Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#472066 09/07/13 01:55 PM
K
OP Offline
K
As I understand it, there is a entrance fee to snorkel at Hol Chan or Shark Ray Alley, but do you have to go with a tour guide? Can you go out individually and pay the fee at the site?

Is it okay to swim or take a kayak to the reef and snorkel at all other locations other than Hol Chan or Shark Ray Alley?

Is there a fee to snorkel at Mexico Rocks?

Thanks in advance and DON'T TOUCH THE REEF!

Kotanali,
Yes the Hol Chan Park fee is 10.us for thoes 12 and over.
I'm sure there is a rule that you have to be accompanied by a licenced Tour Guide.
Mexico Rocks hasn't officially been declared a Reserve and we have no park fee as yet.
I hear form the powers that be, when it is declared a reserve the same Hol Chan ticket will be good for both destinations.
This could happen very soon....well truthfully it's been in the works for 20 years and all I hear is Soon, but like I said 20 years and I feel a little foolish believing them this time :-)but I kinda think maybe this time they really are :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
K
OP Offline
K
So are there buoys at other places along the reef to tie up a kayak or are they only in the marine reserves?

There are buoys along the reef at various spots.

Originally Posted by hazzyy
There are buoys along the reef at various spots.

but not necessarily at regular intervals and not necessarily outside of the reserve...I would recommend initially going with a tour operator and ask the questions you are asking here.

K
OP Offline
K
Thanks for your info.

There are plenty of buoy's outside of Hol Chan and Bacalar Chico (both reserves) Tuffies, Tres Coco's, Mexico Rocks and various other spots down the reef have them. Better yet spend $15 and get a small kayak anchor that you can anchor in the sandy spots with and then you don't need to worry about the buoys.

Kayak Anchor

K
OP Offline
K
Thanks hazzyy, Great idea.

Does anyone have a guess-timate of how far it is out to the reef if I rent a kayak at Sailsports at Caribbean Villas Hotel?

Maya House rents kayaks. One mile north of bridge. There are two buoys between the Palapa Bar and Ak'Bol.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
A
A
I am old and out of shape so you might make an adjustment accordingly. Here are some thoughts to help you determine the distance. I am not tired when I get there nor when I return. I can see it from land without my glasses. It is a two beer ride for me each way. Hope this helps. I know you wanted a guesstimate but I only deal in facts. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.