Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SEYENT Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It is my intention as a 62 year old man on social security plus to move to AC and do what I enjoy doing. That is to buy local housing and upgrade them for rentals or resale. Of course I will enjoy the climate and the AC ambience as well. Please offer commentaries on the feasibility of my retirement plans ? John

B
B
Try under the Living IN Belize category. IMAHO one has to make his money before he moves there. If a person does something a BZE national could do the Gov't seems to make it hard.

I would suggest coming to Belize and spending some time here, before diving right in. If you would like to email me my email is [email protected] I would be happy to relate some interesting experiences I've had, but I wont post them on a public web board.
--Silk
www.caribbean-colors.com

Seyent....you've not been there before????? C

S
S
If you are planning to buy property, build or modify and resell for speculation, then you are not talking about "local" houses but rather, properties intended for sale to expats.
Property in Belize is very very expensive, especially on Ambergris Caye and building costs a(to hurricane standards) are very high. Unless you have a few hundred thousand dollars that you can afford to risk (and I do mean RISK, that means you can afford to lose it) you should forget about coming to Belize on any basis other than as a retiree.

Belize does have an attractive retiree program, but unless you have a lot more going for you than your social security check, you can forget about Ambergris Caye, because you cannot live on a social security check on Ambergris Caye.

You may want to consider checking out the Corozal area, it is the most affordable part of Belize for someone who is on a moderate fixed income.

If you are a builder and want to build spec homes, you can probably find some reasonably priced lots in that part of Belize that you could build on and re sell for a modest profit. You might want to check out www.consejoshores.com

The only people who seem to be able to engage in no-risk "investing" are high ranking government officials and their "friends." That ain't you, so forget it.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
S
SEYENT Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you for your response. It is a mystery why realtors and most people do not comment on local housing to improve. All want to tell and sell their showplaces.

S
S
Dear Seyent: I was trying to be tactful but I guess it didn't work.
Reality check time: Local working people are not going to hire you to "improve" their house. They can't afford it, they will "improve" their homes to the best of their ability themselves when they can, and if they can't they will hire their cousin or some local professional to do it at local rates, not a gringo who can't get a work permit anyway. And they surely won't sell you their home to re-sell to some gringo at a profit, because then they won't have any place to live!
There is enough real estate speculation going on on Ambergris Caye. If gringos want to buy and sell resort properties to each other, bidding up the price each time, that's fine. But don't try to spec the working Belizeans of Ambergris Caye out of their families' homes. It won't work (thank goodness...)

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
S
SEYENT Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am extremely appreciative of the response I received so far, particularly the frankness of SUSANGG. Now my question is: On Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker, what is the going price for just a simple one story cement block house? Of course with water, sewer/septic and electric already in and preferably not in a flood zone area.

S
S
Hey Silkpainter... Went to your website and love your work!!

Scott

M
M

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 283 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.