Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
A search and rescue operation is underway in the Cayo district for a group, believed to be tourists, who are reportedly trapped near the ATM cave in Teakettle village. Preliminary reports are that the group, including about 10 tourists and a couple of tour guides ran into trouble as a result of a flash flood due to heavy rains in the the area.

...later last evening....

SUCCESS!!! The rescue mission was successfully completed just before midnight. All the tourists and guides who were trapped by flash flood near the ATM cave in Teakettle village have been accounted for. They are now on their way to San Ignacio town.

Patrick Jones

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Were Russians Really Stranded On Way To ATM Cave?

The social media lit up yesterday when rumors went out that 10 tourists got trapped in the ATM Caves IN Teakettle due to a flash food.

Well, it appears that those rumors were greatly exaggerated. That's what the tour guide from Mayawalk Tours, who led the tourists into the caves told us today, when we spoke to him. Here's how he described the events:

Aaron Juan, Owner/Operator Mayawalk Tours
"No one was trapped in the cave. We never went in the cave. It was a normal day at the ATM (Actun Tunichil Muknal). In the rainy season the river goes up and down and we are always a little bit careful about that and I had explain that to them already."

"They are all river rafting guides actually and one of them owns an adventure company in the states. One owns an adventure "White Water Rafting" in Russia. Our little river to them was not a big deal. They decide to try it and if we can do the cave then we do it but if we can't then we just return. I had explain all that already to them."

"We were never in danger at any point. We cross the river a couple of times on our hike to the cave. The river actually went up - it had a flash flood. The trail is design where it goes down to the river then it has a high point. We went up to the high point and then the river went up about 9 feet above normal. I know the river; the Roaring Creek goes up quickly and goes back down quickly. I had explain that to them already and I said to them that the only thing we can do right now is just wait."

" I was actually more concern about the van waiting for us - that they would get a little bit concern about why we haven't been back by a certain time. My dad was actually at the parking and he knows that if the see the river go up - obviously we will have to wait."

"On our time waiting we built a little fire. I told stories and they were telling me about their business and actually in between the quarter mile I gave them a little jungle tour. They were happy with it."

"It wasn't raining, so it was not uncomfortable. We sat there and monitor the river and about 3 hours the river went down about 4 feet and so we decided to wait another hour for it to go on a safe level."

"I have to insist that no one was ever in a serious danger."

According to Juan, the guests have since left the country, and they intend to come back to have that tour of the ATM Caves.

Channel 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 250 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.