Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
You definitely want the biggest boat you can book yourself on.
I've done the trip 40 or more times over the last 20 years and it can be a frightening trip on a small boat if the wind kicks up.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
I know Capt. Ron from Portland, Oregon. He, along with Ched Cabral, owns Reef Adventures which is on the Wet Willy's dock. The last I saw Ched had three boats -none of them BIG but all a good sise for diving the reef. What is this obsession with the atolls.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
N
N
Harriette - the blue hole is an extraordinary place you have to admit and there is nothing like it near A.C or indeed anywhere else! If the sea is not too choppy then a 3 dive trip is fun!

A
OP Offline
A
Have read a few different places that the diving the atolls is better than the reef at AC. We are still planning on diving hol-chan and shark ray alley and a night dive but thought we would dive the Turneffe also.

NICK - Have you ever been NARCED?
Anytime you go below 80' you take a risk of being narced. Ive been narced a few times but fortunately had been trained to expect it.

Do you understand the reason to limit 'Open Water Certification"to 60'?

Every once in a while a new diver has good buoyancy control - but most don't. An uncontrolled ascent from 60' or less, while still dangerous, is not likely to be fatal.

I have taken fairly new divers to the Blue Hole but ONLY when they are right behind me and there was a very experienced diver behind them.

A person who has become a good friend did the hole when I first met her. At about 135' when we were 'ducking under the lip' she spotted some sharks down lower and decided to go pet them. Thankfully her husband (also a new diver) caught up with her at 200' and they both were able to come up.

It used to be that boats wouldn't take inexperienced divers out - now --- $$$ talk.

I don't know who has been giving you information but please listen to the people that may be saving your life.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
N
N
Harriette

I am perfectly aware of the risks -thank you!

I was commenting on the Blue Hole as a dive site. I do not presume to recommend that anyone including inexperience divers do that dive - I'm sure these people can make their own minds up on what they want to do based upon advice from their qualified dive masters.

AJ - re your last comment Hol chan is a cut through the reef and is only 30 feet deep and Shark Ray Alley is inside the reef and about 10 feet deep so these are best snorkelled in my view, other than for the night dive. For scuba you will go outside the reef and there are lots and lots of dive sites close to AC so there is no real need to do a day trip to the atolls if you are excluding the Blue Hole, except it is a fun day out.

Ajeagle, if you feel you must do a day out at the Atolls, then chose Turneffe just make sure that the trip is not including the Elbow. The local reef off of Ambergris Caye is good diving. You won't be the least disappointed. Save the Blue Hole day trip for your return to Belize, after you have more dives under your collective weight belts.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.