Fire in Dangriga destroys a restaurant and Southern Workers Union Office

vlcsnap-2013-10-15-13h36m58s234vlcsnap-2013-10-15-13h37m07s70vlcsnap-2013-10-15-13h37m24s223vlcsnap-2013-10-15-13h37m14s134vlcsnap-2013-10-15-13h37m43s130

A fire in Dangriga, destroyed a building that housed a restaurant as well as the office of the Southern Workers Union. Our Dangriga correspondent Harry Arzu visited the scene of the blaze’s aftermath and filed the following report.

vlcsnap-2013-10-15-13h36m38s22Mr. Harry Arzu- Dangriga Correspondent

"The flames in the building and the dark heavy smoke in the sky alarmed the nearby residents who rushed into the scene of a fire last night.�� At the scene, police had already secured the area, where firefighters, with great efforts, fought to extinguish the fire.�� This bungalow building that you see here, which measure thirty by forty feet, was destroyed by the fire along with its contents, a building housed in a restaurant� and the office of the Southern Worker's Union.�� Sean Sabal reported that he was asleep when the police visited him about 12:00 last night.��

vlcsnap-2013-10-15-13h37m54s28Mr. Sean Sabal:

"I got a wake-up call from the police midnight last night.�� The told me that my building was on fire, nearly came on the scene to assist the damage.�� The fier started in the kitchen area from one of those Chinese hose to�it wasn't properly turned off, and it wasn't attended properly after the building was closed out.�� My total losses I estimate, was about $60,000, I lost all my utensils, the refrigerator, I lost my freezer, I lost all the cutting equipment and stuff like that, and in the dining room where my customers sit, I lost all my furniture and stuff like that�adjoined to the restaurant was the Southern Worker's Union, of who I am the Vice president of and everything was lost, all office equipment was lost also too. So, you know, it's a big loss but I am hoping to rebuild.�� Hopefully, by the edges of November, I should be up and running.�� There was a rapid response from the firefighters from Dangriga.��� I can't say but thanks for the rapid response that they gave to put this fire out.�� It could have been worse because right behind this restaurant was an adjacent building with a family of six and it could have gotten pretty worse but like I said, kudos to the firefighters of Dangriga because they did a splendid job".

PlusTV