Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
As far as I know there's a law in Belize saying that the government must give funds to communities for the September celebrations and I know that pretty much all communities received help.
Let me tell you what happened in Arenal village.
On June 2nd we had elected our sleeping UDP chairmen out of the village and for the first time in 30 years elected a PUP chairman. The day of the elections we heard that the government might try to sabotage and punish us if we would vote for a change and minutes after the result had been published there were big stones thrown from both sides of the street and both political party members - I got in the middle and tried to calm down these the heated people.

Since then there have been a lot of gossipping how the red ones would ignore or sabotage the blue ones and one of the latest encounters happened within the last 2 or 3 weeks.

As you have a right as community to get funds for your celebrations our chairman applied and travelled to Cayo several times to claim and get the funds for our village. Each time he had been told he should come again and in the end they refused to give anything to Arenal.

There had always been a dance in the village to celebrate the Independence Day and this time we heard that the UDP area representent for Cayo West had organized a private party for UDP voters (same kind energy that we had shortly before the elections when possible UDP voters all of a sudden received village properties!!!!) and he had sent a pick-up load full of beers to this private party. The chairman did want to follow up on the dance tradition and financed a dance out of his pocket and thus we had our Indepencdence Day dance and the moment the beers at the sabotage event had been drunken the other villageers came to dance and enjoy the free DJ music.

My questions now:
- Do we have a right to get funds as a community? Is there a law in place that oblige the government to pay even to us? Is there any independent organization who could help us to get to know our rights and to fight the ignorance and sabotage of this government agains our vote for a change?

...and last but not least I call any honest soul in this government to think it over: The voting in Arenal is not a result of any crab in our heads - it's a result of things having gone wrong for decades and maybe it's no reason to be mad and punish the voters - maybe it should be a reason to reflect what happened and maybe be angry against yourself, and from the moment you might have reached this state of wisdom it might perhaps be wise - instead of sabotaging - to help to fix or make it better.

Imagine, a murderer will get convicted and from this moment do everything to sabotage the correction faciliy or justice. The sense of "correction facility" (and this is in our all sense) is to "CORRECT" and make a better person out of this convicted soul- not to fight everything! Maybe the UDP is in a kind of correction now and could do better next time, if they just stop this stupid fight and sabotage. Please, maybe it's time to finally help? They have licked their wounds enough time now and now it's time to look into the mirror.

Maybe you should think about the past: Sleeping 4 full years and not doing anything (if I would post photos of the football field the government started 4 years ago you would want to cry!!!!!) then 4 days before elections send 10 truck loads of gravel and throw them on the streets of Arenal; 3 days before the elections send a special police unit to the house of the opposition candidate and search his house (at 4am) and 1 day before elections send some party celebrities to the village and tell the people that the jobs would come within the next 2 weeks - I never saw anything more ridiculous. So - maybe now time to reflect and ask yourselves: What did we do wrong? What was bad? Could it be that it was us to cause the voting? and if you or anyone in the UDP would have the guts and the courrage to get to this point - well, then maybe we could get together and do the best for this poor village and get jobs into Arenal. We would need some appointments in embassies (Canada, Mexico, USA, British) and some personal contact to the European Union: We have a ready-concept to fill our village with jobs - would just need some help - are you men enough?

I
OP Offline
I
I had hoped very much to get a tip who could tell us our rights to yes or no get money for September celebrations by law

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.