Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#469681 08/06/13 10:25 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hello everyone. We have bought a home on AC and will be moving down in the next couple of months under the QRP program. For the next 4-5 years, we will only be on the island occasionally but once we retire, we plan to live there full-time. Our home is approximately 4 miles south of San Pedro Town and we would like feedback on having an electric cart vs. a gas one. We like the idea of a quieter, more environmentally friendly electric one, but aren't sure how practical or not it would be (i.e., are there mechanics to work on electric ones still around; would having enough charge to get back & forth to town be an issue, etc.) Would value any input, as well as any comments on cost of gas vs. electricity (obviously they're both expensive on the island!)

Thanks so much!

Hi, I don't live there but do own a condo and property, just visit. Personally, I would have gas powered, you can go much much longer than elec. and not as much decay with gas vs electrical corrosion. MHO

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Originally Posted by champion
Hi, I don't live there but do own a condo and property, just visit. Personally, I would have gas powered, you can go much much longer than elec. and not as much decay with gas vs electrical corrosion. MHO

I have to agree. I initially purchased an electric cart and found it a pain to keep charged. Our place is just north of the bridge and one night we were coming home and barely made it to the top of the bridge because of low batteries. I sold it immediately and bought a gas cart. A quick look at the gas gauge makes you feel a whole lot more comfortable. Gas or electric, if you don't do routine "preventive" maintenance you're hosed! The climate is torture on carts.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks to both of you - I appreciate the feedback!

P
P
I disagree on some points but your distance prob means Gas. I love my electric cart and so long as you keep the batteries topped up with water and charge (easy just plug it in when not in use - how is that a pain?)and the connections tight they have a lot less to go wrong.

Range is the down side to silence and four miles return trip more than once in a day might tax the charge a little if not full. We just took ours last week ~14 miles to Legacy and back and charge was pretty low at the end - The Bridge was a 50/50 just at the home stretch made it with a little push. An electric golf cart is designed to do what - three or four rounds of Golf? How far is that? Prob around 10 miles. Either choice will cause problems from time to time, so one of you will need to learn basic maintenance and repairs being quite a way out of town. Tons of mechanics for both types.

An electric golf cart is designed to do what - three or four rounds of Golf?

Two 18 hole rounds per day, no more, severely drained batteries last only half as long. NEVER go beyound 25% remaining.
P&P, when its parked, its plugged in.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
I purchased a new electric Yamaha with 4 seats forward and a luggage carrier behind that. That was abut 8 years ago. I loved it!

It was quiet and I made a round trip to Rocky Point and several to Rojo's Lounge --- when it was new. The ride was very smooth and the cart was quiet I should have traded it in when it was 4 or 5 years old because it became a pain in the patut and a drain on the bank!

Just last month I did turn it over and bought a 4 seat gas Club car. The ride is not as soft and it is louder; however, I hope to not run into all the battery and welding problems I had with the Yahaha.

Also, the first 5 years I had no way of hosing it down daily (condo). Now I have a caretaker with a power washer who cleans it on a regular basis.

NOTE: A few months ago I made two round trips to Tranquility Bay and used less than a tank of gas each time. (I have already been chastised so hold the hisses),

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Harriette can you please tell me how much gas can you put in and what is the cost to fill it up?

I have read everyone's answers to your question and they make a lot of sense. However, there is another option. I have an Apache Stealth Electric ATV (really it looks just like a golf cart) that I keep at my place about four miles North of the bridge. It is four wheel drive, has very high clearance, and is designed for off road use. It has a 72 volt system that will take 30 to 40 miles off road so driving back and forth to town is not a problem at all. Also, mine has a solar top that works completely automatically to recharge the batteries. So, just park it outside and it will charge up - it is a little slow to charge this way. It has an all aluminum (aircraft grade) frame so it is fairly resistant to the ever present corrosion there. I moved to AC on the QRP program but due to health reasons I don't live there anymore. If you would like to look at the vehicle or even drive it to see if this is something of interest to you just let me know. I also have a little used boat I am interested in selling. Just send me an email: [email protected].
Martin

Last edited by CaptOneIron; 08/07/13 02:50 PM.

Captain One Iron
Originally Posted by Inplub
Harriette can you please tell me how much gas can you put in and what is the cost to fill it up?

My Club Car holds 7 gallons which last nearly a month. Last time I was down, gas was about $10 - $11 BZ

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.