Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Megankj Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Good morning! We'll be there for our honeymoon in just over a month (!), and I have two unrelated questions:

1) Groceries. We're staying at Cocotal (about 2.5 mi north of San Pedro, I believe) for 5 nights, where we'll have a full kitchen. The driver for the hotel will stop so that we can pick up groceries when we arrive, but I understand there are several smaller markets (which specialize in different things) so I want to make sure to head to the one (or two, I suppose, if they're close) that most fit our needs.

I expect we'll be cooking about 2/3 of our own meals, since we'll be coming from an all-inclusive (and thus sick of heavy/fancy dinners!), and since many restaurants around us will be closed for the slow season. I'm a vegetarian but my fiance is not, so we'll probably do mostly vegetarian stuff and then grill up some chicken, fish, etc for him to go alongside (plus, he can get his meat fix the meals we do eat out!). I assume we can pick up chicken/fish/etc when we are in town after a dive trip or other excursion. As such, I think we'll need mostly produce and basic grocery items (rice, beans, tortillas, cheese, sandwich fixings, etc). Is there a specific place I should request we stop? Anything I should know regarding what we should expect to find in Belize and what we may be surprised not to?

2) Weather. We'll be there September 19-24 (and in the Mountain Pine Ridge from the 14th-19th). I understand that it's hurricane season, and that we obviously can't predict what might happen this far out- but barring a specific/unusual weather event, what should I expect for high/low temps, rain, etc? We live in the mid-Atlantic US, so I'm used to hot/humid summer weather that doesn't really cool off much at night. Should I bring a sweater to wear over sundresses once the sun goes down, or for overactive AC? If anyone can address similar questions regarding our time in the MPR, I'd be happy to know that too!

Thanks!

You are staying at a lovely place. Tanya, the owner, is a wonderful woman and you can trust what she tells you.

The only warning I will give you is that the fruits and vegetables here are all grown without checmicals = don't last a long time. For instance; I can buy bananas ONLY if they will be eaten within 23 hours.

I also suggest you bring your favorite snacks from the states. When ever someone comes to visit I always request a couple of bags of Costco's trail mix.

Congratulations - happy honeymoon.

Last edited by ScubaLdy; 08/15/13 03:45 PM.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Before you take all the advice you get from this message board, you might want to check further. I am not sure, but I do not think Belize allows you to bring snakes from the US. wink

L
L
Snakes on a Plane! OMG!!!!!

I would bring snacks rather than snakes.

Last edited by champion; 08/15/13 08:39 AM.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
L
L
Does Costco sell their tail-mix with and without snakes?

I have snacked on snakes before and it does taste like chicken. I guess you would call it rattlesnacks. laugh
Don't know about Costco, but you can get some the second week in March in Sweetwater Texas.

Last edited by bywarren; 08/15/13 09:06 AM.
M
Megankj Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Well, like I said- I'm a vegetarian so I don't plan to eat any snake. My fiance probably would though!

;-)

L
L
Dennys menu today is Chicken fried Steak, Tomorrow it may be Chicken fried Snake!

Last edited by larrypied; 08/15/13 09:34 AM.
C
C
There are produce stands pretty much everywhere but remember better to buy fresh, it doesn't last long. Super Buy in town will have pretty much everything else you need for staples. There is also Richie's up by the roundabout.

Live Laugh Love
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 328 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.