Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#463277 04/28/13 03:28 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi Everyone,

Appreciate all your help in the past with my Lawyer questions, big help (JudyAnn).

My wife and I are on the way to Belize in June for an inspection trip and of course a vacation. It has been about 9 yrs since our last visit.

We are coming to look at real estate and I am wondering what people's thoughts are about the DFC village area? Is it safe, who generally lives there? It seems we can afford a place in this area but don't want to jump until we see the neighborhood etc. A good starter home while we get things moving.

Advice?

Thanks

Peter

D
D
We have been asking this question (and similar ones) for years. I think some people are reluctant to speak out against a specific neighborhood/area for fear of offending. PLEASE, let me know what you find. We are also looking to get a cheap start so we can have time to check the businesses for sale there. Good Luck. I hope you find what you are looking for in a home.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
S
S
There are some great areas in DFC to live, the only downside is the lack of zoning. You may buy a property to find out that six months later a woodshop opens up or a bar. Look for areas that have an established group of purely residential homes with long term home owners (not rentals) and you should be fine.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Simon for your help and advice.

D
D
What if we really don't care what moves in next door? Where would we find these properties? For sale or rent; agents don't seem to want to give out information on these less expensive house. Perhaps the commissions are not up to par? What about paying a finders fee to a family that might want to rent a couple of rooms with a yard. How would that be received?

You may not care what moves in next door, but you could find it hard to sell if you want to move. In England the commissions for selling a house is 1.5% in Belize it is up to 10% and more. Have you tried local papers that are on line?

S
S
There are plenty of these homes listed you just have to work with a good agent. Money is money and 10% on a $50K house is still pays the rent for some. A good agent will know about these but will also know that there are many "tire kickers" out there and won't invest a lot of time and energy unless they trust that you're serious and won't waste their time showing you 10 or 15 low priced properties. Inplub is right on the selling side.

D
D
We have gone so far as to offer several % over the regular commissions or a finders fee. We are guilty as far as a little "tire kicking" goes. But never to the point of having someone physically show us property. In the last several months we have given dates and other details, etc. and still very little info. from agents. Even offering to pay for a lease in full up front for 6 months to a year.

Don't get me wrong. We have spoken to some really great agents there. We just can't seem to find a small suitable rental. We have all but given up on a purchase until we can get there. My husband is so frustrated that he wants to move to the mainland. I think it will happen when its supposed to, but WOW is it frustrating trying to find a long term rental there.

Doglady- Don't know what your budget is or where you have looked but I found several long term rentals offered, plus a DFC house for sale here
http://www.sanpedrosun.com/classifieds/

Words have power. Speak it into existence.
S
S

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.