Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#47797 01/27/02 01:52 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Coming to AC mid March with two older teens and staying at The Palms. Would like recomendation for good dive operator. Also need recomendation on what rainforest daytrip (and operator) might appeal to active family. Thanks!

#47798 01/27/02 03:40 PM
T
T
I personally would not go with Aqua Dives. That's just my opinion. Their guides were not very friendldy or professional. Also, they broke one of their rotors on their motor going through the reef opening, the engine died, and we had to take everyone from that boat onto our boat. We were delayed about two hours. Of course, accidents happen, but I just didn't get a good "vibe" from them. When diving, you need EXTRA professionalism, because there is a risk involved. Check out the guide book "The Rough Guide to Belize" by Peter Eltringham. An excellent book, and he gives good recommmendations for this type of thing. Have fun...you'll have a blast!

[This message has been edited by trina (edited 01-28-2002).]

#47799 01/27/02 10:11 PM
I know nothing about dive operations.

I do know Enrique at Aqua Dive is my special snorkeling guide, he watches me like a baby.
Always asking are you ok Mo'om, which tickled my smart butt grandkids, they said is he going to change your Depends for you too......NOT.........LOL
He was great with my grandkids snorkeling, he noted their ability in the water, and took his time, to show them all the sites, including free diving thru an arch/cave. They will never forget that free dive, neither will I forget the excited big faced smile, when they surfaced.....Kodak moment.

Seems everyone that owns a boat on Ambergris will sooner or later hit a coral head, and do some damage, just MHO.

Dare To Deviate
#47800 01/28/02 08:37 AM
B
B
I would check out Bottom Time Dive Shop. We dove with both Rudy and Chocolate. Both are excellent guides, very friendly and go out of their way to make your time enjoyable!

#47801 01/28/02 12:25 PM
J
J
I highly reaommend Barefoot Watersports/diving. I went with them and was very happy. They have their own boats which are the biggest on the island.

When I first go out, I am a nervous diver, and they helped make me feel as ease. Carlos watched me very carefully and helped me feel more at ease. The dive briefings are very thorough, there was always 2 dive guides on every dive. They did not "speed dive", it was very relaxing. Check them out. We went by their shop the first day, and they took us on a tour of the boats and explained everything. They even arranged the rainforest tours for us. We did the cave tubing and Lanami. Both were great.

To get to their shop, just go to the beach, turn right...it was about a 10 minute walk down the beach.

I also stayed at The Palms. It was also very nice!

JoAnn

#47802 01/28/02 03:36 PM
D
D
I would reccomend Barefoot Watersports as well!!

#47803 01/29/02 06:30 PM
M
M
I would recommend Amigos Del Mar. Their staff are friendly and safety conscious. If you like refer to the Recent Reader rater Edition of Rodales' Scuba diving Magazine and Amigos is listed as one of the better operators in the Western Caribbean.

#47804 01/29/02 10:40 PM
I think it depends on your skill level and what type of diving you expect. Amigos Del Mar is good, but is usually a full boat of fairly new divers. If that's what you want - good.
Hustler's dock is right in your front yard. Billy is one of the best dive masters on the island. They have a number of boats and programs.
My personal favorite is Ched Cabral. He is an independent dive master and will take as few as 3 people and give you a very personal experience. I have his e-mail address at work. Or you can contact him through Belize Underwater Video. Speaking of which, I highly recommend that you have Anta go on a dive with you and buy the video. Your kids will love showing it to all their friends when they get home.
Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#47805 01/30/02 12:26 AM
KC Offline
Harriette...
Speaking of which... My husband will be doing his first dive (after cert. in Oregon muddy lakes) in Belize in March, and I'd like to have the underwater video guys go along for some pics. Can you give me an e-mail address?
Thanks,
Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#47806 01/31/02 07:13 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks to everyone for your input! Especially liked the video recommendation. 5 weeks and counting!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 217 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.