Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#466585 06/14/13 05:57 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Theme for September Celebrations announced

"BELIZE IN YOU, BELIZE IN ME, LAND OF THE FREE." That is the theme chosen by the National Celebrations Commission for the 2013 September Celebrations, now just 2 � months away. The announcement was made this morning and the winning entry out of 125 was sent in by Janelle Mencias of Belize City.

We have a winner! Congratulations, Jeanelle Mencias, for coming up with this year's September Celebrations theme: "Belize in You, Belize in Me, Land of the Free." Shouldn't something that rhymes with 'you' be in the 3rd place? Like, ' The Baymen Knew.' Anyways, well done, and she will get $1000 for winning the competition.

"Belmopan resident Jeanelle Mencias has won the competition for the theme for the September Celebrations. A statement today from by the National Celebrations Commission announced that the theme to be used for the 215th anniversary of the Battle of St. George's Caye and the 32nd anniversary of Belize's Independence is: "Belize in you, Belize in me, Land of the Free." The official release says Mencias' submission was chosen from among 125 entries and was selected because "it engenders a spirit of personal pride and nationalism about being Belize and Belizean." As her prize, Mencias gets a cash award of BZ$1,000."

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Taiwan gives a substantial donation to September Celebrations

The September celebrations are just around the corner and the calendar of activities will surely include two major celebrations: the Battle of St George's Caye and Independence Day. To ease the Celebrations Commission, the government of Taiwan, through its embassy, made a generous contribution this morning. News Five's Isani Cayetano reports.

Isani Cayetano, Reporting

September Celebrations are, for most Belizeans at home and abroad, a series of activities on a month-long calendar, organized primarily in commemoration of two major historic events.� Two hundred and fifteen years ago, on September tenth, the Battle of St. George's Caye was fought and on September 21st, 1981, Belize gained independence from England.� Over the years, the festivities have grown to include an annual carnival road march, as well as a commercial expo, to name a few.� Along with growth comes a need for a bigger budget.

Diane Haylock, Co-Chair, September Celebrations Commission

Diane Haylock

"Our government does a great job in isolating some funds for these activities on an annual basis; in fact, we were able to get a little bit more from government, you know, this year than in previous years.� But we always have to do a little extra fundraising from other sources."

On hand to assist is the Government of the Republic of China (Taiwan).� This morning, a check for twenty thousand US dollars was handed over to the September Celebrations Commission by Taiwanese ambassador David Wu.

Ambassador David Wu, Republic of China (Taiwan)

"We are very pleased to collaborate with the celebrations commission organized by Minister Manuel Heredia and Ms. Diane Haylock.� So, I hereby handover this check to Ms. Diane Haylock.� We're honored [to be a part of the] celebration.� Thank you."

Diane Haylock

"Ambassador, once again I must say thanks to you on behalf of the National Celebrations Commission."

The itinerary, according to Haylock, includes the National Song Competition to be held this Saturday in Belize City, followed by several other activities leading up to the official launch of September Celebrations at the beginning of next month.

Diane Haylock

"On the tenth of August, which is this coming Saturday, we have the National Song Competition and our reason for having that so early is because once the competition is over then we want to be sure to get the songs being played on the airwaves.� So the National Song Competition takes place on the tenth and then I believe the Queen of the Bay pageant's committee is having two different activities.� They have a talent event which I think is about the seventh of August and then the actual competition is on the thirty-first of August.� And there are a number of other activities actually happening on the thirty-first. The actual launch takes place on the first of September on St. George's Caye, the first capital of the country, and alongside that is the battle regatta which takes place out there on the caye as well.

In the past, monetary donations from the Taiwanese government had been used for fireworks; however, the focus has shifted towards investment in cultural activities instead. Reporting for News Five, I am Isani Cayetano.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

September events

September is just a few weeks away, and the National Institute of Culture and History has released the calender of events for this year's September Celebrations. Cayo's events are on page 14, Belmopan's on page 5, and Benque's on 6. The events start this weekend with the presentation of the Queen of the West contestants, and the King of the Hills bike race. Next week will be the big presentation, which will be at the Cayo Welcome Center, where In Bloom and Note by Note will be playing.

The month of September is a special time for all Belizeans. It is when we collectively celebrate what makes us who we are, what defines us as a people, culture and nation. It is when our national pride shines brightest, when our sense of identity seems strongest. The theme this year, Belize in You, Belize in Me, Land of the free... speaks to all...it also beckons for a reflectiveness and re-commitment from us as a people to re-affirm and proudly emulate that which is Belizean in ALL of us.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
On Sunday, September 1, the launching of the National September Celebration festivities will take place on St. George's Caye.

A chartered boat will be leaving at 8:00 a.m. from the San Pedro Belize Express Terminal.

You must sign up at the Belize Tourism Board (BTB) office located on Barrier Reef Drive. Space is limited and will be given on a first come first serve basis.

There will be food sales on the island but we do encourage you to take food to be sure.

The boat will return at 3:00 p.m

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
September celebrations officially launched

The official ceremony marking the opening of the September Celebrations was held yesterday morning in St. George's Caye village, Belize district.

Present on the first capital of Belize for the festivities were dignitaries, including the Governor General Sir Colville Young, Minister of Tourism Manuel Heredia and members of the diplomatic and consular corps.

This year, Belizeans are celebrating the 215th anniversary of the Battle of St. George's Caye and the 32nd anniversary of nationhood, with Independence being granted on September 21st., 1981.

The 2013 September Celebrations are being held with the theme: "Belize in you, Belize in me, Land of the Free."

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Opening Of The Celebration Season

On Sunday the official ceremony marking the opening of the September Celebrations was held in the one-time colonial capital of Belize, St. George's Caye. This year the country will be celebrating its 215th anniversary of the Battle of St. George's Caye and the 32nd anniversary of Independence. The village chairman of St. Geroge;s Caye underscored the importance of the Tenth:�

Johnny Searle Jr. -Chairman of St. George's Caye
"As the chairman of the St. George's Caye Village Council, it's my honor and privilege to welcome you to St. George's Caye for the opening ceremonies of the September Celebrations. As I look around I see many familiar faces and I see a few new ones but the one thing I saw in everyone's face this morning as I greeted everyone, was that they have this joy and happiness in them that's Belize. I'm not sure, I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, or even if it's one single thing but I think it's a number of factors that come together when you are here in Belize. Even the visitors that come to Belize see it and they feel it too and if they stay for a while, they get it too, because it's contagious. It doesn't take too long for someone to be in Belize to get it. Maybe some of the council core and diplomatic core might even have it already. I know for sure that the Baymen had it, my wife who's from the United States, I know she's had it too, because I hear it every day when she says 'morning' and perhaps it's the smiles and friendliness of the people, perhaps it's something in the water, or in the rice and beans and chicken, in the sea breeze or maybe even something in the Belikin, but for sure everyone in Belize has that special something that makes us uniquely Belizean and therefore, the theme of this year's September celebrations, 'Belize in you, Belize in me, Land of the Free', fits in very well. There is something else that makes the theme fit in, as we celebrate the 32nd anniversary of our independence, and the 215th anniversary of the Battle of St. George's Caye, that is because our journey to 'Land of the Free', started right here at St. George's Caye. So today as we celebrate the opening of the September Celebrations, take a look around and tell me if you don't see it, and if you don't feel it, 'Belize in you, Belize in me, Land of the free'."

The theme of this year's September celebration is "Belize in You, Belize in Me, Land of the free".

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The San Pedro Town Council invites residents who are originally from the following countries: Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama and Costa Rica who have made Belize their home to be a part of Central American Night celebrating the eve of independence of these countries to be held at the Central Park on September 14, 2013. Please contact the San Pedro Town Council to sign up for a booth and other details.

DEADLINE: Friday, September 6, 2013

Tel: 226-2936 or [email protected]

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

September celebrations begin

vlcsnap-2013-09-03-11h40m33s116The Battle of St. George’s Caye turns 215 years old this year and for the fifth consecutive year the official launch took place on the little island where Belize was born, St George's Caye. Belize's first Capital lies eight miles east of Belize City and guests had to travel by boat to arrive at the location. In welcoming the gathering village chairman John Searle Jr. said there is something Belizean in all of us.

John Searle Jr - St George's Caye Village Chairman:

vlcsnap-2013-09-03-11h34m19s204As the chairman of the St. George’s Caye Village Council, it’s my honor and privilege to welcome you to St. George’s Caye for the opening ceremonies of the September Celebrations. As I look around I see many familiar faces and I see a few new ones but the one thing I saw in everyone’s face this morning as I greeted everyone, was that they have this joy and happiness in them that’s Belize. I’m not sure, I can’t put my finger on exactly what it is, or even if it’s one single thing but I think it’s a number of factors that come together when you are here in Belize. Even the visitors that come to Belize see it and they feel it too and if they stay for a while, they get it too, because it’s contagious. It doesn’t take too long for someone to be in Belize to get it. Maybe some of the council core and diplomatic core might even have it already. I know for sure that the Baymen had it, my wife who’s from the United States, I know she’s got it too, because I hear it every day when she says ‘morning’ and perhaps it’s the smiles and friendliness of the people. �Perhaps it’s something in the water, or in the rice and beans and chicken, or in the sea breeze, but for sure everyone in Belize has that special something that makes us uniquely Belizean and therefore, the theme of this year’s September celebrations, ‘Belize in you, Belize in me, Land of the Free’, fits in very well. There is something else that makes the theme fit in, as we celebrate the 32nd anniversary of our independence, and the 215th anniversary of the Battle of St. George’s Caye, that is because our journey to ‘Land of the Free’, started right here at St. George’s Caye. So today as we celebrate the opening of the September Celebrations, take a look around and tell me if you don’t see it, and if you don’t feel it, ‘Belize in you, Belize in me, Land of the free’.

Minister of Tourism and Culture Manuel Heredia Jr. told us why the tradition and pomp of the two major holidays celebrated in this month still matter.

vlcsnap-2013-09-03-11h38m43s53Manuel Heredia Jr. – Minister of Tourism and Culture:

It's more like a tradition that we hold high.� The activities that are planned, a calendar of events every year, is like a tradition or repetition of what is done every year.� Other municipalities or other places will tend a little different things like that, but it's almost a repetition of what we have every year.

vlcsnap-2013-09-03-11h49m05s157The official theme is “Belize in you, Belize in me, Land of the Free,” coined by Jeanelle Mencias, collected her thousand-dollar prize on Sunday.

Annual Battle Regatta at St George’s Caye

vlcsnap-2013-09-03-12h00m21s127While on land there was commemoration of the Battle of St. George’s Caye, on the waters surrounding the island there was a different sort of battle between crews of young sailors, at the annual Battle Regatta. Now in its third year, the event seeks to promote the continued development of sailing. We spoke to Roberto Pott, spokesman for the Belize Sailing Association.

Roberto Pott – �Spokesman for the Belize Sailing Association;

vlcsnap-2013-09-03-11h56m22s79We've been having Regattas for the last three years.� We also introduced a new class of boat to Belize about three years ago, which was exclusively for use for ages eight to fifteen years old.� It's a single sail, single sailor rig boat.� It's called the Optimist.� This is what we've been working on.� We're up to about 36 boats in Belize, and we have sailors coming around the country.� We're up to about eight Regattas annually, and St George's Caye is where we host the Battle Regatta.� It's one off the top Regattas.� It's one of the best locations for a Regatta, because of the beautiful environment, and the festivities in September.� So this is one of the races that you want to attend.

The Belize City and San Pedro clubs won top honors on the day. Roberto Pott tells us more about the Associations plans.

Roberto Pott: �

vlcsnap-2013-09-03-11h59m46s136There's only one age group and it's both genders, male and female sailors.� We have 30 sailors out today.� The winner will be those with the top points.� It's a low point system.� Whoever comes in the higher ranks ends up being the winner for the day for that class.

The Battle Regatta is part of the annual calendar of the Association.

PlusTV

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Awesome article in the San Pedro Sun today on the September Celebrations. Tons of great photos

Belize in You, Belize in Me, Land of the Free!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Toledo's Jahrine Avila is the Next Queen of the Bay

Jahrine Avila, Queen of the Bay 2013

Jahrine Avila will be crowned Queen of the Bay at the Battle of St. George's Caye Day ceremony on Tuesday, September 10th. Avila represented the district of Toledo at the 68th Queen of the Bay pageant at the Bliss Center for Performing Arts this past Friday, August 30th.

Seven of Belize's most beautiful young ladies participated in this year's Queen of the Bay pageant. The organizers listened to the critiques of the pageant's supporters and made a change in the format this year. Many complained that the pageant was getting a bit too long and boring over recent years. Therefore, the Queen of the Bay Committee made special emphasis on the talent segment and promoted it as an event of its own. The Queen of the Bay talent competition was held on Saturday, August 17th. Queen of the Bay Belmopan, Mikayla Banner, won the talent competition doing a monologue in which she addressed some of the positive and negative features of Belize. She spoke of the natural wonders and warmth of the people but also expressed concern about the increase in gang violence. Banner ended by saluting our servicemen and women by marching off in a Belize Defense Force uniform. Jahrine Avila finished second in the talent competition. She did a presentation on the various ethnic groups in Belize with the central idea being that we are one people. She came out in a cultural outfit and danced to several genres of music. In her monologue she spoke of the migration of various groups to Belize and the contributions each have made. At the end she challenged everyone to go and check the pots of the Creole, Chinese, Mayas, Mestizos, East Indians and Garinagus on Sundays. She said you would find rice and beans in all of them.

Since the talent competition was held two weeks earlier, the candidates were able to focus on the formal segments for pageant night. The Bliss was not sold out but most of the seats at both levels were occupied. Of the seven candidates, four were representing Belize City. Sadly, the candidates from the city had the least supporters- almost none. Queen of the Bay Belmopan, Miss Stann Creek, Vernicia Vernon, and Queen of the Bay Toledo had the largest support group. There were three segments on Friday: introduction, evening gown and final question. During the introduction, each candidate gave a description of where or what they are representing. Toledo, Stann Creek and Belmopan immediately separated themselves from the rest of the candidates as the three most legit contenders for the throne. After the introductions, Her Graciousness, Yadira Argueta, made her way down the aisles of the lower section of the Bliss as her loyal subjects gazed upon her heavenly beauty. She took her place on the throne to look for a successor worthy of being the symbol of love. Miss Emma explained certain characteristics Her Graciousness looks for in a successor: "The Queen of the Bay must be as strong as the Mahogany Tree but as flexible and tough as a pine tree." The evening gown section includes the execution of the curtsy which seeks to prove exactly how strong, flexible and graceful each candidate is. The Queen of the Bay is the only pageant that features the curtsy and it is the most weighted, in terms of points, feature of the pageant. Five finalists were selected after the evening gown segment: Jahrine Avila, Queen of the Bay Toledo; Mikayla Banner; Queen of the Bay Belmopan; Vernicia Vernon, Miss Stann Creek; Winter Haule, Miss Black Orchid; and Shamira Neal, Miss Barrier Reef.

The finalists were each asked a question. It was clear that nerves got the better of Miss Barrier Reef and Miss Black Orchid once again because, though their answers were decent and admirable, there was no confidence in the delivery. The top three candidates had all the confidence needed as their support group applauded passionately every time their name was mentioned. Banner was asked what does it say about the importance of tertiary level education when the overall unemployment rate in Belize is over 16 percent and the unemployment rate for those completing tertiary level education is closer to 12? She said education is like castles in medieval days, source of strength and security. She said an educated society is a strong society. Vernon was asked about the lack of representation for women in the House of Representatives. She said there needs to be equal representation for men and women so decisions can be gender balanced. She said if the problem solving abilities of women is combined with the competitive drive of men at a greater level the country would be much better off. Avila was asked why should we continue to celebrate the 10th and 21st of September. She said we must celebrate those days not only in appreciation for freedom but in honour of our ancestors who fought hard to ensure that there will always be a land of the free for us and our children to call home.

After the responses, the delegates were serenaded by Marilyn Vanzen with her rendition of "Loving You" by Minnie Riperton. The final results were announced without the normal uproar. Miss Belmopan was recognized as Miss Talented while Queen of the Bay Toledo was named Most Eloquent and Elegant. She was then named Queen of the Bay Designate. The lovely Jahrine Avila's Coronation is set for September 10th. If there is any reason she is unable to carry out her duties as Queen of the Bay, Vernicia Vernon, Miss Stann Creek, will assume those responsibilities. Mikayla Banner, Queen of the Bay Belmopan, finished as the second runner up while Winter Haule, Miss Black Orchid, and Shamira Neal, Miss Barrier Reef, finished fourth and fifth. Avila received many prizes; including, a scholarship to the University of Belize from the Minister of Education, Hon. Patrick Faber, and $1,000 from Prime Minister Dean Barrow. Other finalists received wonderful consolation prizes as well. There has been a Queen of the Bay Pageant every year for the last 67 years.

The Guardian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.