Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#468631 07/20/13 04:59 AM
OP Offline
I recently passed through Belize Immigration at Goldson. New booths and new procedures. Everybody has to have a fingerprint scan upon entry. It's a very slow process. A neighbor told me that he witnessed a 2-hour line-up on his own entry this past Monday when two planes arrived close to the same time.
I don't think this time-lag and long line stuff is good for tourism.

L
L

2 hours? Hmmmm..that will certainly wreak havoc on the later flight passengers trying make certain connections...how about if Goldson just makes another immigration line where you can pay $10 to bypass the fingerprint system...helluva revenue source!...as much as I'd like to receive instant worldwide recogntion I think I'd rather get to the island the day I fly in.

Bear #468735 07/21/13 02:37 PM
Oh great another wonderfully stupid initiative paid for by American taxpayers foisted off on people that will manage to turn it into the disaster that is BTL.

Captain One Iron
I was just curious if the immi process has rather smoothed out since it was rolled out, or has it simply rolled over?

fingerprint scan how crazy frown

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

tacogirl #471606 09/02/13 06:26 AM
I don't know how "crazy" the idea is. Especially given the number of criminals that have been found attempting to hide in Belize. I know from my visiting Argentina and Panama they use the process and I am sure there are many other countries doing the same. I would doubt that they only do it because the US wants them to. I would assume they are independent enough to see a benifit to the security of their country.
Now the current implementation of the process might be "crazy" in the beginning, but hopefully that will improve and there will be a benifit to be gained.

Are they scanning arriving passengers or only departing ones?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
ScubaLdy #471626 09/02/13 08:52 AM
I have not entered Belize since they started this, but the other countries I have visited scan both on entry and exit.

Again, I don't think "crazy" is an accurate adjective to describe the technology. Documents can be altered and immigration officers can be lied to. Finger prints are difficult to alter and don't lie.
Flip side of this is it can be a convenience to legally traveling individuals. The US Global Entry System is a good example. Having been prescreened and fingerprinted, when I enter the US I go to a kiosk, scan my fingerprints and breeze thru immigration not having to stand in line waiting to be interviewed by an immigration officer.
I can easily make a connecting flight within an hours time.

I arrived through the Northern boarder recently and over there they now take your picture which is new, but no fingerprinting.
Jan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 379 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.