Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46641 12/31/01 04:58 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi, My wife and I will be in AC 3/2 thru 3/9 And were wondering about a couple of things: How careful do you have to be about what/where you eat/drink and not taking a chance of getting sick? Also, since my wife is a novice diver, what are some easy dives? Thanks, Lee

#46642 12/31/01 08:20 PM
S
S
FOOD: No problem. I ate at the street venders many nights and had no problems.

I did get my hepatitis vaccine (highly recommended for any traveler, see your doctor and to be effective I believe immunization of some strains need 60 days). Ambergris is several notches above Mexico but there is still a lack of soap in bathrooms in restaurants. I also take 1/2 Imodium each morning..mostly to offset the change in food and beer consumption.

BEGINNER DIVING:
Almost all of the local reef diving is beginner level. The dive houses can start you off on the easiest. A good thing to do is to stay by the dive master and mimic him/her. While they stay above the group so the view is not a nice it's a great way to learn good technique. I do not recommend a night dive for a beginner as the current (tide) can be incredible.

I'd start with the Amigos Wreck (but I've not been to them all): 45 feet depth, moray eel should be there, great flats to hover over with many huge lobster, pillar coral. Abundant small fish, saw a turtle there.

Pillar Coral: 35' - 80' - 35'.
Tackle Box: 45' - 80' - 45'.

If she does well, love tunnel is a fun beginner dive with maybe a 50 foot tunnel (95 feet At the bottom?). Nothing down there after the tunnel. Great swim back up though the "ravines" and as usual, at about 40'. Very nice flats again.

The upper walls and tops of the channels are beautiful.

In the channels, which most dives will have, a current can surprise you around a bend and push you into the coral. It's not strong but enough to catch you off guard if you're going in for a look and suddenly realize there's pressure behind you and can't stop.

Hol Chan is one of the best shallow dives. However, there is a current so don't get too close to the coral with an inexperienced diver.

Keep those fins up! Have a great time.

Bob

#46643 01/02/02 08:46 AM
B
B
I would reccommend Bottom Time Dive shop and the divemaster Rudy. We were in Belize last year, well actually the end of 2000 and dove with them. They are very good at assessing your skill level and tailoring the dives to it. Also was good at giving pointers to improve your skills. Hope you have a great trip!

#46644 01/02/02 04:55 PM
You might want to see Anta at Belize Underwater Video. Her shop is in the center of town at the Island Plaza on Front Street.
There is nothing more exciting for a beginner diver than to take home a video of their dive.
Anta can set you up with Ched who is an independent dive master with his own boat or maybe Amigos Del Mar. Either one of these would be good for novice divers. With Ched you will get very personal attention. Tell them Harriette sent you.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#46645 01/03/02 05:40 PM
R
R
I'd like to reccommend a quick dive at Hol Chan Marine Reserve with Scuba Steve at Belize Ocean Divers. They are based at Journey's End Resort, but you do not have to be a guest at this resort to dive with him. He's GREAT!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 117 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,026
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.