Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
SimonB #470992 08/25/13 03:09 PM
T
T
Thats what was said in the Daily 2 days ago.

SimonB #470993 08/25/13 03:17 PM
T
T
This is from yesterday's Daily. "The issuance of chemically-treated bed nets has proven to be the most effective form of personal protection to reduce dengue transmission. This initiative is free of cost to the residents and is being carried out in close collaboration with the San Pedro Town Council."

SimonB #471004 08/25/13 05:40 PM
T
T
The insecticide is completely absorbed into the netting material, and they are usually washed 2 times prior to packaging. The insecticide stays effective for up to 21 more washes after that. So washing won't completely get rid of the poison. Most suppliers of bed nets are from Asia. 98% of there business is selling into Africa to combat mostly Malaria. I doubt they change the insecticide recipe unless asked to do so. I would hope the Board of health did the necessary research to determine what to buy.

Originally Posted by The Inventor Guy
The insecticide is completely absorbed into the netting material, and they are usually washed 2 times prior to packaging. The insecticide stays effective for up to 21 more washes after that. So washing won't completely get rid of the poison. Most suppliers of bed nets are from Asia. 98% of there business is selling into Africa to combat mostly Malaria. I doubt they change the insecticide recipe unless asked to do so. I would hope the Board of health did the necessary research to determine what to buy.

Sometimes you just have to "burn down the barn to get rid of the rats"............

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Waterman #471018 08/25/13 10:42 PM
Mosquitos that carry dengue are daytime biters.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

seashell #471027 08/26/13 05:19 AM
J
J
think it would be more accurate to say that they 'typically' bite during the day. Which is not say that they do not bite during the night.

Johnhenry #471028 08/26/13 05:35 AM
T
T
Yes, you are right. But the little bastards don't know the difference between the sun and a light bulb.

seashell #471081 08/26/13 06:20 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by seashell
Mosquitos that carry dengue are daytime biters.

Wrong. When indoors, the mosquitos that carry dengue bite 24 hrs/day.

PSUhorty #471087 08/27/13 02:13 AM
Thank you gentlemen, I shall consider myself better educated in these matters. smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Waterman #471287 08/29/13 04:24 AM
D
D
"Avoiding Sand Fleas (aka no see ums), Mosquitoes and Other Bothersome and Disease Carrying Insects

by Doc Vikingo

Here's an updated edited version of my "Ask RSD" article on the topic in Rodale's Scuba Diving.

Sand fleas and mosquitoes can be a real bother, not to mention that they are sources of some serious tropical diseases such as leishmaniasis, malaria and certain forms of dengue fever.

The danger and bother of insects can be substantially reduced by these precautions:

(1) Wear long sleeves and pants, avoiding dark or bright colors, especially at dawn and dusk. Protective clothing such as the "Buzz Off" brand can be useful . As an extra precaution, you may treat clothing with permethrin, as in the easy to use Sawyer Products;

(2) Try to stay indoors at dawn and dusk when many flying insects are most active (although the mosquito that transmits dengue is most active during the daytime), and avoid sandy areas as much as possible at any time of day, especially when there is no breeze. When making reservations, make sure the resort has screened windows;

(3) Wear insect repellent. The best protection against these and other insects arguably is full strength DEET. Some divers like things such as Avon's Skin-So-Soft and Cactus Juice, less toxic products than DEET, by the science is solidly behind DEET for long-lasting effectiveness.

Most DEET containing repellents are the 15-30% range of concentration. The testing of various strengths of DEET has shown that after about 30% little additional effectiveness is to be had by upping the strength, and even less after about 50%. As such, there is simply no point in exposing oneself to more potent brews. UltraThon at 32% appears to be a good product. Used as directed over relatively brief periods of time, say a week, DEET has been shown to pose no significant risk when applied to exposed skin. If you wear lightweight, loose fitting clothes, it generally is safe to use DEET underneath. Doing so with heavy, snug fitting clothes can result in dermatological problems and worse. Be aware that DEET can dissolve synthetics like plastics, rayon and nylon, so it's best to wear natural fibers and keep it off your gear.

Relatively recently, picaridin-based repellants have been found to be quite effective and much less irritating to the skin and malodorous than DEET. The line of Cutter's Advanced products is an example.

However, based on the published scientific research some of these products contain questionably small amounts of picaridin, e.g., Cutter Advanced Picaridin Repel at 7%, Cutter Advanced Wipes at 5.75%. It is therefore recommended that a product like Cutter Advanced Aerosol with 15% picaridin be used. Some repellants available in foreign venues contain even higher concentrations of the chemical.

(4) Avoid scented toiletries and perfumes;

(5) Upon arrival, treat your room with insect spray. Touch up with spray after that as needed.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such."

DocVikingo
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 281 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.