12/28/13 03:54 PM
12/28/13 03:54 PM
Caye Caulker
C
Chris7 Offline
Chris7  Offline
C
" I donít know what are the issues because I havenít been to Caye Caulker."
No shit...maybe that's part of the problem, whaddaya think, Manny?! We could have elected the tooth fairy or easter bunny for our representative and gotten more sightings than with Mr. Heredia. HEAR HEAR also to the comment on how a tourism minister can support dredging. When we all live off snorkeling, diving or fishing, directly or indirectly. And yes we need sand on CC and so some dredging has to take place. Compromise. But nobody can seriously suggest it's not damaging to the seagrass beds and reef - thereby not only damagaing our livelihoods (=sea life), but also removing invaluable erosion barriers. So, to damage CC's environment to supply SP's development needs seems pretty crazy...

Re: Caye Caulker streets to be repaired says area rep [Re: Chris7] #481003
12/28/13 05:32 PM
12/28/13 05:32 PM
Beautiful San Marcos, Texas
E
Ernie B Offline
Ernie B  Offline
E
Heredia is a .... well , politician = crook

Gun Control is Hitting Your Target.
Re: Caye Caulker streets to be repaired says area rep [Re: Marty] #481010
12/28/13 06:17 PM
12/28/13 06:17 PM
Caye Caulker
C
Cooper Offline
Cooper  Offline
C
Hear, Hear, and dont forget what dredging does to the lobster population.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Re: Caye Caulker streets to be repaired says area rep [Re: Marty] #481124
12/29/13 05:44 PM
12/29/13 05:44 PM
varies
N
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline
N
Sorry Mike but did you read your offered report? Nothing there about seagrasses. If turbidity was a problem to seagrass there wouldn't be none. Your report addresses the very unfortunate situation when unregulated assholes dredge near enough to coral to allow deposition there on. Certainly not the case in this discussion.
No Ernie I'm not a dredger but would not feel any less "green" if I were.
Twenty years may well be right Dane, I only know from historic satellite imagery hereabouts that suggests around 8 to 10 years (after hurricanes) but correct me if I'm wrong. Turtle grass is of course very important to the ecosystem. As humans we normally accept a little net loss as the cost of being us. Perhaps we should all tear our houses down.

Re: Caye Caulker streets to be repaired says area rep [Re: Marty] #481125
12/29/13 06:07 PM
12/29/13 06:07 PM
varies
N
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline
N
What am I not supposed to forget about lobster and dredging Debbie?

Re: Caye Caulker streets to be repaired says area rep [Re: Marty] #481135
12/30/13 01:50 AM
12/30/13 01:50 AM
Caye Caulker
D
Dane Offline
Dane  Offline
D
The spots we dredged look better after 8 to ten years. I supposed from a Google space image they would look even better.
Hurricanes make a complex change that often benefits the reef and grass by scattering nutrients.

Re: Caye Caulker streets to be repaired says area rep [Re: Nate] #481223
12/30/13 05:47 PM
12/30/13 05:47 PM
Massachusetts USA
M
MikeD Offline
MikeD  Offline
M
Nate you clearly do not understand the interdependency of life in the sea. Dredging causes excessive turbidity which by the report can have long term effects that may or may not be recoverable. One significant effect in the report is decreased photosynthesis...how do you think seagrasses survive? Seagrass beds harbor life that feeds other life that feed the reef.

One fact is for sure...if the reef environment dies, so does tourism in Belize. Without that there will be no need for the beaches, ports, roads and other infrastructure being created by dredging. Nature can heal itself but when man disrupts the cycle the results can be devastating and irreversible.

A mountain of sand the size removed by the dredging clearly caused significant disturbance in the sea, the consequences of which have not been fully realized yet. STOP THE MADNESS.

Re: Caye Caulker streets to be repaired says area rep [Re: MikeD] #481225
12/30/13 06:10 PM
12/30/13 06:10 PM
Beautiful San Marcos, Texas
E
Ernie B Offline
Ernie B  Offline
E
I Like Mike D !

Gun Control is Hitting Your Target.
Re: Caye Caulker streets to be repaired says area rep [Re: Marty] #481237
12/31/13 02:43 AM
12/31/13 02:43 AM
Caye Caulker
D
Dane Offline
Dane  Offline
D
Mike knows what he is talking about.

Re: Caye Caulker streets to be repaired says area rep [Re: Marty] #481305
12/31/13 01:21 PM
12/31/13 01:21 PM
varies
N
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline
N
Gee Mike now your making this personal. I've said my peace. I'm sure I've pointed out to cooler heads here not to to take knee jerk statements about how dredging is killing the reef at face value. There is far more turbidity caused near the island by natural causes than any dredging (hand or power) could come close to. Check the beach on a windy day, particularly back side in a norther. Turbidity affecting coral is a non issue in this case. If you can refute that call the authorities.
The only case for dredging nearby being detrimental to the ecosystem would be in the actual seabed dredged. As I've said this is minor, renewable and if done wisely could have certain positives. Fisherman speak anecdotally of increased catches at dredge sites. The split could be made navigable to deeper draft vessels. Hell we could have a marina for deep draft visiting cruisers. I never hear your complaints with the far larger dredging frontside for beach renewal.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
February
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 425 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics70,628
Posts479,111
Members19,597
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day