Consejo Road Disaster Task Force writes letter of complaint against Mayor Hilberto Campos on bio-hazard threat at the Consejo road Dump site -
This has been a serious problem plaguing the Consejo area for sometime now. Even though private citizens have carried out mitigations on the hazard, the authorities have apparently turned hostile on them.NOTICE OF BREACH OF RESPONSIBILITY OF DUTY
BY MR. CAMPOS, MAYOR FOR COROZAL TOWN
Greetings Ms. Candelaria Saldivar Morter,
It is with our sincerest regret that we are providing your office this letter of NOTICE OF BREACH OF RESPONSIBILITY OF DUTY BY MR. CAMPOS, MAYOR FOR COROZAL TOWN. It is the overwhelming consensus of the members of the recently organized Consejo Road Disaster Task Force, that Mr. Hilberto Campos, Mayor of Corozal Town, is blatantly guilty of flagrantly violating his oath of office.
Mr. Campos' repeated acts of negligence are absolutely unacceptable. He has deliberately disregarded an organized group's initiative of residents of Consejo Community who are being pro-active and have already chosen to freely volunteer to donate money, labour and other necessary resources in an effort to assist local government in bringing about solutions to the current highly toxic Corozal Waste dump site bio hazard.
Mr. Campos has knowingly committed an obvious breach of his responsibility by disregarding his clear duty as a municipal leader; as he has deliberately neglected to act responsibly in a matter vital to progress, due to the people of the Corozal Town and Consejo community.
The Task Force is at the end of at least a three week consecrated effort to set a meeting with Mr. Campos to discuss our clearly stated offering to help him carry out his delegated responsibility to the people of the CorozalTown and Consejo community.
Over the last three weeks numerous efforts have been made to set a meeting with Mr. Campos. The objectives for said meeting have been succinctly described in the attached "Request for Meeting" letter to Mr. Campos. Collective efforts to set a meeting date and time with Mr. Campos are briefly described as follows:
1. Initial efforts by Mr. Richard Zambito, Acting Coordinator for Task Force, made countless phone calls to his Corozal office at 422-2072 over a duration of one business week from 4th November through Friday, 8th of November 2013. Mr. Zambito left numerous messages with a person who identified herself as Miss Vanesa. Outcome: No calls back from Mr. Campos were ever received by either Mr. Ervin Wade, Director, at 423-1021 or Mr. Edilberto Escalante, Chairman, Consejo Village Council at 629-6391 or Mr. Richard Zambito at 423-1021.
2. After repeated failed calls to Mr. Campos' office, Miss Vanesa suggested that Mr. Zambito call Mr. Campos on his cell phone and provided his cell number of 610-0260. Outcome: Mr. Campos never answered Mr. Zambito's calls, and Mr. Zambito never received a single call back from the messages he left for Mr. Campos to the day of the composing of this letter.
3. During the same business week of 4th November through Friday, 8th of November 2013, approximately seven visits were made to Mr. Campos' Corozal office by Mr. Wade, Mr. Escalante and Mr. Zambito individually at different times, attempting to set a meeting time with Mr. Compos. Outcome: Only once was Mr. Zambito able to find Mr. Campos in his office, but Mr. Campos was 'busy' at that time and could not see Mr. Zambito for the five minutes Mr. Zambito was requesting.
4. On 6th November 2013, Mr. Wade instructed Mr. Zambito to write a letter to Mr. Campos so that he would have the advantage, at his leisure, of understanding the nature of the request for a Meeting with the Consejo Road Disaster Task Force.
5. Later in the first week's efforts, Mr. Escalante, dropped a hard copy of Request for Meeting letter at Mr. Campos' Corozal office. Outcome: Neither Mr. Escalante, nor Mr. Wade heard anything back from Mr. Campos or anyone from his office.
6. In the following week, being the second week of efforts to meet with Mr. Campos, running from the 11th of November through the 15th of November, Mr. Ervin Wade, Task Force Director took a hard copy of the Request for Meeting letter to Mr. Campos' home. Mr. Wade was told that Mr. Campos was not home but could be found at a Town Hall meeting. Arriving at the Town Hall Mr. Wade was met by a person identifying himself as a Mr. Arana. Mr. Arana claimed to be a councilor and told Mr. Wade that the meeting was only for the Corozal Town Council. Mr. Wade explained the purpose of Request for Meeting letter emphasizing its importance and that he needed to put it in the hands of Mr. Campos as soon as possible. Mr. Arana stated to Mr. Wade that he understood and would see to it that the letter was taken immediately into the meeting and given to Mr. Campos. Mr. Wade last saw Mr. Arana entering the Town Hall meeting room with the letter in his hand. Outcome: Neither Mr. Escalante, nor Mr. Wade ever heard any thing back from Mr. Campos or anyone from his office.
7. Further to the second week's efforts, Mr. Richard Zambito traveled into Corozal and paid the Post Office to make an Express Mail Delivery across the street to Mr. Campos' office. Outcome: Neither Mr. Escalante, nor Mr. Wade heard anything back from Mr. Campos or anyone from his office.
Mr. Campos has had more than ample time and good weather over the past two months to make even the smallest effort to address the bio hazard condition of the Corozal waste dump site which is no longer being maintained by anyone; and when a small group of concerned people got together to pitch in and help, Mr. Campos made it his business to not be available or even delegate a staff member to return a single call.
Therefore, the Consejo Road Disaster Task Force is now forced to take action to expose and publicize nationally Mr. Campos' inexcusable acts of irresponsible stewardship. Mr. Campos has clearly and deliberately breached his sworn oath of office.
Therefore, on behalf of those peoples of the Corozal Town and Consejo Communities who have been, and are being adversely effected by the deliberate disregard to act responsibly in all matters which are a threat to public health, environmental health, rural development and common decency to his fellow man, this notice is a demand for immediate corrective action necessary to remedy the herein cited clear, deliberate and repeated breach of the oath of office by Mr. Campos as Mayor of Corozal Town.
Mr. Ervin Wade, Director Mr. Edilberto Escalante
Consejo Road Disaster Task Force Consejo Village
Corozal District, Belize Corozal District, Belize