Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
NewLife Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi Everyone,

I am moving to Ambergris on New Year.
I will enter to the country as a tourist. So no QRP or something.
The question is, i`d like to bring; my personal computer, laptop and iPad. Are they going to give me hard time on the customs?
PS: They are all used.
Many Thanks

You will have no problem whatsoever.......new or used. That is not saying that some ambitious customs officer won't try. We had some friends that brought a bunch of snacks and the customs officer wanted to charge them duty. They basically told him to [#%!] up a rope and he backed off.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
The other thing to keep in mind is how will you protect them once you are here. These items are the number one choice of thieves on the island as they are easy to sell.

Make sure they all have password screen protectors more than the basic four digit code. Set up at least a six digit number on your iPad which can be done in settings.

You should definitely engrave your name and some other number you are comfortable displaying on the devices. So if by some miracle they are recovered it will be easier to prove they are yours.

Get a good engraver, you will want to do this with anything of value.

Never never never leave them out in your home, even if you are there. Break ins are so common and frequent the police are unable to assist. The thefts are usually inside jobs initiated by people who have been watching your comings and goings.

Unfortunately I speak from experience.

Well, you may be right but this person seems to be violating the law by stating he is a tourist when he intends to move permanently to the island so I think whatever he does is going to be problematic.

Captain One Iron
P
P
Doesn't everyone arrive on a Tourist Visa extending the visa each month prior to Residency and then Citizenship?

I think Computers are Duty free too. So if you were charged on their value it would be just GST and Environmental tax at around 14% total

Agree Phil. Under a tourist visa you can bring in personal property for an extended stay while qualifying for residency and citizenship if that is the plan. The QRP program may have other requirements/provisions.

N
NewLife Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Dear CapOneIron,
Believe me i would enter to the country if they have Green Card Lottery, Business or Extraordinary Person visa or something we have in the States. So only tourist visa cover me as Phil and iluvbelize wrote. I asked the question not to learn smuggling. Just need to know my rights.
Thanks for all the tips.

I wasn't casting stones just making a comment. What about just asking the right questions of the authorities?

Captain One Iron
S
S
Phil is right on all points. God forbid doing the same into the US without a cavity search. I've been detained for hours by US immigration while travelling with a Belizean that had a recently renewed visa to the point where we had to kill ourselves running to make our connection to Chicago to go see the Cubs (only a San Pedrano would know).

C
C
Customs/immigration at the airport has a log book. If you have any problems tell them to log your electronics as you will be coming and going with them. This used to be very useful when I had to take up printers and laptops for replacement or repairs. Anymore everyone travels with these things and they are personal items. I still log everything as a safeguard.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 359 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.