Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: DOG ERADICATION [Re: XTC500] #473035
09/20/13 06:49 PM
09/20/13 06:49 PM
P
paw Offline OP
paw  Offline OP
P
Hi XTC500 , thanks for your response, every input is appreciated , this is the way to find a more sustainable solution. You mentioned there are more requirements to having a dog than there are to having children>? ACTUALLY, THAT IS THE IDEA! There should be more requirements because people are getting dogs and not caring for them anyway, they get them when they are pups and look cute then they are dumping them on the streets where they become a pest to others and the village responsibility, THEN THE CCVC Kills the animals when its no fault of their own. IF PEOPLE ARE NOT GOING TO CARE FOR AN ANIMAL THEN THEY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAVE ONE!!

Re: DOG ERADICATION [Re: paw] #473039
09/20/13 07:46 PM
09/20/13 07:46 PM
Caye Caulker
D
Dane Offline
Dane  Offline
D
It is worth noting that the Village Council can not pass laws or collect fees on their own.
These regs being proposed would have to already be the law for the CCVC to ask the police to enforce them. If you find the police are good at enforcement , then someone could approach them directly.
If these ideas are not Belize Law then someone who can propose laws in Congress is the only one who can help.

Re: DOG ERADICATION [Re: paw] #473044
09/20/13 10:23 PM
09/20/13 10:23 PM
Caye Caulker
C
Cooper Offline
Cooper  Offline
C
Dane, all the dog laws are already set by the Government. The laws have been on the books for years, even with set fines. The Police should enforce them but they had no clue. I have printed out The Belize Dog Act laws several times and taken them to the police Dept. They so far will not even accept complaints filled out on proper forms. I have also had to look up a few other Belize laws the Police did not know existed and take them to them, like neighborhood noise laws. In fairness to the Police. We have so many laws its hard to know all of them. Like the 5 page set of laws referring to trains. How far you have to stay from the tracks, What to do when a person is passed out on the train tracks, on and on. Keeping livestock off the tracks. Boy I sure do feel safer on my train trips in Belize knowing how protected I am.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Re: DOG ERADICATION [Re: XTC500] #473061
09/21/13 05:34 AM
09/21/13 05:34 AM
D
donnap27 Offline
donnap27  Offline
D
and there SHOULD be more requirements to have children !
smile

Re: DOG ERADICATION [Re: paw] #473086
09/21/13 08:13 AM
09/21/13 08:13 AM
Ontario, Canada
M
Marya1951 Offline
Marya1951  Offline
M
Hi there
Just going thru the site and I see that Saga Humane Society is looking for volunteers LOL ......do they not know about the eradication of dogs......promoting spay/neutering . It would tell me that this organization is falsely fundraising for the cause.
I have a charitable organization Cottage Country Cats Animal Rescue and successful with tHe TNR program. The small town I live in and surrounding area has a program that the Municipality pays for the Spay/neutering.....we are now after 4 years have controlled most of the population. ,
For dogs there is a license fee and cheaper for spayed/neutered dogs. Also the SPCA adoption requirements are strict and $150 fee to adopt which includes shots and spay or neutering.
It makes me think twice about visiting Caye Caulker based on their decision. If this knowledge went beyond the island there would be a loss of some tourism. Are they prepared for that. It is not good for both tourism and locals. Many fines are put in place here for careless owners.

Maryanne Leach
Re: DOG ERADICATION [Re: paw] #473087
09/21/13 08:33 AM
09/21/13 08:33 AM
S
SimonB Offline

SimonB  Offline
S
Have you ever been to Belize? Have you ever visited Saga? Did you know that Saga has nothing to do with Caye Caulker? Do you have any idea at all what Saga does and how long it's been in operation?

Re: DOG ERADICATION [Re: paw] #473090
09/21/13 09:51 AM
09/21/13 09:51 AM
N
Noelle Offline
Noelle  Offline
N
Maryi1951, if you have questions about how shelters work here, or their relationship to community government, please feel free to ask. No need to scoff and look down your nose - answers are available.

From what you write it sounds like there in Ontario, your little shelter get to decide animal control policy for local local government. Nice position you are in! You guys just say, "this is what's best for the animals" and the government does it? Cool!

I love Caye Caulker and recommend it as a great place to visit to almost anyone but I think that you're right. It might not be the best place for you to vacation. I recommend somewhere else in Canada, the US or perhaps Western Europe. You should be OK there.

Re: DOG ERADICATION [Re: paw] #473093
09/21/13 10:54 AM
09/21/13 10:54 AM
San Pedro Town, A.C.
Chica Blanca Offline
Chica Blanca  Offline
Saga Humane Society (established 1999) is based on Ambergris Caye, not Caye Caulker. We are aware of the situation on our sister island, but we too are less than 10 dedicated volunteers trying to make a difference to our island of 20,000 people and their animals. We have met with the Caye Caulker HS and a representative of the Village Council on dog issues. Our recommendation was the same as it was on Ambergris Caye, have Government enforce existing Belize Law Dog Act Chap 153. If you want to learn more about Saga HS, google us, visit our website, read about Operation SNIP find us on Saga HS Facebook or better yet stop by our clinic and meet our hard working dedicated staff. A staff who everyday make a difference in the lives of our island pets. Become informed about the issues effecting and limiting our humane societies.

Every humane society within Belize KNOWS about TNR, Spay & Neuter. We all actively fundraise to provide these services within our communities. None of us receive any government funding or reimbursement for our services. This is not to blame government, as they too are cash strapped. This is a developing economy with a rising standard of living, but still many vital community services are supplied by various NGO's.

It is easy to judge from afar, but it wasn't too long ago in North America and Europe that dogs roamed freely to breed. Now the breeding is at puppy mills and death is hidden behind sterile walls of a county shelter. Pet overpopulation is a problem the world over, not just Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye. Help us be part of the solution. Donate money directly to one of our humane society for a free spay/neuter.

[Linked Image]

Coleen Creeden
Saga Humane Society
www.sagahumanesociety.org

Last edited by Chica Blanca; 09/21/13 12:00 PM. Reason: add link

Coleen

Beach bum, butterfly stalker, native plant enthusiast.
Re: DOG ERADICATION [Re: paw] #473094
09/21/13 11:09 AM
09/21/13 11:09 AM
Caye Caulker
C
Chris7 Offline
Chris7  Offline
C
I want a like button! SO many great women and responses, Coleen, Noelle, Deb, hats off to all of you! Isn't it often the case in Belize that what is needed to solve problems is simply enforcement of existing laws? Lack of funds for CCVC is just one example, nobody pays their property tax, and nothing happens?! How can that be? And the police, for whatever and various reasons,is just not able or willing to do much enforcing. So I think just like with the traffic laws, the village would have a better chance to enforce its own laws with its own existing traffic wardens. So they'd be more like bylaw officers.

Re: DOG ERADICATION [Re: paw] #473101
09/21/13 12:57 PM
09/21/13 12:57 PM
Caye Caulker
D
Dane Offline
Dane  Offline
D
Deb,
Does Paws proposal exactly match the written law?
Does it mention funding the tags and so on?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
January
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 595 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics70,442
Posts478,665
Members19,579
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day