Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#472840 09/18/13 09:41 PM
P
paw Offline OP
OP Offline
P
TO ALL VISITORS & LOCALS INTERESTED IN ANIMAL WELFARE ON CAYE CAULKER

Sadly, i spoke with the Caye Caulker Village Council this afternoon and they confirmed that there will be a dog eradication soon. They informed me that the specific date and number of dogs that will be euthanized was confidential.

They mentioned that the reason for this eradication is that they have been asking the public for the past month or so to keep their dogs off the streets and to walk them on leashes but that many locals refuse to follow the suggestions.

They also mentioned that many children are becoming ill from playing on the streets where the strays have been and also that over half the locals are requesting an eradication.

In their words, "This is a clean up"

Although I can understand how many feel about strays I did mentioned to the Caye Caulker Village Council that it is not the strays fault and that year after year they are the ones being punished.

Furthermore, there will continue to be strays unless a more sustainable solution is set in place.

IF YOU SQUEEZE LEMONS THAT IS ALL YOU WILL GET LEMON JUICE! We need to use a different approach if we want different results!

We need to set laws in place and people will not like it but sorry that is how the world is, and the animals should not be suffering for people's mistakes year after year.

THIS IS THE PROPOSAL OF "PAW CAT SANCTUARY & HUMANE SOCIETY" to help animals & people on the island of Caye Caulker.

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE PROPOSED YEAR AFTER YEAR AND KNOW THAT IT WILL WORK. PEOPLE WILL NOT LIKE IT BUT HEY , IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR ANIMALS & BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION THEN YOU SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO BE A PART OF THE PROBLEM EITHER!

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS IN NO WAY A CRITCISM OF ANYONES' WORK. I WOULD JUST LIKE THIS ISLAND TO BE A BETTER PLACE FOR HUMANS AS WELL AS ANIMALS.

PAW'S PROPOSAL

The reason behind PAWS proposal is to solve the very problems that we have been having year after year even after many animal irradications which are: too many animals populating the island & too many animals roaming the streets which is not good for public health or tourism industry.

I believe that there should be a process to owning a dog , anyone wanting to have a dog must apply to own one and there should be requirements that everyone must meet in order to see if they qualify to own a dog.

These requirements may sound harsh to some people but I do firmly believe that some people should not be allowed to have a dog because they don't care for it and it ends up on the street where later is is killed by the government. So what is worst, not allowing people to have a dog or allowing them based on "they have a right" etc. etc. and then the poor animals suffers with their lives?

Some of the requirements should be the following:

1. You must show that you have a fence yard where you will keep the dog.
2. Show proof that you can afford to care for the dog financially.
3. Show proof of age.
4. If your application is approved, the dog must be
a) Sterilized
b) microchiped
c) vaccinated

THE RATIONEL BEHIND THIS PROPOSAL

FOR POPULATION CONTROL

1. MANDATORY STERILIZATION: . People will continue to breed animals, buy animals because they look cute as pups and once they do not want them anymore they will end up on the streets because there is no law stating otherwise.
If folks that care for their animals are against this, at least this could be on a case by case decision. Eg. do a home study to see if people are responsible pet owners that will keep animals in yard and have the financies to care for animals.

2. ONE ANIMAL PER HOUSEHOLD: Again can be on a case by case decision eg. home study to see if family can afford more than one pet. WE KNOW THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE IN THIS VILLAGE THAT CANNOT AFFORD TO HAVE AN ANIMAL BUT GET ONE TO BREED THEM ANYWAY. THEN IT BECOMES THE VILLAGE RESPONSIBILITY.

3. AGE REQUIREMENT: This proposal has to do with population control. If adults do not take care of animals much less kids. .DO YOU THINK KIDS ARE RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH TO CARE FOR ANIMALS?. EVERYONE IN THE WORLD KNOWS THIS. THAT IS WHY ITS A REALLY BAD IDEA FOR PEOPLE TO GIVE PETS AT CHRISTMAS BECAUSE A PUP LOOKS CUTE AND EVERYONE WANTS ONE AND THEN AS IT GROWS NO ONE WANTS TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR IT AND IT ENDS UP ON THE STREET.

ALSO HAVE YOU EVER SEEN WHAT KIDS THAT OWN PITTBULLS TEACH THEM TO DO? TO GO AFTER OTHER SMALL DOGS & CATS , WHAT IF THEY ATTACK AND HURT A CHILD , WHO WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DAMAGE? DO YOU THINK A PARENT WILL? AND THEN AGAIN THE DAMAGE IS DONE . TO PREVENT THIS THEY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO OWN ONE. EVEN DRINKING OR SMOKING HAS A AGE RESTRICTION.

STRAY ANIMAL CONTROL

4. MICROCHIP PROPOSAL. once animals are picked up they can be identified immediately, no lying about ownership and therefore owners can be charge for 1) being irresponsible & allowing animals to roam 2) if mandatory sterilization is in effect & animal is not fixed owners pay a fee.

PUBLIC HEALTH

5. MANDATORY RABIES VACCINATION: To protect the animals & the public.

OUR PRAYERS GOES OUT TO ALL THOSE ANIMALS THAT WILL SUFFER THE PRICE WITH THEIR LIVES FOR THE IRRESPONSIBLE OWNERS!!

paw #472841 09/18/13 09:47 PM
N
N
I have not seen anything anywhere from the VC asking people to leash their dogs. I wish they would enforce that but they don't. It's easier to kill the dogs.

All the laws, regulations and policies in the world won't help if no one enforces them.

paw #472896 09/19/13 11:26 AM
C
C
People need to take responsibility but I agree it's difficult to enforce. But does the Village Council have meetings with all residents to discuss this? Surely this is the first step?

paw #472904 09/19/13 01:20 PM
N
N
The CCVC meetings are not announced to the public. The news of the poisoning was leaked, not announced.

paw #472978 09/20/13 08:21 AM
C
C
It was on channel 6, the Caye Caulker Information channel.

paw #472984 09/20/13 09:54 AM
D
D
I would like to support the proposal submitted by PAW.
I would also like to see the reasons and concerns for not following this proposal.
Poisoning of dogs and cats is unforgiveable; and euthanasia is unnecessary if a little time and effort are put forth.
The money that is spent on poisoning and euthanasia could be used for the measures outlined in the PAW proposal.
Please ... i would like to see some communication here from the Council.
thanks !

paw #472992 09/20/13 11:18 AM
D
D
When submitting ideas to CCVC it is wise to include the source of the funding. They have NO extra money at all and a lot a good things they are trying to pay for.

paw #473021 09/20/13 04:35 PM
X
X
Some of the requirements should be the following:

1. You must show that you have a fence yard where you will keep the dog.
2. Show proof that you can afford to care for the dog financially.
3. Show proof of age.

Hmmmmm, Don't get me wrong, I'm a dog lover, but under these conditions, there's more requirements to have a dog than there is to have children!

paw #473025 09/20/13 05:15 PM
C
C
I am sure your approach would work. I am equally sure it will be just about impossible to implement. Microchips and readers are expensive, and an approval process is an invitation to corruption and the wielding of power and influence typical for Belize. Neutering is the best solution in the long run, but doesn't help with the problems these dogs (and their owners, of course) cause NOW. Some sort of cull (Not poison!)is needed. And having my finances X-rayed just because I'd like a dog?! Tough sell.
So how about a low-tech, low bureaucracy compromise? Dog tags with numbers allow any animal that wears them to be linked to their owner. Address on file. Fine levied for straying. And by definition, any animal that doesn't wear a tag is a stray, and such, can be INSTANTLY fostered out, adopted or euthanized. No need to go into screening/approving prospective owners. A small fee for dog tag pays for tag and care of strays and also may help with the problem of people too poor to feed dogs who breed them anyway. Traffic wardens can help to identify strays and problem dogs.

Chris7 #473034 09/20/13 06:41 PM
P
paw Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thank you so much Chris7 for your kind response. Wow, the solutions one can arrive at with open discussions! I am pretty sure there is a solution out there but we can only get to it if we all work together. Many people out there I am sure, like myself would like to see the killings of innocent animals stopped and the proposal I am throwing out there is just that, an idea something other than JUST PLAIN KILLING. We can brain storm this together and come up with a more sustainable solution.

I also discussed the idea of a Collar & tag with the CCV council and its so interesting that you mentioned this too and they actually like this idea, so lets hope that they try to implement this.

PAW has done a drive/fundraising and come up with 300 so far to donate to the animals of the village.

The only draw back with the tags is that people can remove them off the animals as opposed to a microchip.

PAW also has in stock microchips as well to donate to start with the microchip program if the CCV Council wants to follow up with this proposal.

In any event KILLING is the easy way out, there are other options as you all can see. Lets try something different, if it doesn't work that is ok but we tried and we can always try a different approach, nothing is written in stone!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day