Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46347 12/21/01 11:35 AM
M
martha Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I was looking for some input on a few of the lower priced hotels. Spind Rift?, Conch Shell?, The Village Residence?, Hideaway Sports Lodge?, Martha's Hotel?, Rubie's Hotel?, Lily's Hotel?.
If anyone could give me any info on these places it would be greatly appreciated.

#46348 12/21/01 12:45 PM
Here's my take on the budget hotels on the island. Just my opinion; your mileage may vary.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First www.belizefirst.com

>>

(listed north to south)

* * Hotel Del Rio, Boca Del Rio Drive, tel./fax 501-26-2286; e-mail [email protected]; //www.ambergriscaye.com/hoteldelrio/index.html. At this small seafront operation, you have the choice of a big cabaña, a small cabaña, less-expensive rooms in a Mexican-style building and even more modest rooms in a guesthouse. This is not a fancy resort, and there's no air-conditioning, but this spot has personality some other places lack. In-season doubles are US$45 to $95, off-season US$40 to $85, plus tax. About a 10-minute walk to town. Bottom line: Worth considering if you're watching your pennies and want a bit of thatch ambiance.

* + Conch Shell, Barrier Reef Drive, P.O. Box 43, San Pedro; tel. 501-26-2062; e-mail [email protected]; AmbergrisCaye.com/conchshell/index.html. This center-of-town, water-front two-story hotel, with its wood-frame construction, ceiling fans and linoleum floors, is a good option for travelers who just want a clean, simple place to stay. Rates around US$54 double October to April, US$30 the rest of the year, including tax (but plus a 7% service charge). Bottom line: One of the better budget choices in town.

* * Lili's Hotel, Barrier Reef Drive, San Pedro; tel. 501-26-2059, fax 26-2623; e-mail [email protected]; //www.ambergriscaye.com/lilys/index.html. This family-run budget favorite has been around for more than 30 years, recently going upmarket a bit with air-conditioning and some remodeling. Regulars prefer the seafront rooms. Those on the second-floor have breezy verandahs with sea views, while the first-floor rooms are for the gregarious who like to gab with passersby. Rooms are smallish and simple, but all have fridges and comfortable beds. Doubles US$55 to $65 off-season, US$65 to $75 in-season. Bottom line: An old favorite budget hotel has gotten better, though a bit more expensive.

* San Pedrano, Barrier Reef Drive, San Pedro; tel. 501-26-2054, fax 26-2093. Six-room budget spot near the water. Bottom line: For the budget-minded.

* Martha's, Pescador Drive and Ambergris Street, P.O. Box 27, San Pedro; tel. 501-26-2053, fax 26-2589; e-mail [email protected]; //www.AmbergrisCaye.com/marthas/index.html. In the middle of town, not on the water, but a good budget choice with 12 clean rooms in a three-story wood building. No air conditioning and no phones in rooms. Rates US$27.50 double off-season, US$35 in-season, including tax. Monthly rates available off-season. Bottom line: Definitely stretches your lodging dollar.

* * + Spindrift, Barrier Reef Drive, San Pedro; tel. 800-688-0161 or 501-26-2174, fax 26-2251; e-mail [email protected]; //www.AmbergrisCaye.com/spindrift/index.html. This dominating three-story concrete hotel won't win any awards from Architectural Digest, but it is on the water in the center of town, with 22 rooms and 2 one-bedroom apartments. All but the cheapest rooms have air-conditioning. Caliente restaurant is on the first floor, and the hotel hosts the "famous chicken drop" at which drinkers bet on where a chicken will poop. Doubles US$48 to $83, apartments US$110, all plus tax and 5% service. Bottom-line: In-town convenience and a good place if you like chickens.

* + Coral Beach Hotel and Dive Club, P.O. Box 16, San Pedro; tel. 501-26-2013, fax 26-2864; e-mail [email protected]; www.coralbeachhotel.com. The 19 rooms at this long-established in-town spot, located across Barrier Reef Drive from the sea, are small and basic, but all have fans and some have air-conditioning. It is owned by locals Alan and Helen Forman. Long known for its focus on diving, the focus is a bit less so since the sinking of the owners' boat, the Offshore Express, at Lighthouse Reef in 2001. Rates US$45 double with fan, US$65 with A/C, year-round, plus tax and 8% service. Bottom line: Another choice for the budget-minded.

�* * Rubie's (also known as Ruby's), Barrier Reef Drive, P.O. Box 56, San Pedro, tel. 501-26-2063, fax 26-2434, e-mail [email protected]; //www.AmbergrisCaye.com/rubys/index.html. This is the favorite of many value-conscious visitors. Rooms in the old wooden building are basic but clean, most with shared baths; those on the street side can be a little noisy. Year-round rates: older rooms with fans, US$15 to $30 double plus tax (cheaper rooms have share baths); rooms in a new concrete addition on the ocean side sport A/C and private baths and go for around US$48 plus tax, but still an excellent value. Good inexpensive breakfasts and light meals in the first-floor restaurant. It's often full. Bottom line: One of the island's best values. �

* * Hideaway Sports Lodge, Coconut Drive, P.O. Box 43, San Pedro; tel. 501-26-2141, fax 26-2269; e-mail [email protected]; www.hideawaysportslodge.com. This 17-room hotel is about one-half mile south of town in the same area as the Belize Yacht Club and Changes in Latitudes, and across the road from the beach. Texan-owned, the Hideaway is hard to hide, as it's painted a bright yellow with green trim. It's for travelers looking for value and needing just a simple room not on the water. Some units have A/C, but most have fans only. Inexpensive restaurant serves authentic Tex-Mex vittles like chicken-fried steak and burritos. A bonus is the very nice pool. Rates (in this case they include tax) off-season US$45 to $85, in-season US$55-90. Group rates start at US$40 a day per person including meals. Bottom line: Simple rooms with extras like a pool.

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#46349 12/21/01 01:38 PM
G
G
I can only speak about Ruby's as I have not stayed at any of the others--but I always try to spend at least a few days of my vacay there--it's simple, cheap and the location is perfect, decks are great fun to meet others, watch the world go by, greet the sunrise (with some breakfast from their deli). It just has alot of character! I would definitely recommend Ruby's to anyone wanting to save some money on their lodging!

#46350 12/25/01 10:20 PM
K
K
Ditto to the above comments about Rubies!
Last May we stayed for almost two weeks on
the third floor (ocean side) and loved it!
We visited Rubies Cafe in the a.m. for
java and a cinnamon roll - and enjoyed
the Carribean blue from our balcony while we eased into the day...it doesn't get much better than this!

Found that most of the people staying at
Rubies were wanting to stretch their $$$
and use the extra on adventure (i.e. scuba
and/or sightseeing trips, etc.)! Met a
couple from Chile - a family from Sweden -
etc. Very enlightning! Loved it! Wow -
it sure takes me back...here it is on Christmas Day evening - snow on the ground -
and I'm dreaming of San Pedro!

Rubies is family owned. We felt secure there. We would highly recommend it! Also -
you're within walking distance of most
everything. Check it out!

Happy Holidays!

#46351 12/26/01 12:09 AM
B
B
I stayed at Ruby's in May and again in July, both times in the new concrete addition w/air...plain but clean, comfortable, very helpful, friendly staff, a terrific view & convenient to everything...definitely a great deal

#46352 12/26/01 08:12 AM
D
D
I bring a group down to AC every year.
This year in Feb and we alway stay at Lilies
and have been very pleased. We gather on the
Porch in the morning and have been known to
read a good book most of the day out there.
Or meet for a snorkle run on the El Gato Catamaran with Geraldo and Justo. Anyway I do
love Lilies.I never have any complaints from
the group.
Try it you will like it....

#46353 12/26/01 10:26 AM
KBG Offline
SPINDRIFT, SPINDRIFT, SPINDRIFT
Can't say enough about the location, next door to Estelle's where you can have a beer for breakfast or take a swim while waiting on your Myan eggs. Rooms are basic but clean and you can't get any closer to Pier Lounge, Chicken Drop, BC's, Jerk Pit or Feido's. Go to AC soon and stay at the Spindrift. Stayed there lots of times and can't wait to get back.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 168 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.