Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46666 01/02/02 10:27 AM
Bobber Offline OP
OP Offline
We are now 17 days and counting. Has anyone recently traveled American Airlines to BZ? Specifically, what is the current policy on carry on baggage? AA tells me they do allow 1 bag, but I like to check. In Nov to Cancun, we were allowed nothing other than a purse or a diaper bag. We will travel naked if necessary, but I would just like to know so we can prepare accordingly.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#46667 01/02/02 11:40 AM
Bobber,
In December the one bag regulation (and size) was being actively enforced. I suspect that not much has changed. As far as traveling naked with a diaper bag, I really don't feel qualified nor experienced enough to comment on that. I think maybe Mr. Thorton would be the best bet to "shed" some insight on that particular mode of international travel.

CC

#46668 01/02/02 12:18 PM
Hey Bobber, what date are you flying out on. I will be there January 17th on American also through Miami? Will you be in San Pedro?

#46669 01/02/02 12:55 PM
Bobber Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Becky. We will be there Jan 19-27, Paradise Villas, beachfront. Coming in through DFW from MSP. Plans at this point include the Palapa bar on Sunday the 20th. If we happen to run into one another, I'll buy you a beer.

#46670 01/02/02 01:28 PM
Hi Bobber, will be at Palapa on Sunday the 19th, 2nd and 3rd beers are on me though. Have a safe flight, I'm hoping to get everything in one carry-on. American is saying one carryon and 1 purse thing. Hope this works for you.

#46671 01/02/02 03:46 PM
Bobber Offline OP
OP Offline
Whatever they wan't, we'll abide by it. Just like to be prepared. We've done the first Sunday of the trip at the Palapa for the last 2 years, but always carted it. Usually stop after 2 or beers, to ensure being able to get the cart (or most of it) on the ferry. This year we plan to water taxi, and blow off a little more steam. I need this vacation.

#46672 01/02/02 04:38 PM
I flew on American over Thanksgiving. I checked in one large bag (scuba equipment) and carried on a backpack with all my clothes, mask, regulator, meds, toiletries etc. I've learned to carry one enough stuff to survive lost luggage. I also had a Pelican u/w camera case on a set of wheels. I had no problem except in DFW - tough - very tough - must have been former military - woman insisted on counting the wheels & case as two items, so I had to give up one - I let her take the wheels.
I left the wheels with friends in San Pedro.
You can check in two bags, one up to 70 pounds and I think the second one is limited to 52 pounds. Then you can carry on one item that will fit in the overhead bins and a second, what they call personal item.
I put the backpack under the seat in front of me and it makes a good footrest.
Have fun.
HINT: you won't need half the clothes you will want to take. Since you WILL buy at least one shirt, only pack one or two and they buy when you get there.
Buy yourself a wrap to wear over your swimsuit.
When I was down in June it was too hot for a full T-shirt; I lived in tank tops. If you hand wash your undies everynight (and they do dry fast) you won't need more than a few.
Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#46673 01/02/02 04:41 PM
Bobber, I traveled to Belize on AA December 8 to 15. They do allow one carryon bag, and one personal item per person (could be a purse for ladies or a laptop bag for men, etc). The carryon bag should not exceed 45 inches; length plus width plus height. I took carryon only and had plenty of room to store it on each of my flights. Depending on the airport, you may be asked to open your checked luggage before checking it, open your carryon as you enter through security to the gate and also, a random number of people will be flagged for a final search as you hand your boarding pass to the gate agent. You may have to do all, some or none of the above.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation. Belize is certainly an ideal location to relax and enjoy!

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
#46674 01/02/02 04:53 PM
Bobber Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the advice. I am familiar with the carry on restrictions, I was just wondering whether I could carry anything on. Going to Cancun in Nov, we couldn't carry anything on except a purse or a diaper bag. Don't personally use either one, but we had packed carryons with the necessities (sandals,t-shirts, bathing suits) in case the regular luggage got delayed. Had to be checked as regular luggage. No cig lighters, no nothing. Wouldn't let us bring on anything that had a battery in it even. I neglected to point out my watch has a battery, so I snuck it by them. Note that this was not AA, it was a charter.

#46675 01/02/02 05:05 PM
L
L
Mexico is real funny aboutlighters. When I went to Cabo in November, they took my lighter. But. . .they searched everyone's bag in line at the ticket counter very thoroughly and waved me right through!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.