Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#467667 07/04/13 02:44 PM
OP Offline
Moving to San Pedro within the month. Hair is pony tail length but am thinking once I'm there may end up chopping it all off (LOL) due to the climate. If I do so will need a perm (showing my age here!) so it won't lay flat on my head. Any good places for cut and perm and approximate cost? Thanks a bunch! Georgette

Georgette, If your pony tail is at least 9 inches long, get it cut before you go to Belize and donate the hair to Locks of Love. Most salons have the paperwork and envelope to send it, otherwise you can find the information online.

Get your hair layered. The humidity there will do strange things to your hair if you're not used to it. You may not need a perm.

Others will chime in with great references for getting your hair done in SP. Drop in on SanPedroScoop.com, too, she did a blog on the subject a while back.

Welcome to the island!!

Words have power. Speak it into existence.
I disagree with getting your hair layered. Keep it long enough to put up in a pony tail or 'chip clip' or chop it really short - you'll never have your 'normal' hair in Belize LOL no matter how much styling and products you use.

OP Offline
Thanks for the replies. Really LOL here about "never having normal hair" in Belize. I'm gettin kinda scared! LOL!!

My hair is naturally curly, if it is layered the curls are easily scrunched. It can be layered AND long. I put it up in a pony tail, chip clip, whatever. But when it is all one length the hair tends to weigh too much for the curls to do their thing....and forget about blowing it straight or flat ironing it (if it's naturally curly) 10 minutes in humidity and it is not flat or straight. Ever.

Words have power. Speak it into existence.
A lot of good advice. As with everything else here --- look see what the others are doing. Long hair is easier to pull up and looks great - either pulled tight or halo like - as in Katherine Hepburn style.

Word of warning: Do not make a bun when hair is wet - I grew a very bad case of fungus that took a lot of treatment. I've learned to let it dry loose before pulling it up.

Another thing - there is no need to shampoo everyday - that myth has been created by people who sell product. Remember how we were taught to brush 100 strokes every night. I do this and the old-loose hair comes out along with the dirt and grit. This also stimulates the scalp and eliminates the need for conditioners.

Natural is better.
Welcome.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
After almost 6 yrs here, my conclusion is long hair is much easier (or VERY VERY short, which requires frequent cuts) - at least for my fine hair that tangles horribly with the strong winds. On a good note, the sea spray does help with volume, so I rarely use any hair spray type products. I am so low maintenance now - it is scary LOL

There are a few really great hairdressers here on the island, so you will be in good hands either way smile

I've grown my hair out completely, not even bangs of any sort. Find it much easier to deal with. Have built up quite a collection of clips, cool ponytail wraps, smaller hair clips and hairbands to catch the flyaways. From time to time the weather is cool enough to wear it down which becomes a treat otherwise wearing it down feels like a blanket on my head.

Since I don't actually live on the island, I do still bring product from home in an attempt to keep some control. Moroccan Oil product works fairly well but its spendy. Learning to love your new hair texture is easier.

Harriette, how long did you have your hair up and damp that you got a fungal infection? Did you sleep with it up too in the same bun? While it is not strange to end up with infections of all natures for various reasons, some inexplicable, this explanation of yours still surprises me. My hair is up and wet all day from diving. Often I just leave it until later and then spray with special conditioner to work out knots and do it all over again next day. Other times put it up damp or even dry, will eventually become damp at roots anyway. So again I'm compelled to ask, how long did you have your hair up in the wet bun that is blamed for the fungal infection?

Last edited by seashell; 07/14/13 07:05 AM.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

agree w/ harriette.... it's the second time in a week I've heard about a fungal infection (the other person had hair falling out in clumps) due to wet hair in a bun/up.

Coconut oil is great for taming hair, and I agree with wizard... layering and curly is fine.

Whatever you do, don't perm it! Don't know if Joan is on the forum but she came here and saw what the humidity/ wind did to her hair and cut it accordingly. Agree that there are many great stylists on the island who CAN do perms/ colors if you wish but I still say look at what your hair does naturally and go with a style to suit. I used to be a perm/color/ iron/ curling freak but now I use conditioner when washing and a light mix of regular conditioner mixed with water after squeezing dry. No product, no dryer.

Jessie Leslie down by Ritchies is very good .

anna

Last edited by MathieusDeli; 07/15/13 01:20 PM.

Mathieu's Delicatessen

Gunter the original & best.... baker, chef: breads, breakfast, lunch, FOOD!
OK Anna and Harriet, I'm frightened now! smile will be careful with the damp up-do from now on.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.