Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I had a very easy experience with QRP. I applied the end of '01 and received my card early '02. I brought in a container but they never gave me credit for the duty. Nothing was on file as of yet and I would be credited. Not yet. Brought in a second container several years later this time I was questioned about the yearly required brought into the country. I had them contact who I had bought my lot from and my builder, this satisfied all their requirements. Even for many years into the future. But I wanted to apply for citizenship and was told it was not possible. That I would have to surrender my QRP and start from scratch. I only want citizenship to be able to vote. If you don't vote here, you don't count.

1bzman
Residency allows you to vote in all elections except national. Citizenship allows you to vote for the PM

S
S
Not quite correct. Commonwealth citizens can vote in all elections after residing in country for 6 months.

US citizens without Belize residency can not vote.
I think the airlines have either changed their rules or have something in my profile that allows me to travel back here without a problem. The Hon. Manual Heridia Jr. said there is some legislature being considered to allow QRP people to become citizens without the penalties now imposed. That being paying duty on imported goods that were duty free.
I need to look into this again as it has been a couple of years now.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
When traveling to Belize without having a return ticket, the airlines accept the QRP ID card which states "Permit to Reside in Belize".

I
I
Is it possible for me to apply for perm resident plan and my husband as qrp? In the long run doesn't it work out that my spouse and children would be able to file for citizenship after 5 years too? While our transition is taking place, I would be the one able to stay for the first year while he would still need to fly back to the states for awhile. The qrp would allow that as well as him to being things over each visit that are needed but he could also ship as well? The proof of income and spending are different for each path of residency, but they accept a property investment as that spending satisfied as well? If I'm understanding some of you correctly, it Should mean that as $24k US a year under regular perm residence requirements would be satisfied for the whole 5 years if a purchase of land and a home are made.

B
B
Originally Posted by IslandLife4Me
Is it possible for me to apply for perm resident plan and my husband as qrp? In the long run doesn't it work out that my spouse and children would be able to file for citizenship after 5 years too? While our transition is taking place, I would be the one able to stay for the first year while he would still need to fly back to the states for awhile. The qrp would allow that as well as him to being things over each visit that are needed but he could also ship as well? The proof of income and spending are different for each path of residency, but they accept a property investment as that spending satisfied as well? If I'm understanding some of you correctly, it Should mean that as $24k US a year under regular perm residence requirements would be satisfied for the whole 5 years if a purchase of land and a home are made.

Not sure on the QRP how many times you can bring stuff over. Seems there is some limit on the dollar value of goods, maybe $15k. Also, buying property will not satisfy the $24k annual income unless something has changed. The $24k annual is for QRP and has nothing to do with Permanent Residency.

Originally Posted by IslandLife4Me

Your husband can be QRP, you can go the "regular" route - yes.

To achieve permanent residency you will need to spend a year here (not under the QRP program) with either a work permit or renewed tourist visas, and spend no more than 14 days in that year out of country. After that you can apply for Permanent Residency, which takes a bit of time to process.

After your five years of residency you can apply to become a citizen, provided you meet the various requirements at the time. This has no effect at all on your husband's immigration status. QRP time in country does not apply towards citizenship.

The issues affecting immigration / children (which program you choose for them )- that is something you may wish to check out with a local attorney. Age of kids is probably a consideration.

Permanent residency does not require proof of income.
QRP does require proof of income.
Proof of income and proof of having spent money are not the same thing. If you spend all your money on a house it does not guarantee that you have enough money for daily life, and that is the part the GoB cares about.

Under QRP there are clear guidelines on what you can bring and how often - the BTB administers this program and should be able to provide you with current guidelines.

Many of us on this board have gone through QRP, Residency, Work Permits and/or citizenship. Rules and programs change over time, and personal circumstances have a bearing on the process as well. Advise you that any info you get on this board is subject to change over time and may not be precisely applicable to your situation. Best to get the programs from the departments in government that administer them, read everything and then make decisions based on the most up to date info.

Bear in mind that most policies state - "or at the discretion of the Minister". The result is that sometimes the rules are applied differently due to mitigating circumstances.

Best of luck with your move!!

Diane - your PM box is full

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I
I
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
Diane - your PM box is full

Yes, I've tried several times to send you a message. Please Message me when you are able to. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.