Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DogLady Offline OP
OP Offline
D
If we chose to live in San Pedro and bought our vegetables at the fruit stands; what would our grocery bill be for these items....
Powdered milk
beans--any kind
rice
chicken
flour
tortillas
eggs
We would get cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, and other veggies from the farmers while we are waiting to establish our own garden. We will also be raising chickens and rabbits (possibly) and who knows, a goat or two.

I know there are some really great Belizean cooks that sell flour tortillas out of their homes. We hear prices from .10-.20 cents each to 20 for 1.00. We are not fond of American style processed foods and would eat mostly local dishes.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
i think the real question you are getting at is: How much would it cost to live and eat like a local, not an expat?

A pack of homemade tortillas is about $1.25 bzd for 4. Eggs range from $.10 per to $.30 per egg based on whatever the menonites feel they should charge at any given time...

rice, beans, and the like are a couple dollars a pound, let's say $3 bzd as a good jumping off point.

Net net: if you eat completely local, you can expect to spend about $75 bzd a week on food per person. I eat like a local expat, and i spend about twice that... cheese is a killer to the budget, but i cannot live without cheese.

S
S
I have found that establishing a garden here is tough going - the sea salt spray and often poor quality soil (never mind the crabs and other critters!). I do grow herbs and a few items like papaya, bananas, spinach and peppers. Some have tried greenhouses, just not sure how successful this has been....

Living on the mainland is MUCH better on the budget!

You can also get excellent corn tortillas ---- they are sold by the pound (don't ask them for a dozen, they will think you are crazy). $1.25 - 1.50 Bz per pound - fresh and wonderful.

Slightly off topic: Where can I get a pound of good corn tortillas?
Thanks

S
S
Marina's

Originally Posted by Dawghed
Thanks

Tortilla factory on back street. Fresh off the griddle at mid-day.

C
C
raising a goat would be exceedingly difficult in that climate. You would have to import hay from the mainland (which is not always available and can be expensive) and feed (if you want a dairy goat, this is a must).

Goats?? lovely Stream of consciousness!
Goat milk yuck, That's how I was punished as a child :-)
$7.bz to 10bz will usually buy a wonderful plate of stewed chicken with beans and rice and potato salad. You could almost call it the National Dish.

Raise Goats, ha

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Originally Posted by Dawghed
Thanks

Domingo's Popular Tortilla on Back Street. Friendly folks and delicious, FRESH tortillas. Still warm when we got 'em home!

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.