Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
8:12 AM update - Mata Grande and Spanish Reef Areas ....

Tide was low and one could pass safely on bikes and presumably on cart from Barrier Reef to Spanish Reef - at that point it was best to take the "short cut" just south of Iguana House and then join up with the Mata Grande road.
Mata Grande Road from Lot 1 - 19 has some puddles but no real flooding and the road is very passable.
Beach erosion noticeable all along the way - lots of seagrass on beaches as well. Packing the seagrass against the eroded slopes will be a good start at rebuilding the these areas.
Frankly I thought it would look a lot worse than it does. Clean up shouldn't take more than a day or two.
I did not take the camera for condition photos because of rain. Hopefully Elbert has his waterproof one and can take pics to share.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Motorists Advised to Exercise Extreme Caution on Roads

NEMO ADVISORY No. 3 (TROPICAL DEPRESSION NO. TWO)

AT 09:00 AM TROPICAL DEPRESSION TWO WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 17.9 NORTH, LONGITUDE 90.0 WEST. THE DEPRESSION IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST AT APPROX. 8 MPH OVER SOUTHERN BELIZE WITH MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS AT 30 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS. FLOODING IS HIGHLY LIKELY TO CONTINUE IN LOW-LYING COMMUNITIES, PARTICULARLY IN THE STANN CREEK DISTRICT.

SITUATION:

COROZAL DISTRICT

school closed

ORANGE WALK DISTRICT

school closed

BELIZE DISTRICT

school closed

CAYO DISTRICT

school open

MACAL RIVER

2 ft above normal and rising

MOPAN RIVER

10 inches above normal and rising

STANN CREEK

school closed

4MILES VALLEY ROAD

people were rescued by MOW and Police

MULLINS RIVER

Coast Guard have been deployed to assist with evacuating 30 people, who will be sheltered in Sacred Heart Parish, Dangriga

SARAWEE

village and road flooded along the highway to Dangriga with 2.5-4.5 feet of water, some people moved into shelter

HOPE CREEK

village and road is flooded and 49 people have been evacuated to the Hope Creek Methodist School Shelter

SITTEE RIVER

sections of the road is flooded

HOPKINS

sections of the road is flooded

DANGRIGA

Flooding from 5miles to Dangriga

MILES 30 ENTRANCE TO GEORGETOWN VILLAGE

culvert is washed-out and impassable (MOW working to replace the culvert)

TOLEDO DISTRICT

school open except for Boom Creek

BOOM CREEK

road flooded

PERSONS LIVING IN FLOOD PRONE AREAS ACROSS THE COUNTRY ARE ADVISED TO BE ON THE ALERT FOR POSSIBLE FLOODING IN YOUR AREAS AND MOVE TO A SAFE, DRY PLACE BEFORE NIGHT FALL. MOTORISTS ARE ALSO ADVISED TO EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAYS AND SECONDARY ROADS.

NEMO CONTINUES TO RESPOND TO THE FLOOD SITUATIONS. STAY TUNED TO YOUR LOCAL RADIO AND TELEVISION STATION FOR FURTHER ADVISORIES FROM NEMO AND THE NATIONAL METEOROLOGY SERVICE.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

NEMO ADVISORY No. 4 (TROPICAL DEPRESSION NO. TWO)

At 2:00 pm Tropical Depression Two was located near Latitude 18.3 North, Longitude 91.9 West. The depression is moving towards the West-Northwest at approx. 10 mph over the Southern Bay of Campeche and away from Belize, with maximum sustained winds at 30 mph with higher gusts. Flooding is likely to continue in the low-lying communities.

SITUATION REPORT SOUTHERN BELIZE

STANN CREEK DISTRICT

MULLINS RIVER

Temporary crossing is under 12ft of water. The Coastal highway remains closed. MOW is on standby to repair the temporary crossing and approaches if required.

SARAWEE

The water is receding and most of the people in the Shelter at the Community Center have returned to their homes.

HOPE CREEK

The water is receding rapidly and there is no longer any water across the highway. Most of the people who were in the shelter have returned to their homes. In Hope Creek New Housing Area, the water is 5inches and falling.

SITTEE RIVER

Hopkins road (Bypass) is closed and is under 2ft of water.

DANGRIGA TOWN

The water is receding

MILES 30 GEORGETOWN VILLAGE

The culvert has been replaced and the road is open

TOLEDO DISTRICT

BOOM CREEK

Boom Creek Road still have 2ft of water and is receding slowly.

Assessment and Health Teams are standing by to visit the affected Communities as soon as the areas become accessible.

Persons living in flood prone areas across the country are advised to remain vigilant for possible flooding in their areas.

Motorists are advised to exercise extreme caution when driving on the highways and secondary roads.

NEMO continues to respond to the flood situations. Stay tuned to your local radio and television station for further advisories from NEMO and the National Meteorology Service.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Keeping One Step Ahead of the Storm

It is hard to believe what a mess we got from "just" a tropical depression! The storm that hit Belize on Monday, June 17, 2013, could not by any words be described as a little one. Just because the storm is not classified a hurricane it does not make it a small tropical squall. I do believe that we do take it for granted that these 'no named' storms will just pass us by with rain.

There have been other tropical depressions and tropical storms that have caught us off guard in the past. Have we learned from them? Indeed we have. We've learned what to expect, how to prepare, where to take shelter, where to secure our boats and which homes will withstand stronger hurricanes. We have learned that we can batten down the hatches and fair through a big storm if, and only if, we are prepared and take the precautionary steps to stay safe.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS more photos in the Ambergris Today

From Diane...

The northern cayes of Belize had a lot of rain from TD2, and winds in gusting around 45 MPH.

Sea level was high, but the waves themselves were not so dramatic. Some beach erosion, and lots of seagrass/logs/etc on the beaches. San Pedro Town Council called out a volunteer work party yesterday and as of this morning the beaches in San Pedro town area are all clean and nice.

Boats from Belize City have resumed their runs and school is open.

Southern Mainland Beize is having flood issues but water is going down pretty quickly. They got 10" of rain in 24 hours in some areas.

Not sure how many inches of rain we had on Ambergris Caye but my cistern went up 7" and is nearly full. Feeling pretty smug about the water-storage part.

Today we have gray skies, off and on rain. Thunder this morning. Looks like the rest of the week will be soggy too.

Lobsterfest appears to be successful despite the weather! If you can't dive, you can still eat, drink and dance.

Visit us in Belize - you'll be glad you did!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Met Office: TD 2 Formed Unexpectedly

But first, we get the overview from the Met Department. They've been watching this Tropical Wave since last week - and were caught slightly off guard on the weekend when it formed into a depression 50 miles off the coast of Belize.

Today, Chief Met Officer Dennis Gonguez told us that the weather system has produced heavy, but not record rainfall.

Dennis Gonguez - Chief MET Officer
"As tropical depression #2 moves away, we're still getting some rainfall around the country. The numbers range from 2 1/2 inches in the north to about 3 1/2 inches in the west and as high as 7 inches in the south. This has led to some flooding in some sections in the southern parts of the country. In the past 24 hours since the system was called a tropical depression we were close to about 10 inches in the south, in the previous 24 hours we had about 3 inches in the south so we're pretty much close to 10 inches in the south to this time. We tend to focus on Tropical storms and hurricanes with their wind damage but however tropical depressions can provide us with copious amount of rainfall resulting in flooding."

Jules Vasquez
"Sir, are you able to speak about the behavior of the system as it came on land at about 6pm yesterday?"

Dennis Gonguez
"Well the track took a little jog to the north, however from there it was difficult to identify a center, even presently today -the last bulletin in the last satellite pictures it was hard for us to identify the center of circulation. So the system is heading over land at this time and is quite possibly going to downgrade as a tropical wave before the day is out."

Jules Vasquez
"Have we seen the worst of it?"

Dennis Gonguez
"Well we should start to see some improvements although it will continue wet for another two to three days, we won't see that copious amount of rain fall that we had on Sunday and Monday."

Jules Vasquez
"Is it in usual behavior, typical behavior for a system to develop right on Belize's doorstep at this time of year?"

Dennis Gonguez
"The development of the system into a depression just about 50-60 miles from us was - we didn't expect it to develop into a depression so near to us. Even the folks at the National Hurricane Center in Miami had a 40% genesis potential on the system up to yesterday morning. Suddenly about 8;30 they called me and told me they were upgrading it to a Tropical Depression - so even the experts in Miami did not know it would have become a tropical depression."

Gonguez says when TD2 or what's left of it re-emerges into the Bay of Campeche it could again be upgraded into a significant weather system.

Hope Creek Gets Flooded Again, This Time Residents Ready

Tropical Depression two dropped about ten inches of rain in the south in 24 hours resulting in raised river levels, closed schools, people in shelters and collapsed culverts on the highway. The news tonight though is that in most areas, the water is receding and life is returning to normal.

But "normal" is a relative term for flood ravaged communities. Today, our news team trekked across many of the flood prone areas in the south - and we begin our coverage in Hope Creek where, at the height of the flood, 39 people were put in shelters.

Hope Creek, viewers will recall experienced vicious flash floods in 2008 leading to the loss of life. Well, this time, the water didn't come in a flash, but it did flood and, it seems, they were ready. Our Daniel Ortiz and Codie Norales were thigh deep in the flood waters today - and they have this report..

Daniel Ortiz reporting
An uninformed observer maybe mistaken if they look at this area and concluded that it is some natural body of water. It's an actual street in the Hope Creek Village which was overrun by the flood waters from Tropical Depression 2.

That system dumped 10 inches of torrential rain on the village, swelling the North Stann Creek River until it sent that flood to the low lying areas of the village.

So where do the drains and yards intersect with the actual street? Only the villagers have an idea.

They gave us guided tour of the area. Our Cameraman had to get around in a makeshift raft they provided.

Rene Salguero Sr. - Resident, Hope Creek Village
"We actually stood on the culvert at the entrance of my house - this is the street and this is the entrance to my house. This is unbelievable what happened today, it is funny - I don't even know what to say because I feel bad."

Mariano Ack - Resident, Hope Creek Village
"This morning around 3a.m. the water was coming up very fast and it was higher and up to now it's just going down but it was higher this morning - higher above our heads because I'm five feet tall but it was higher than me. At this moment it's going down very slow."

Rene Salguero Sr
"This is Hope Creek but this is Salguero Street because we are Salguero but they have more people living here, the river isn't too far away maybe about 200 meters from here."

Salguero is one of the villagers most affected. The lower flat of his house is under water

We caught up with him as he was trying to fish his TV out of the street, now turned lake.

Rene Salguero Sr
"It's a nightmare here, I really can't explain what exactly happen. This is something with nature and last night it started around 6 yesterday evening and the water started to race and race, we didn't expect it to get this high. We usually get flooded here but not as high at this time so we didn't get a chance to take out everything out of the house, later on we will see all the losses that I have. I didn't sleep at all last night, I haven't even eaten as yet because we don't have anything to cook - everything is gone.

This is a real bad experience for all of us in this village and I really feel bad because everything is gone - even my truck broke down and you noticed my dog, I will have to take you in my room soon so that you can see the washing machine, the refrigerator. Nobody is here only I stayed because there are a lot of scavengers that would like to steal my stuff too, everything because my son lives downstairs and my wife, my other son and I live upstairs and when the water started to race it wasn't fast but we didn't expect it to get so high. We just monitored it and it was quick we didn't have time to do anything so as soon you will see I lost everything. I didn't insure anything because the last time I insured and the insurance didn't help me much so I decided to take it on my own and I will have to replace everything - I wish someone can help me. Every house is almost the same."

Daniel Ortiz
"So how many families have had to evacuate because of this unexpected flooding?"

Rene Salguero Sr
"Well everybody from this side had to go out, I think it's it was about 20 families that had to leave around 3a.m. Actually this storm passed here around 3:00 o'clock and blew the breeze maybe about 40 miles an hour but it passed hard so everybody had to leave."

And those people, erring on the side of caution, decided to evacuate to the Hope Creek Methodist School, the village's hurricane shelter.

Elroy Wade - Chairman, Hope Creek Village
"Most of the families here seeking shelter are the families that live near the river bank area and the back area of the village which is a low lying area. So these are the people that are seeking shelter right now. Most of the villagers knew about the weather that was passing. From around 3 o'clock yesterday, I gathered up my team and we had gone around the village and informing people of the situation. Everybody knows that Hope Creek is a place that is prone to flooding, it's not something strange to anyone. Yearly on the rainy season we get flooding all around."

Daniel Ortiz
"So how many families have decided to take refuge here, sir?"

Elroy Wade
"Presently we have 54 persons seeking shelter here right now."

But while the Hope Creek moved out, they were partially cut off from neighboring communities.

That's because the North Stann Creek River also inundated the Hummingbird Highway at different locations, but particularly at mile 5. Emergency personnel had to provide assistance to small vehicles to cross this flooded area.

Later on in the news, we'll have more flood stories from Sarawee, Sittee and Dangriga.

Flood stories From Sarawee and Sitee

As we showed you at the top of the Newscast, Hope Creek experienced flooding which affected the low-lying areas of the village, and forced 54 residents to evacuate to the hurricane shelter.

Well, Sarawee and Sittee River had their own share of flooding from Tropical Depression 2, and while on survey of the affected areas, we stopped in at both villages.

Here's what one villager told us about how the rise in water surprised him, even though it was a weak storm:

Steven Emmanuel Sr. - Resident, Sarawee Village
"It started from about 10:00 and I went to my bed and took a little nap and when I woke up about 3 it went down about 3 - 4 inches and then this morning it came up back a little higher because it was 3 inch to enter my house and this morning when I noticed, it almost entered the house. This is the first time i see that it takes so long to go down."

Daniel Ortiz "Was there anyone from Sarawee who had to evacuate from low lying areas which had dangerous experiences with flooding?"

Steven Emmanuel Sr. "Yes they have a few people that live in the North west side and over there at the east side but not to evacuate out of the village, just to get to higher land in the same village."

Daniel Ortiz "What you're looking at, is your yard and it looks like a pool."

Steven Emmanuel Sr. "You know from 10:00 last night until now, normally 2-3 hours the water would run already."

Daniel Ortiz "And that is the street outside we're looking at."

Steven Emmanuel Sr. "Yes this is one street. I wonder if we're facing this problem now because I can remember many years and this didn't used to happen and I can remember that I don't really remember if it was (I don't want to call names) they dug out the bank side from the river and now the change now. Water used to pass by but not hanging like this."

Daniel Ortiz "We understand this is just a depression, we can only imagine if it was a hurricane and if it was centralized in this area - flooding would have been uncontrollable, your house would have been under water as well."

Steven Emmanuel Sr. "I guess so."

And while that was Sarawee, Sittee River Village also had minor effects of the storm, the most significant being that the river swelled over a section of the road, making it impassable by vehicles.

We caught up with a few villagers who were on duty to ferry people across, and they told us about what they experienced last night and this morning:

Marlon Reynaud - Resident, Sittee River Village "This is from yesterday it came up high from this morning and by this afternoon it was already high and it will probably go down back by midday so we're just praying that it goes down back."

Daniel Ortiz "How do you get people across one side of the street to the other side?"

Marlon Reynaud "We use the canoe."

Daniel Ortiz "To someone who doesn't know about this village or this road, where does the street start and where does the river start? If you look at it you wouldn't be able to tell the difference."

Marlon Reynaud "Where we are now a vehicle length is the street and the river is right there, yyou will be able to tell the difference."

Daniel Ortiz "But if you don't know where you are, you might step to the river bank and be washed away."

Marlon Reynaud "You really have to know more or less or else you will go that way. You have to know how to drive on this road."

Daniel Ortiz "Can vehicles really pass this way right now?"

Marlon Reynaud "Only to the basketball court and that's it."

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

NEMO In Griga Was In Front Of the Flood

A major part of the Stann Creek District's excellent response was that the NEMO Hub in Dangriga was very active and vigilant, watching every move of Tropical Depression 2.

Today, we spoke to the Mayor of Dangriga Town, who is also the chairman of the Stann Creek Emergency Committee, and he gave us a full report on their activities since yesterday.

Here's what he told us:

Mayor Gilbert Swazo - Chairman, Stann Creek Emergency Committee
"Earlier this morning about 3:00 we recieved word that there were people on the Mullins river who needed to be evacuated. Again we immediately coordinated through NEMO, through Coast Guard who then subsequently deployed a vessel and we also placed an alert - one shelter, Parish Hall within Dangriga with the view to house and shelter those evacuees from Mullins River. There were 49, however, I must report that right now while the coast guard has arrived at the destination at Mullins River, we have no confirmation that the people have now been extracted but the shelter remains open and the shelter management team prepared to support those evacuees from Mullins River. Amongst the other reports that we received is that the Mullins river bridge is compromised and the coastal road is under water as a result of the bridge being compromised and the fact that the road is severely under water. That road has now been declared again in concurrence with NEMO - it is now closed for vehicular traffic. There is also a culvert on the Southern Highway which is compromised and again the Ministry of Works are on scene doing rehabilitation works with a view then that we could open the road for continuous traffic. Those areas are critical arteries to provide supplies to our people, to the villagers in those communities that are not impacted.

Hope Creek, Sarawee has been impacted so it's obvious that Dangriga is next. As early as this morning about 1:00 there were teams that were sent out with a view to ascertain what level of impact has affected Dangriga. It is note then that we are in the New Site 1 area so this area and New Site 2 are the areas that are severely affected in Dangriga. Also Lakeland and the Rivas estate is impacted and Benguche is also impacted."

The Stann Creek Emergency Committee remains active at this hour until NEMO declares that the flood threat is a non factor. After that happens, they committee will be surveying the communities to see what sort of relief it can provide.

Fun In A Time Of Flooding

We've shown you the residents of the Stann Creek Valley who were affected, and who had the scare of the floods from Tropical Depression 2.

Well, there were some young men from Sarawee Village who weren't too worried about the storm. As a matter of fact, they had a good time in the floods waters of their yard.

We asked them why they were taking light of a situation which the adults thought was no joke.

Here's what they told us:

Rudolph Emmanuel - Resident, Sarawee Village
"We're just playing football. In the water you can jump and not get hurt, just playing rough in the water."

Daniel Ortiz
"You usually play like this when you have flooding in this area?"

Rudolph Emmanuel -
"Yes we go around in canoe."

Daniel Ortiz
"Tell us about when you guys decide that instead of waiting until the rain passes, we will be out there playing in the water."

Rudolph Emmanuel -
"From last night we've been playing in water. This is fun."

Daniel Ortiz
"This is like a swimming pool for you right now."

Ricky Emmanuel - Resident, Sarawee Village
"Yes, just jump up and so on because we won't get hurt."

Daniel Ortiz
"What all kind of games do you guys engage in whenever there's flooding in this area."

Ricky Emmanuel
"Like swimming, football, stamp down, karate and American football."

And while those boys were playing their football-water polo hybrid, we found another young man in Sittee River Village, who teamed up with his fellow villagers to provide ferry services to residents over the flooded section of the road.

He told us that he's proud to provide assistance:

Daniel Ortiz
"Kids and the other children that are visiting are enjoying themselves. Are you amongst those who just love the water and sees it as another rainy day?"

Shammar Lamb - Resident, Sittee River Village
"Well I'm just here watching and thing because water snakes and other things in here and you don't know when you can get into the river - like you see that Coconut Tree from that go down is the river. If you get into the river it could wash you away. So I don't think I'm like those other kids."

Daniel Ortiz
"So you're not like those other kids that are enjoying the flood."

Shammar Lamb
"As you can see we have our canoes that we patrol in but right now we're taking a rest."

Daniel Ortiz
"You're working with the adults with ferrying people across?"

Shammar Lamb
"yes"

Daniel Ortiz
"What is it like being a part of the organization with trying to help people. You're such a young gentleman."

Shammar Lamb
"I'm feeling like a coastguard right now."

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

VIDEO FOOTAGE FROM MONDAY (SOUTH AMBERGRIS CAYE)

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

NEMO ADVISORY No. 5

The National Emergency Management Organization hereby informs the general public on the following situation across the Country:

In the Cayo District:

• Macal River is 24 inches above normal and rising.
  • Mopan River is 12 inches above normal and rising.

The Belize River is 6ft above normal and rising throughout the Belize District.

• In Lemonal by the Governor Creek culvert there is 6 inches of water across the road.
  • In Crooked Tree the lagoon is rising and is running off into Black Creek, Spanish Creek, Black Burn, Mexico Creek and Muscle Creek into the Belize River causing the Belize River to raise.

In the Stann Creek District: Assessment and Health Teams are presently in the affected Communities of Sarawee, Mullins River, Gales Point and Dangriga Town.

• All Shelters are closed.
  • The Coastal Road remains closed.
  • The temporary crossing at Mullins River is closed to vehicular traffic and is currently being repaired by The Ministry of Works.

In the Toledo District there is no reports of flooding. The water on the Boom Creek road has receded. The road is open to vehicular traffic. Secondary roads in the rural areas are not in the best conditions due to the rains.

Motorists are advised to continue exercise extreme caution when driving on the highways and secondary roads.

Marty Offline OP
    OP Offline

Damages From TD2 Assessed In Southern Belize

The assessment of damages caused by tropical depression number two has begun. We hear more in this report from our Dangriga correspondent Harry Arzu.

HARRY ARZU

"Officials from the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) Stann Creek branch have completed a comprehensive damage exercise on the communities that were affected by flood waters associated with tropical depression #2. Earlier this week the depression passed over Belize and caused tremendous damages to the Stann Creek District. Here is the Chairperson of NEMO, Stann Creek Mayor, Gilbert Swazo."

MAYOR GILBERT SWAZO

"The damage assessment was concluded yesterday and a total assessed damage of $338, 275.00 was assessed. This assessment was carried out by four teams that were deployed; one team was deployed to the area of Mullins River; one to Sarawee; one to Hope Creek and then one to Dangriga. The damage assessed excluded the culvert and the bridge at the Coastal Road. The total assessed damage in Hope Creek and Mullins River were mostly household items totaling $68,000; the agricultural damage that was assessed was noted in Sarawee, Hope Creek, Mullins River and Red Bank totaling $32, 775 and this included damage to cassava plantation, plantain, hot peppers, chickens and over a thousand tilapia. In Dangriga it was noted that there was substantial infrastructural damage to the roads which totaled to over $200,000. So, again I must commend the damage assessment team that went out to conduct these assessments and we are certainly grateful for the job that they have done throughout the impact of the TD Storm. I must also mention that public health have conducted a survey of the water system here in Dangriga and have deemed it safe for the public to consume. All these assessed damage has been forward to NEMO and we are awaiting the response from NEMO in relation to how these will be disbursed."

HARRY ARZU

"What is your advice to residents now that we have survived this storm knowing that we are in the early stage of the hurricane season?"

MAYOR GILBERT SAWZO

"This storm certainly has given us an opportunity to demonstrate to the people within the Stann Creek District and Dangriga proper that we need to remain vigilant and to listen to official NEMO advisory and we must remain prepared because as it is early and it is assessed that we will have an above average season, we must remain vigilant and be prepared to exercise our family plan and our operational subcommittee plan. So, let us be vigilant and cooperate with the official advisory as distributed by NEMO whenever that occurs."

LOVE TV

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 251 guests, and 0 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Statistics
    Forums44
    Topics79,199
    Posts500,011
    Members20,460
    Most Online7,413
    Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.