Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
Very impressive Chica Blanca and it's very scary too but don't worry: Nobody cares!!!! It's us - the "Westerners" in the first place - who destroy this planet and (just as an example): the US is NO 1 in pollutiong with gasoline because the cheap fuel is part of the thought of "liberty or freedom"!

Europeans call themselves "nature protectors" but it goes only to their own door of their own house and they're all pointing out with their fingers to others and do not care at all. In Mid-Europe they have the BMW or a SUV in the garage, the Toyota in front of the door and a sticker on the post box "please no promotional mail!" and already feel like a nature protector: It's like a bad reality show where all keep their official status as nature protectors and nobody really cares!

We ride our huge SUVs and move these trucks for every little distance no matter how short, request a plastic bag in the super market and get everything in plastic bottles and the only moment it looks inconvenient is the moment when the garbage reach our own area - then it's declared as "disgusting".

In the Western world we produce very much more of this crab and we make sure it get out of our eyes immedaitely - we burry in the ground or move to a remote place and out of sight means our of mind and then we're happy again.

Why's no gringo investing in plastic recycling, re-use of glass or any other environmental friendly practice? Why don't we have more solar panels on our roofs but continue to pollute this planet day by day and we feel only disturbed when the plastic bottles reach our lonely paradise beaches? Why are we not offended about our own convenient way to mis-treat this planet?

Again another beautiful day in paradise - just smile and be happy :-)
D
D
AMEN!!!! I've been down here for 3 years and I've seen many beaches around the world but have I never seen one with so many trash. So the last time I made a trip over to Belize I took a cab and purchased some garbage bag at Plastic Packaging...LOVE

Expert
There is a company here in Belize that has been around for a long time that sells eco bags, plates, spoons and containers. We use them at the roadKill. I know the blue water grill uses them. I know ther are more.

http://www.sanpedrosun.com/old/07-494.html

"But WHY's the rum gone?

www.wadethegringo.com
A
OP Offline
A
The area up north about ten miles is so bad it would take a front end loader and many, many barges to clean up the mess. Way to bad for a clean up crew with trash bags. The areas in front of the resorts is kept clean it's the areas in between. Sickening.

I buy the trash bags that will decompose at Richie's Supermarket. They also sell the serving containers.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
ScubaLdy #482474 01/10/14 06:15 AM
S
S
well, very nice that some took a "FIRST STEP" - my employer too - but once again the question:

Why are so few solar panels on our roofs?

Why do so very few restaurants and resorts work with solar and wind power?

Why is it so very much more important to have great food, nice steaks and a great life style but we always declare solar energy as "too expensive" even if that is not true?

With Belize electricity prices it would pay for itself within a short time to invest into solar energy

Why are there no recycle companies established? In Panama all the businesses created a way to recycle and cans, bottles and plastic are carried to a facility to produce new bottles and offer recycled paper (yes, with a bit of a grey shade but theat should not disturb at all!).

Why do we not have a public transportation on Ambergris Caye? Maybe with some butane or even electrical vans, riding from South Ambergris to the bridge or even to Palapa bar or further in a fixed schedule?

I can tell you why: Because nobody cares unless the garbage is in front of the own paradise on the beach! ..... and that's the only reason!

Sunny Reef #482591 01/11/14 06:11 AM
Have you ever attempted anything on the island that is evenly remotely high tech? Or tried to keep anything from the corrosion in the air and water? Ever tried to get something as simple as a wheel bearing? I love the island and it is a wonderful place but between the punishing import duties, the skills or lack thereof the local experts, and the relentless hassle you would have with the BEL you would be completely out of your mind to try and make a truly solar powered home here. Don't forget the batteries that will corrode, the panels exposed to the air and wind, the animals that will eat the covering off the wires. It is not as simple as you think or at least it would not be for me. I have learned these lessons the hard way. The island is a wonderful place and full of a lot of interesting and fine people but better stick to a palapa roof and rice and beans for happiness.

Captain One Iron
C
C
Well, Martin, I guess we are completely out of our minds. We have a 100% solar powered two family house. The system was installed in early 2006 and we have not had a single problem and have never connected to BEL. Our neighbors with only BEL experience power outages frequently and we are never in the dark. There are many solar powered houses up on the true north part of the island.

S
S
Originally Posted by CaptOneIron
Have you ever attempted anything on the island that is evenly remotely high tech? Or tried to keep anything from the corrosion in the air and water? Ever tried to get something as simple as a wheel bearing? I love the island and it is a wonderful place but between the punishing import duties, the skills or lack thereof the local experts, and the relentless hassle you would have with the BEL you would be completely out of your mind to try and make a truly solar powered home here. Don't forget the batteries that will corrode, the panels exposed to the air and wind, the animals that will eat the covering off the wires. It is not as simple as you think or at least it would not be for me. I have learned these lessons the hard way. The island is a wonderful place and full of a lot of interesting and fine people but better stick to a palapa roof and rice and beans for happiness.

Well sorry, but that's nothing but excuses (see Casa Pokey Jan's answer) and in December 2003 Salamander Hideaway opened it's doors 13 Miles North of San Pedro with solar and wind power and they had just 42 solar panels and a small wind generator (I think it was 3.5kw peak), something like 8 or 10 batteries and a back-up diesel generator (that during high season ran just 1 hour a day). They had 8 cabanas, a restaurant, office, ceiling fans and a responsible way of lightning and everything worked out well - no problems - batteries maintained well on a daily base, all electrical lines in tubes and power pretty much for free - it's nothing but excuses and I hear this over and over again and it's simply not true and the reason is (I repeat again): People simply do not care unless garbage show up in front of the door.

If there would be any serious and honest request on the island a company would have been founded long ago, applied and granted for 10 years duty free import, would import solar panels and wind generators and it would be at very reasonable prices. Handyman Eddy Hallyday is very good in maintaining solar and wind facilities and Eddie would even come to your place in the late evening - but not a lot of people request his services as it's more convenient to enjoy the great offers of Wine de Vine or Blue Water Grill, and get some flat screens into the country via one of the shipping companies!

....and the consequences will be more destruction like hurricane Sandy, Kathrina or Richard in Belize and then all will be crying for help again instead of looking into the mirror and look for the real reasons. We get what we create and part of it is on our beaches.

So be happy while looking at it as it's the results of what we do - all of us!

Well, good luck to you. I was talking about my experience and if you are happy then good for you. You can drop that on the 'true North' of the island as my guess is you are not anywhere near the North end of the island. I am not looking to pick a fight and if you and the other tree huggers are so up on this why don't you start a company specializing in this. My five televisions, four a/c units (two central), two televisions, etc. would use too much in my opinion to be supported by only Solar. I understand you can't sell the electricity back to BEL so you must have a huge bank of batteries (how many do you have and how long have they lasted?)

Captain One Iron
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.