Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47955 01/30/02 10:25 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Just wondering if anyone could advise on how we should go about exchanging our Canadian $? Is it better to change to US, or is there somewhere in San Pedro that we can just directly exchange our Canadian money?

Also, is it better to use credit cards, travellers cheques, cash, or does it matter? Any help would really help out us first-timers, thanks.

#47956 01/30/02 11:05 PM
The only place that you wil be able to exchange Canadian dollars, will be at a bank. Most businesses only take U.S. or Belize currency. I've talked with a few Canadians that have brought Canadian dollars and they felt it was a hassle to only be able to exchange at the bank, and they felt the bank wasn't giving them a fair exchange on the Canadian dollar.
--Silk
http://www.caribbean-colors.com

#47957 01/31/02 01:39 AM
Speaking as one of those Canadians, I found taking Canadian travellers cheques a huge hassle. It was just easier to change my Canadian dough into American traveller's cheques at home and take those with me.

I just got my credit card bill and the few things that I charged were converted at around $.82 Canadian to $1.00 BZ. Oddly enough, even though all of the charges were booked on the same day, the rate was slightly different for each charge. Since the U.S. conversion has been running at approx $1.61 Cdn and BZ dollar is 2 to 1 for US, this seems like the right exchange amount doesn't it? [Linked Image]

Some places charge a service fee for using the credit card. And I just prefer to use money, I don't lose track of what I'm spending. Everybody's happy to receive money and unless you've had too many cocktails, the chances of being incorrectly charged are reduced as well.

[This message has been edited by seashell (edited 01-30-2002).]

[This message has been edited by seashell (edited 01-31-2002).]

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#47958 01/31/02 08:26 AM
R
R
I believe I would change the Canadian to US before you leave. You can probably get a fair rate of exchange before you leave home and BZ loves US$$$$$. Take a look at Lan's posting on currency. US$$$ spends as well as BZ$$ and while you won't get the current blackmarket exchange rate, you will spend the American and get back BZ in change...at the two for one rate.

Ray
#47959 02/02/02 08:22 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks to all for the info. We will take U.S.$$ for our trip, we kind of figured that we'd have to do that, but thought we'd ask some experienced people to find out for sure.

4 more weeks!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.