Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The San Pedro Sun is currently investigating allegations of "unnecessary force" between Senior Staff Reporter Jorge Aldana and Belize Coast Guard officers. Belize Coast Guard Lt. Commander Elton Bennett and San Pedro Police Officer in Charge Luis Castellanos have fully cooperated with The Sun during this investigation.

On Saturday November 16th, shortly after midday, Senior Reporter Aldana was detailed to cover an apparent shooting incident involving civilians and members of the Belize Coast Guard. Aldana located and followed a San Pedro police truck making its way from the Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro PolyClinic II to a lagoon location where a Coast Guard vessel was docked. According to Aldana, he followed the police truck that had three armed Coast Guard Officers in blue uniform and one police officer in plain clothes riding in the pan. The truck was transporting two men seated inside. They were bleeding and appeared to have head injuries. While Aldana followed directly behind the truck he snapped several photos of the individuals who were in the pan of the truck until they reached the end of Jewfish Street. Aldana claims that he stopped approximately 300 feet from where the police vehicle stopped.

"I was then approached by four Coast Guard officials while the others watched from a distance, making a formation that blocked my free passage from any angle. Three of the Coast Guards pointed their rifles at me and one approached me and asked what I wasdoing. I identified myself as a senior reporter with The San Pedro Sun Newspaper. I was then told to put my hands over my head. I asked what was the problem and he said, "Just comply." I put my hands on my head; he removed my phones (two phones)from my front pocket and my wallet from my back pocket. He removed the chip from my DigiCell phone, put it into his phone and then returned it to my phone. He also erased all of the contacts from my SMART phone. They then asked me to lay down on the ground, and put my hands on the back of my head, face down," recounts Aldana. "One Coast Guard put the end of his rifle to the back of my head. He said, "Don't do nothing stupid or I will shoot your 'r*ss'." While on the ground another Coast Guard officer went through my carrier bag which was on the seat of my golf cart, removing everything. While he was trying to figure out how to delete the photos on my camera I turned my head to look at what he was doing and the Coast Guard holding the gun to my head used the point of the rifle to push my face away from observing what was happening and said, 'What dif#%k yu di look pan�look di f#%k straight.' I complied with his orders.All the while the other two officers held their guns pointing at me while I was on the ground. After getting the chip out of my camera and dismantling my digital voice recorder and discarding all of my belongings onto the ground he told me, 'Get the f#%k out before we shoot you.' I just threw everything into my bag and immediately left the scene," detailed Aldana.

Mr. Aldana claims this was done in plain view of residents who came out to see what was happening. In addition, three members from the San Pedro Police Formation were present, even stating to the Coast Guards that indeed Aldana worked for the newspaper. After the incident Aldana immediately informed The San Pedro Sun Editor, Tamara Sniffin, Officer in Charge of San Pedro Police Luis Castellanos and Belize Coast Guard Operations Officer Soberanis about the incident. Approximately one hour later, Aldana received a call from the police station that he could come and collect the memory card from his camera; everything was deleted from the card.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Coast Guard needs some intensive training.
CG also made a major mess of things recently when a visiting head of state tried to go to Hol Chan.
Responsibility for training lies at the top of the chain of command. Time to shake it up.

S
S
This is really scary that a reporter would be brutalized in this way by public servants! 2 guns to his head? On the ground with his hands behind his back? Not sure I could recover from this kind of trauma.

Such an abuse of power and so unnecessary!

i could not agree with diane more. this is clearly a training issue. there are very few people in the world that are natural born leaders. Leadership is taught, and very early in the training you learn that being a leader (authority figure) usually does not work with force. If you want respect, it does not come with a gun to the head. Fear comes with a gun to the head, but not mistake as the media/entertainment imply/state.

MAJOR kudo's to Jorge for taking this stance. It's a very scary position to be in and i wonder how many readers have the same courage. Bravo, jorge, bravo!

and also mad props to the SPSun. They often take a strong journalistic position and dont shy away.

Training can make someone a good supervisor but leadership is not something that in and of itself is teachable.

Captain One Iron
W
W
This is the first time I have posted here but I have been following the posts for years.

It would be nice to hear both sides of this story. I have often seen posts on here which immediately lay blame on either the police or military/coast guard. I have only had one experience with a reporter from The San Pedro Sun and that was positive so I trust his accounts of the interaction. I have had limited interaction with police in Belize and those interactions were also positive. I would like to believe that there was something that triggered this reaction by the Coast Guard members in this incident. I ask that the the members of this board allow an investigation to be conducted before blame is laid.

You have been following for 'years' but your registration was this month?

Captain One Iron
W
W
Yes it was just this month. Is there a reason I cannot follow a message board without registering? I didn't see that in the rules. Of course I also didn't look for it in the rules.

P
P
It is also important to remember that these drug dudes would not hesitate to go after the families of the coasties if they knew where to find them. It is not ok to brutalize the reporter but I can also see the other side where more training is needed, maybe on both sides. The Belize CG is fairly new and have some issues to work out but I am really glad they have been formed and that they take the job seriously.

Well said........

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 303 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.