Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I sure would appreciate it if someone could tell me what I should bring upon relocation to Ambergris Caye. I have heard that there is nice furniture to be had there but what about mattresses and sheets, kitchen dishes/pans/silverware, appliances, TVs, tools,etc.

Also, is it better to bring a golf cart or purchase one there? There is a particular kind of boat I want that is called a Twin Vee. It is manufactured near to where I live in Florida. If I purchase it here how do I get it to Ambergris Caye?

Which company is best to use for container shipping out of Miami? How do I ship boxes of items, but not a 1/2 or full container? If I purchase larger items in Belize how do I get them to the island?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Paula

Hi Steelrose. Everyone has different priorities but I can sure share mine with you. Bring as little as possible. The things that I am glad I did bring include decent electronics, which cost a bundle here, really good pots and pans and kitchen utensils because these are important to me. I'm very fussy about linen and towels, so those were important for me to bring in but you can get good quality cotton sheets here at a decent price if that's what you like. I'm very happy with the mattress we bought here and the price, but it depends on how fussy you are. It's not going to have as long a life, for sure, but it is comfy. Dishes are decent and can be bought here at a good price. TVs are expensive and I've been told that you can import them more cheaply. I still have a very old non digital TV I won in an auction raffle, which works fine for our needs. As I said, it does depend on priorities. Tools can be purchased here, but we find that whatever the quality, they'll wear out quickly due to the climate. Can't help you with golf cart or boat, nor shipping from Miami, but I have no doubt other message board members will chime in.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

We used Hyde shipping in Miami and they were great to work with. In fact we continue to use them for things like golf carts, etc. I would highly recommend you buy a boat and motor locally. My idea was like yours to buy what I wanted here and ship it down but this is not the best approach. The Mexican skiffs (pangas) used locally are much better suited to the sea conditions there. The outboard motors purchased in Belize are not the same as the US and parts for some of the US models are difficult to get. More importantly you are better off with a used boat and motor because they are not as attractive to thieves as bright shiny new US models. PM me if you want other information.

Captain One Iron
Things I'm glad we shipped down are, our Tempur-Pedic king and queen beds, my cast iron cookware, and electronics. I had also gotten some great advise on bringing down a years worth of the food items hard to get here. I also love to sew and do crafts and both items are hard to come by here so I brought down enough to do me for quite some time. Since I've been here I've learned that if you run hot it's better NOT to have high thread count bed sheets. The lower numbers (250 to 400) are ideal for breathing in the humidity and sleeping is easier. If you have any over the counter drugs you use I would recommend stocking up as they can be a little costly. If you would like more information you can PM and I'll be glad to help. You'll find this forum has great advise, I did. They helped me make fewer mistakes and saved me money in the long run.

P
P
I don't subscribe to not having things because they might get stolen. The best thing about a new outboard bought here is it is a lot cheaper. Yamaha - the most popular brand down here so easiest for parts - subsidise Engines for the Central America market to boost sales in an economically slower market and when I looked the differential was 30%.

R
ron Offline
R
I have been using Hyde Shipping in Miami for about 5 years. I never had a problem whether dealing with the Miami office or Belize office. I bought my Yamaha 4 stroke 25 hp motor in the states about 4 years ago. It cost me about $3400US plus about $500US to ship from CT to Miami. In Belize the price is about $10,000. I was going to buy a 40 hp Yamaha 4 stroke in the States for about $5,000, it cost almost $17,000BZ in Belize. I have never had a problem servicing my motor on Caye Caulker. If you want a 2 stroke you can't buy them in the US. I would rather have a new motor then a used one since my life depends on how well it runs. With a used motor no matter were you buy it is used!!! I still buy many things in the US since it is easier to shop in the States and the variety is better. As to supporting local business, my duties, GST and environmental tax supports the government anyhow. The boat itself I'd buy down there since the boats there are more setup for Belize. Since they are fiberglass, you can turn an old boat into something looking new relatively cheap. And you will support a local boat shop.

Last edited by ron; 05/02/13 12:17 PM.
P
P
^^Direct opposite to my experience, but more recent but mine was a 100HP.
edit. Costs not Hyde, who have always been great in our experience.

Last edited by Phil; 05/02/13 04:05 PM.
S
S
I would suggest bringing lightweight but high quality sheets / pillows / bedding + Bake/cookware. Also I have found that 100% cotton clothing is very difficult to find here (unless you shop at the second hand shops)....

+ OTC meds like aspirin and vitamins/nutritional supplements. Good luck with your move smile

C
C
I would not bring anything. Dishes etc, easy and cheap here. Sheets as well. Dont get crazy about bringing down a golf cart until you have permission from city council to do so. I know its exciting about the move and all but lots of mistakes can be made by going too fast.
Not sure about San Pedro but you cant even own a golf cart in Caye Caulker unless you are a legal resident.
Go to Mulcher for pots, pans, sheets, bedding etc. Go to Chetumal for electronics and tools. So much easier. You can take the water taxi to Chetumal and get all those hard to find food items..vitamins etc as well. Its a great trip. You can go in the morning and come back in the afternoon. You can actually get the one year warrenty on brand name electronics. Or spend the night, so many great restaurants. They even have a GNC vitamin/health store. Pillows...if you like a soft pillow, I love my feather pillows, pillows here suck....

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
L
L
Hyde Shipping is great. Carlos Sanchez and Benny Torres are who I have always dealt with. As for boats and motors. Pangas are great for the flats and inside the reef , but if you want to play in the "blue water" something with a lot more dead rise will be needed. Yamaha engines are far more expensive down here. The four stroke series are nearly twice the price of south Florida. Danny Madrid at Marelco in Belize City can quote them for you. Ask for the "cash price"
Remember boats and motors are assessed heavy import duties. I have always still found it cheaper to bring them from the states. A four stroke f150 is 20 grand us at Marelco now. You can get that same engine for 11k in the states.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.