The Consejo Village Council wishes to put forth the idea of organizing a Consejo Community based Task Force who’s mission is to simply do what we can collectively, as a community, to achieve lasting improvements to Consejo Road. Therefore, all interested persons are invited to attend a meeting this coming Sunday at 2:00 PM at the Casa Blanca by thee Sea Hotel in Consejo Village .
Given the experience, expertise, various knowledge bases, collective energies and other resources residing within our Community, coming together and organizing ourselves to focus our efforts on Consejo Road has great potential. This is to be a Consejo Community Task Force and not a Consejo Village Council task force. This needs to happen at the level of community.
Here are some discussion points to be thinking about for our 2:00 Sunday meeting at the Casa Blanca Hotel . Pros and cons on all these points and more are to be discussed and our meeting.
- Given the expertise and understanding of a resident civil engineer (Mr. Phil Freetag), what are the necessary steps to get Consejo Road (and keep it) in good condition?
- What would be the value of getting media publicity / coverage on what is being accomplished and NOT ACCOMPLISHED to repair Consejo Road ?
- The idea of forming volunteer teams to take on (1) civil engineering expertise (defining what doing the right things correctly looks like), (2) publicity Team (to get what’s happening and not happening to the media, (3) strategic planning team (to define our strategy and approach), (4) fund raising team.
- Garbage dump relocation team (was there a study that determined the dump’s current location? [We doubt it]), is there a study underway to determine a proper new location for the dump?
- The whole biohazard issue is our big issue because of its negative impact on the environment, wild life and humanity. Do we care what happens with the dump?
- Also, the idea has been put forward to seek international funding to get the road fix.
- The idea of organizing ourselves as a non-government organization.
And yes there is much more we will talk about but this should get the juices flowing for our Sunday meeting.
A task force (TF) is a unit or formation established to work on a single defined task or activity.
A taskforce, or more-commonly task force, is a special committee, usually of experts, formed expressly for the purpose of studying a particular problem [Consejo Road Disaster]. The task force usually performs some sort of an audit [or civil engineering evaluation] to assess the current situation, then draws up a list of all the current problems present and evaluates which ones merit fixing and which ones are actually fixable. The task force would then formulate a set of solutions to the problems and pick the "best" solution to each problem, as determined by some set of standards.
REMEMBER: We should be beneficiaries of a good road which the government should maintain for us. But, the Belize government has well established their level of non-commitment to improving and maintaining the road. Once again, we can do something or, we can do nothing.
Richard J. Zambito, Secretary for Consejo Village Council