Street restoration and rehabilitation has been a major priority for the San Pedro Town Council. In the past few months the streets adjacent of Tropic Air and Maya Island Air and Trigger Fish Street were paved, replacing the dirt roads with paved cement blocks similar to that of Angel Coral Street and Laguna Drive.

Work has now commenced on Swan Street from the corner of Lions Street to the lagoon. The workers from Medina's Construction have been working night and day to ensure that the street is completed in a timely manner.

According to Mayor Daniel Guerrero the completion of Swan Street is estimated to take 2-3 weeks. Work will then commence on the neighboring Chicken Street, Tropical Wave Street and an un-named alley that branches off from Swan Street. "The reason we are working on these streets first is because they are equipped to sustain the weight of the cement block without damaging the water lines. This will also help with the drainage in the area," stated Mayor Guerrero.

Mayor Guerrero stated that once the streets in this area are completed, work will commence on Spider Lily Street, which runs from the roundabout on Laguna Drive to the beach, followed by Manta Ray Street. But that is not all the work that is going on. According to Mayor Guerrero, other streets in the San Pedrito, San Juan, Boca Del Rio and DFC areas will also see some upgrade as the council is barging in hardcore from the mainland to fix areas that have been damaged due to repairs made by Belize Water Service Limited (BWSL) and are flood prone.

The entire street project is costing roughly $500,000BZ and will take up to three months to be completed. "The monies for this project are coming through the collection of municipal tax, this is why we urge the public to come to the Town Council and pay their taxes or make arrangements for a payment plan. I do not want to reach the point where we have be giving people summons and putting their names in the newspaper in order for them to pay their taxes," explained Guerrero, who took the opportunity to advise residents and businesses to please come in and pay their taxes.

Besides the street rehabilitation project, the Town Council will also be restoring Boca Del Rio Park. The aim for Mayor Guerrero is to provide a proper recreational facility for the island youth. Mayor Guerrero also stated that the beaches will be widened in order to provide more space for family oriented activities. "My concern is education and recreation. When I was a kid, I was fortunate to have wide sandy beaches to play, today we don't have that. My plan is to fix up the beaches so that we give children and their family a place to relax and have fun on the weekends," said Mayor Guerrero.

Mayor Guerrero ended by thanking the public for collaborating with the Town Council and asking everyone to be patient if the street project causes any detours.

Click here for the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun