Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48181 02/06/02 12:01 PM
L
lvlegal Offline OP
OP Offline
L
My husband and I are planning a trip to the Victoria House in early December 2002? The casitas are booked - so we will be staying in a Plantation Room. We are hoping to hear from people who stayed at Victoria House to tell us all about the place (rooms, food, activities, privacy, beaches, bugs, etc.)

We look forward to hearing from you!!

M
M
IvLegal --

We stayed for two weeks at Victoria House last year (after the hurricane cleanup). We were not in a cabana but in the house itself. We had a suite with a bedroom and a sitting room. It was directly over the office.

It was quiet and lovely and seemed very private even though in the main house. I don't know whether it was a "plantation room" (it looks out from the second floor over the pool and to the sea).

Bugs were not a problem at all (same time of year as this). but, of course if the wind goes down to nothing or is light westerly (rare), the no-see-ums can be a problem.

We didn't use the beach there, bu it looked nice from the pool deck.

Food is quite decent, but there are better places to eat, and we often went out for dinner. We usually had good brunches there.

The bar down by the beach with it's covered porch was pleasant place to sit and read or (as we did) play Go. Drinks right at hand, and food brought from the main house if you want it.

All in all, it was a very nice experience and we would do it again if we hadn't already built something just north of the cut.

During the 1999-2000 crossover we were on AC and visited Victoria House although we didn't stay there. In that Decmber-January period again, no bug issues. I think the food is beter now than it was in 2000.

Mike Ryan

B
B
IMAHO The Vic is terrifc. Old World Charm but not stuffy. Expensive, of course, but worth it. About 1/2 mile north is the Caribe Island resort. Fun happy hours and the best volleyball games on the beach--I'm jealous!

J
J
At the risk of offending many V.H. supporters, let me add my impressions after a recent visit. We stayed in a Casita which was, in itself, adequate. The thatched ceiling is high which made the small air conditioner inadquate. The ocean breeze made the rooms cool at night but blew the mosquito netting around making it worthless. The casitas are too close and they each have a screen door that slams shut, so that when neighbors come and go, you hear them. The gardening staff was outside the casitas every morning at 0700 raking and making noise, making sleeping in impossible.
The beach is nice, but like all of them on the island it's muddy and you'll get stuck if you walk into the water. Nice pier, swimming area at end.
Part of the reason we decided to stay was because of the renowned service, which we were not impressed with. The bar was generally empty, but every time we went in to order a drink, the bartenders acted as if we were disturbing them. If you like drinks by the pool, be prepared to get out and get them yourself, there is no poolside service. Speaking of the pool; it's cold. The food is good, but there are many better places in town. Avoid the breakfasts. They are greasy and each item tastes vaguely of fish. Lastly, if you are at all interested in staying up later, and meeting up with friends to party with, this is not a good place for it. Most of the clentele during our stay were in their 70's. It is a beautiful property, no doubt, but not worth the price of staying there, in my opinion. Next time we come down we will stay at Ramons or Banyan Bay.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 359 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.