Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#467026 06/21/13 12:22 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Are there any architects currently in practice on AC? Contact info?

If you are planning to build on the island your plans must be drawn up by one of the 'authorized' architect. The San Pedro Town Board has a list posted in the office.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
ScubaLdy #467042 06/21/13 06:11 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks!

J
J
Rogelio Camal doesn't live on the island but comes here often. He can be contacted via his brother Daniel (building contractor). Have sent you a PM with Daniel's phone and email detail.

Johnhenry #467095 06/22/13 02:20 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Thank you. Been following your blog for a bit now. Did you plan your own place or go through a design firm?

J
J
My wife and I decided how we wanted it (and produced a briefing note) and then used an architect to draw up the plans (and come up with one or two very good suggestions which we adopted).

Johnhenry #467149 06/24/13 08:36 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Where I was going with that is does mr Camal provide architect services or did you use your own from the approved list?

J
J
Daniel Camal is (and does) able to provide architectural services. We chose an architect (Strukture Architects Limited in Belize City) before we started looking for a building contractor and didn't become aware of the range of Daniel's offering until after our plans had been drawn up and signed off by us.

Hi K W
As you might imagine the weather here predicates a lot of the decisions you will have to make.
I really suggest you come here and look at houses you like and talk to the owners. Most folks here are pretty nice and would enjoy bragging about their house.
To me there are two distinct types of dwellers - cliff dwellers and cave dwellers. Cliff dwellers like to look out over their domain and cave dwellers don't like for anyone to see into their castle.
Then there are the ones who like open range vs those who like fences and walls.
I think there should be a list of question that every designer would ask the potential home builder.
One thing I have learned to watch out for is the ability to fit furniture in. For instance in a bedroom is there a wall where you can put that great big dresser that you love? Can the bed fit between or under the windows. What direction does the breeze come from and how can you best capture it and not get soaked when it rains.
As I am building this house, which I designed but had to pay an architect to draw the "official" plans, I keep saying "The next house I build I will get it right from the get-go." Meaning - I've had to make a lot of allowances and changes but glad that I am on sight to make them.
Come on down and talk to us.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
ScubaLdy #467258 06/25/13 07:45 PM
K
OP Offline
K
I appreciate the responses. If everything goes as scheduled, I'll be down in September to take a look around and talk to folks and who knows. My wife and I both work from home, and it's only necessary for us to be in the states for six months of the year. Yes, I'd like to be as self reliant as possible so someone who could help us in taking advantage of the breezes and the sun would be necessary when planning a home.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.