Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Three of the participants in the pro-Constitution March, BelizeCan, Belize Action and Rise and Shine, have issued a statement regarding photographs purporting to show the hanging in effigy of UNIBAM, the United Belize Advocacy Movement.

The statement titled: "Distasteful Image in Toledo Constitution March" says that while they - BelizeCan, Belize Action and Rise and Shine - did not see the effigy themelves, they heard about it and instructed its removal.

"We strongly condemn and discourage the use of such placards or images which can be perceived as sending the wrong message. We encourage Belizeans to exercise their right to rally in a respectful, responsible, and God-fearing manner," said the statement. Louis Wade, the owner of Plus TV and host of the Rise and Shine morning talk show, this evening told West Vision that "in 3 marches we have had a total over 7000 people with thousands of plackards. We refuse to let one plackard which we asked to be taken down, to define our peaceful people movement."

The July 5th pro-Constitution March and rally in Toledo was organized by Church leaders in the district. The aim of the event was to "ask the Government to bring the Gender Policy in conformity with the preamble of the Constitution."

Source

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Minister Lisel Alamilla expresses grave concerns

The Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and Sustainable Development, Senator Lisel Alamilla has written a public essay expressing grave concerns about what she perceives could be the promotion of hate crimes against gay men and women in Belize.

Minister Alamilla posted the short essay on her Facebook page, prefacing her missive by stating that "I do not oppose persons having different views or religious beliefs, but it concerns me immensely when those are being communicated by misinformation, manipulation and fear with could result in hate crime."

Senator Alamilla used a couple of photographs taken during the pro-Constitution demonstration in Toledo (southern Belize) last week, depicting the hanging in effigy of the United Belize Advocacy Movement, UNIBAM.

"The photo � is EXTREMELY concerning and even frightening," wrote Minister Alamilla, questioning whether a line was crossed by those who are opposed to UNIBAM and the revised National Gender Policy.

The Minister's essay goes on to question: "Will they soon be hanging women who dare to be leaders? Would they have hanged my son who was disabled? Would they hang me because I am Mestizo who married a black man? You may say absolutely NOT; but tell me then why is it okay for them to have the cardboard cut out of a person, with a noose around its neck and the word UNIBAM written across its back? Is this not promoting hate, will this not lead to hate crimes?

The essay concludes by noting that violence is already on the increase against persons from the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender community for their sexual orientation/identity.

"This is personal for me. My loved ones are at risk and our right to be different is at risk," wrote Senator Alamilla.

The Minister also notes that the challenge to Section 53 of Belize's Criminal Code is before the Supreme Court and that the Gender Policy is "not a homosexual policy. It is a policy that guides how government will protect the rights of ALL its people. That is the responsibility of government."

Source

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Hon. Alamilla Fears Anti-Gay Hate Protests Could Escalate Into Violence

Last week, Forestry Minister Lisel Alamilla started a Facebook uproar when she made a strong comment against an image which came out of the Punta Gorda Constitutional March, It was an effigy of a UNIBAM figure, clearly suggesting violence. Today she explained why she had to speak out.

Hon. Lisel Alamilla
"We live in a democracy and people have a right to protest and to hold marches. But I think everyone has a responsibility to ensure that these marches or protests don't lead into violence. I posted something on my personal page on Facebook because I saw an effigy that was being carried in the Punta Gorda march and that was very concerning to me because it brings to question whether in fact this will result in hate crimes against the Lesbian Gay Bi-sexual Transgender community."

Channel 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.