Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chris Offline OP
OP Offline
As some of you might know I'm in Thailand on an extended vacation. Reading about the rainy weather and appalling state of the roads on Ambergris Caye has definitely got me thinking I left at the right time.

It really is time for people on Ambergris Caye to insist that we get paved roads all the way north and south of San Pedro Town...and FAST. We're turning into a 4th world destination. Our infrastructure is wafer-thin when it comes to durability.

I've been in Thailand now for 2 months. The Thai people always complain that their government is incredibly corrupt. But, they have paved roads EVERYWHERE. Even the remotest villages have paved access. I've been visiting various fishing lakes in Northern Thailand and have only been off a paved road (ie. on to a dirt road) for about 120 yards.

A paved road is not a luxury infrastructure item. It's the most basic responsibility of government, both local and national, to use some of our tax dollars to provide paved roads. We don't need sewer infrastructure north of the bridge or south of BWS. (The current sewer infrastructure is just a smelly mess anyway). We don't even really urgently need piped water north of the bridge, we've gotten on OK without it so far. But, we DO urgently, URGENTLY need a proper paved road which runs all the way to the north and south ends of the island.

Just reading the concerns about our rainy season road situation on this message board, Facebook and other blogs has me cringing for Ambergris Caye in embarrassment. Is this really what we are offering our tourists and accepting for OURSELVES? I thought rainy days in the Tropics were supposed to be tranquil and fun and thrilling. It turns out our pathetic potholed, puddled and pish-poor roads are just making rainy days miserable for everyone who votes and pays taxes.

When I look at the advanced infrastructure available in Thailand to the Thai people - and its valued tourists - I can't help thinking that when it comes to corruption the Thai government must be rank amateurs. After all, they have had to get the basics done before they start the stealing.

Follow my blog... http://www.fishinthailand.com where I'll also post this message.

I'll be back on the island early next year....I hope to goodness that it has stopped raining by then.

The corrupt officials are not willing to give up their golden eggs for basic needs of the people. The people are not willing to stand up to these politicians for fear they will not get what they need. This "what's in it for me?" thinking goes from top to bottom? Fear is a powerful wheapon that politicians weild openly.

Chris - I would even support 'paved roads' if the government would get cleaned up. SURPRISE? (But no street lights! LOL)

Does anyone have any idea of how/where to start?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
P
P
Let's not forget we have a working (contributing) population of ~100,0000 people. Of that ~85% are below the tax threshold.

So the whole Country runs on GST Import Duty and Hotel Tax.

The Oil situation and amount of Belize money leaving makes me puke a little though.

M
M
Even though i don't live on the island right now, i will be soon. Tourism is a major contributor to the island and i think it's a darn shame that the Belizean Government isn't giving AC their fair share. This is appauling, AC is the "Cash Cow" of this country! You are right, it is an embarrassment!

Chris Offline OP
OP Offline
Phil, we could do much of the roadwork ourselves if property taxes were collected as they should be. Time to link issuance of vehicle permits and trade licences to payment of property taxes.

I repeat, paved roads should not be classified as a luxury item, they're as basic a unit of infrastructure as any government, local or national, is required to provide. I think our town could do much more at the local level to fund road building so that we'd be in a strong position to request funding (if needed) at the national level. Unfortunately as long as the majority of our past due property taxes remain uncollected and yet we cry "We're broke" we'll have a problem. We can't really ask Belmopan for help because Belmopan will just tell us to get our own tax collection in order first.

P
P
We both know Property Taxes will never be collected in full - it is Political suicide. Basic infrastructure development such as a road is a National Government obligation not local. Theirs is upkeep.

As I said before be careful what you wish for. The road outside my house while undoubtedly better for my Golf Cart and more so the Community North of me, it is worse for my neighbours and I quality of life with a huge increase in traffic speed and noise. Before I could walk into town just as easily in mud as on concrete in peace and quiet. Sometimes progress isn't - or has it's drawbacks.

P
P
The answer?............... "Vote for Pedro" when he runs for Mayor next election.

You are so right Phil - the section from the Maya house to the turn towards the sea is now a speedway. There are those who go full throttle just to see how fast they can go.

Why is not collecting taxes a political issue? Why can we not get a list of property that has deliquent taxes? I thought Mayor Danny had made this one of his top priorities?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Chris, It does not surprise me that Thailand has good roads and other quality infastructure since these things are not only complementary to but necessary in support of their world class Medical Tourism Program. Your comments give me pause to wonder how the new Medical Tourism Program, now being touted by the medical community in Belize, will fare in attracting investors and European medics. Even the water supply on SP SUX.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
To pave the road from North to South would cost in the region of $150 million, do you think that property taxes would cover that and what about all the other things that property tax pay for?????????????? frown

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.