permits are pretty easy to come by. Barrier reefs are not.

Oh and please do let me know if you know any of these developers that are having a difficult time feeding their family. I'd be happy to buy them some rice and beans.

www.conchcreative.com

L
L
What has transpired with the Sugar Caye development? They removed mangroves for that development , I assume that too has gone under. So very sad!!

R.B. Mernitz
JZB Offline
With the failed 'developments' on that side of the island, there shouldn't be any further development allowed until the current ones can be dusted off and proven to work. Why are we destroying the nature to build another ghost town?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.