Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Waterman #470695 08/21/13 11:32 AM
P
P
^Pick a country. A first world one even. Write/email the Ministry of the Health and ask the level of any illness disease there and................wait.

Seemed the progression of posts had a hidden agenda rather than a visitor popping in with a question to me. Calling their response BS when actually getting one is rude and opens people to opinions.

It's Dengue. We aren't talking a rare virus. It's commonly classed as a mild to moderate virus, rather than a fearful stone cold killer - although it has rare strains that can be. Worldwide 50 million cases a year, of course we're gonna get some

Phil #470705 08/21/13 03:45 PM
Could not agree more Phil.

There have been cases of dengue fever here on the island but the health dept is taking steps to try control the spread.
As has been said before, this is the tropics and with that comes tropical Diseases. If people cleaned their yards and filled low areas where water collects under houses, we can help stop this outbreak.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
Waterman #470708 08/21/13 05:26 PM
T
T
One of the best ways to help the problem is to use mosquito nets over the bed you sleep on. If they get in your house (which they now do more than ever) you can bet they will feed on you while your sleeping. I can bring these in for cheap, but depends on import duties. Duties should be waved for this health related preventative measure, but we'll see. I will bring in crib size nets for newborns and let Doctors give them for free to new and expecting Moms anyway. In Africa, screens on doors and windows has significantly decreased mosquito related deseases. The little bastards adapt quickly to everything except DDT.

Waterman #470709 08/21/13 06:35 PM
T
T
Actually the mosquito is not the root of the problem. They did not invent, nor are they hatched with desease. The problem lies in their immunity to the desease. When they feed on an infected warm blooded animal (birds, mice, whatever) the virus is stored in its outer shell instead of its circulitory system, which would kill it. The next few times they feed is when the virus is transmitted. Sometimes to us. They don't seem to care that we are not ammune. So they could feed on birds infected on the mainland, but came to SP for a day trip. So if the problem is already here, only DDT or a nuke will irradicate it, and that would still only be temporary. A vaccine is the only permanent answer.

Waterman #470880 08/24/13 03:51 AM

Keeping San Pedro Dengue Free

A month ago, 7News told you about the regional outbreak of Dengue in Central America, which spared Belize. Well today, the Ministry of Health reports that in order to make sure there is not an outbreak in Belize, they are introducing an operation in San Pedro Town.

It includes a ultra-low volume (ULV) spraying, thermal spraying of houses, premises inspections, spraying of drains and the issuing of bed nets to homes in high-risk areas.

And the reason they're doing this is because they've received reports of cases which they suspect of being Dengue infections. As a result, a team from the Vector Control Unit was dispatched to San Pedro on Tuesday to investigate in areas of DFC, Boca Del Rio and San Pablo..

The effort is free of costs for the San Pedro residents, and it comes as a joint effort between the Ministry of Health and the Island's Town Council.

The Ministry of Health is urging the public to take as many precautions as possible to avoid having an outbreak.

Channel 7

Waterman #470910 08/24/13 08:27 AM
I have seen pictures of the mosquitoes that spread Dengue. They appear to be smaller and have white sports. The last few days I have been swamped with little tiny mosquitoes that are so small I couldn't see any spots if they have them. They are everywhere and persist even during strong winds.
My caretaker was fogging every morning and still they kept coming. Anyone else having this problem?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Waterman #470912 08/24/13 08:34 AM
What is thermal spraying?

Waterman #470932 08/24/13 01:05 PM
S
S
Same as the propane atomizers that you can buy at the local hardware stores to spray your yard.

Waterman #470975 08/25/13 07:21 AM
T
T
The bed nets that the town and the Health Dept. are giving away are said to be treated with an insecticide. I'm not sure I'd like my teething toddle (if I had one) knawing on his/her bed net treated with poison. Usually they use: Deltamethrin, Alphacypermethrin and/or Permethrin, or all 3. Dosage: 15-80 mg/m2, 200-500 mg/m2, 200-500 mg/m2. Don't know how safe the stuff is. Hope we don't find out the hard way!

Waterman #470981 08/25/13 08:16 AM
S
S
"the Health Dept. are giving away are said to be treated with an insecticide."

Do you know this to be a fact?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.