Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
paw #473102 09/21/13 01:51 PM
P
paw Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi Dane, the response to your question is NO. There is nothing in PAWS' proposal that matches The Belize Dog's Act. PAWS proposal is just ideas being thrown out there to try to arrive at a better solution than plain KILLING!!!

Also on another note regarding laws, FYI, I was informed that the CCVC has the power to inact local laws that can bring solutions to this island, therefore, I don't see why the problem with animals cannot be one of them.

paw #473103 09/21/13 01:54 PM
"It would tell me that this organization is falsely fundraising for the cause." I believe this is referred to as libel. It is shameful that someone claiming to care about animals would libel an organisation doing amazing work in a developing country in seemingly total ignorance. People who truly care about animals and animal welfare choose to help and work with other animal welfare organisations.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

paw #473104 09/21/13 02:09 PM
Here is an outline of Belize Law Dog Act Chap. 153.

Dog Laws and Nuisance Outline

Belize Law: Dogs Act Chapter 153
"licensing authority" means, in the case of Belize City, the Belize City Council; San Pedro, the San Pedro Town Council; Caye Caulker, the Caye Caulker Village Council; St. George's Caye, the St. Georges Caye Community Council; Belmopan, the Belmopan City Council, and in the case of any other town, the Town Council responsible for administering that town;
Dog licensing Authority:
- Issuing of badge and licenses-
- "dog license" means a license to keep a dog or dogs in a town issued in accordance with the provisions of this Act by the licensing authority for that town.
� Provided that unless and until a licensing authority has prescribed the fee to be paid for a dog license, the fee for each dog shall be five dollars in the case of licenses issued by the Belize City Council and two dollars and fifty cents in other cases. $2.50BZ
� Each licensing authority shall keep a separate register for each town showing the name, occupation and place of abode of each person to whom they issue a dog license and the number of dogs he is licensed to keep by such license.
Revenue collection -
- The licensing authority, subject to the approval of the Minister, may by Order prescribe-
(i) the fees to be paid for dog licenses in their respective districts;
(ii) the fees to be charged for the seizure of dogs by dog catchers under section 10;
(iii) the charges pound keepers are authorized to collect in respect of dogs detained by them in dog pounds.
Disposal of money received for licenses and fines.
-Money received for dog licenses issued by licensing authority, and fines recovered under this Act on the information of any licensing authority, other than as aforesaid, shall form part of the general revenue of that licensing authority.
-Money received by the licensing authorities from the keeper of the dog pound shall in the case of any other licensing authority, form part of the general revenue of that licensing authority.
Provision for expenses-
-Expenses incurred in connection with this Act shall be paid, out of the general revenue of the Council.
-The authorized charges of the keeper of a dog pound, if not paid by the owner of the dog, shall, be paid out of the general revenue of the licensing authority.
Dog Catcher and Dog Pound-
-The licensing authority for any town may, from time to time by Order published in the Gazette, declare any place to be the dog pound for that town and appoint a keeper thereof.
� If, within three days from the seizure of a dog detained in a dog pound, any person satisfies the licensing authority of the town in which the dog was seized that he is the owner of the dog, and either that no license is required for the dog, or that he is licensed to keep a dog in that town and does not keep in that town more dogs than the number he is licensed to keep therein, and pays to the keeper of the dog pound his authorized charges, and catcher's fees, the keeper shall deliver the dog to that person.
-"Dog catcher" means a person authorized by a licensing authority to seize dogs.
� Every dog catcher shall, while exercising the powers conferred by this section, wear a distinctive badge or uniform of a pattern approved by the Minister.
� For purposes of section 39 of the Police Act, a dog catcher exercising the power conferred by this section and wearing such badge or uniform specified in subsection (2) shall be deemed to be a police officer acting in the execution of his duty.
Prohibition on allowing dogs to be at large-
-Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, no owner of a dog shall permit that dog to be at large in any street or place of public resort in any town and any person who contravenes this section is guilty of an offence and is, on summary conviction, liable to a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars $100BZ.
Power to seize dogs in certain cases.-
-That dog may be seized by any police officer or dog catcher and the owner of the dog shall in cases (a), (b) and (c) be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding twenty-five dollars: $25 BZ. Provided that a person shall not be convicted under paragraph (a) if he proves that no licence is required in respect of the dog.
� Whenever a dog is seen in a town, on a highway or in a place of public resort in any of the following cases-
(a)not having a collar with a licensing badge for the current year attached thereto; or
(b)Dogs appearing to be a stray or ownerless dog; or
(c)being a bitch in heat and being neither led nor carried; or
(d)suffering from any contagious disease and not being carried; or
(e)suffering from any disease or injury which causes pain to the dog and being neither led nor carried,
Power of magistrate to fine or order destruction of dogs.
-Whenever it appears to a magistrate on complaint being made to him under the Summary Jurisdiction Acts, that a dog is vicious or savage, whether to animals or human beings, or likely to spread any disease or, by reason of its habit of persistent barking or for any other reason, is a nuisance, the magistrate may order the owner of the dog to keep it under proper control or in such a manner that it shall not be a nuisance, or may order the owner to destroy the dog.
� Every person who fails to comply with such order shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding ten dollars $10BZ for each day or part of a day during which the order has not been complied with.

Coleen

Beach bum, butterfly stalker, native plant enthusiast.
collyk #473105 09/21/13 03:26 PM
M
M
I agree 100 % I can not understand why Saga would not help Caye Caulkers situation of eradication, they are only a boat ride away.
I have rec'd some nasty emails on my site but they only roll off my shoulders.
Does not matter where you live all organizations try to help one another. I get food donated from big pet food companies because I am a registered charity , in turn I help out the smaller rescues with providing food, fundraising , and volunteers , we are all the same but sometimes politics gets involved.
Paws sanctuary does amazing work and Madi spreads herself out everywhere including Mexico to help at spay/neuter clinics and education.
Bottom line is this is where people should donate.

Maryanne Leach
M
M
Like the by law great if it was followed up correctly

Maryanne Leach
SimonB #473108 09/21/13 03:31 PM
M
M
Yes , yes, and yes.
My point they should have involvement with Caye Caulker , only a boat ride away.

Maryanne Leach
Noelle #473109 09/21/13 03:41 PM
M
M
Love your email and I know how shelters work in Belize been many times and keep in touch on a regular basis. Also travelled to many third world countries whom have the same problems and help one another
Caye Caulker is a boat ride away from Saga but I have not heard of Saga helping other islands.
All rescue organizations help one another in many countries .
I am very impressed with one organization PAWS Sanctuary where there are no boundaries. So my confusion as to why Saga does not help Caye Caulker or even have input into the eradication issue there.
I guess we do not want to rock the boat. By the way you have no idea the size of our shelters.
Happy tails!

Maryanne Leach
paw #473114 09/21/13 04:13 PM
N
N
Caye Caulker has a humane society that has done wonders for the health and well being of the animals of Caye Caulker. They spay and neuter any animal whether owned or not. They do *not* have the authority to force people to fix their dogs.

paw #473115 09/21/13 04:23 PM
C
C
Thanks for that law excerpt!! So it's ALL in place, CCVC would have all the tools at their disposal to do something that would have a PERMANENT positive influence! There are even provisions to set the fee a touch higher to make sure costs of 'dog policing' are covered by dog owners. Make traffic wardens dog catchers, voila, control! Even if it isn't in time to stop the poisoning (but why the hell can't that be stopped NOW?!Don't tell me that CCVC doesn't even KNOW or can't control who lobs around poison balls in it's jurisdiction!)- this should be done regardless of strychnine or not, since every study confirms that poisoning is a short term solution at best.

Chris7 #473130 09/21/13 06:46 PM
P
paw Offline OP
OP Offline
P
My sentiments exactly Chris7, you said it correctly! They have everything in their power to STOP THIS RIGHT NOW!!! NOT TOMORROW NOW!! BUT THEY JUST CHOOSE THE EASY WAY OUT. This is how they described it to me when i spoke to them at the CCVC. They say they are "cleaning the place out!" How sad right? THen they say starting Jan 1st. 2o14 they will start FRESH with new laws in place. Great I say! But why not start now, stop the killing today, these animals don't deserve this , its not there fault. There response was that 1/2 the locals on this island want an eradication because their kids are getting sick playing on the streets. When i mentioned this is bad for tourism their response was, "well, they don't live here, its not their kids getting sick". HEY, WHAT IF PEOPLE THAT ARE AGAINST THIS PROTEST TO THE KILLING OF THESE INNOCENT ANIMALS IN FRONT OF THE CCVC'S OFFICE? WOULD ANYONE OUT THERE GO FOR THIS? Just throwing ideas out there , anything that may help these furry ones!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day