Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
OP Offline
E
Hey everybody!
My SO and I have been considering the move to Belize for about a year now, and have finally decided that it's time! Early to late spring is our goal.
A little about us:
We are a younger couple with a good enough income. We own an internet business based in US so working in Belize will not be an issue. We have 1 large dog who will be coming with us. My boyfriend lived on AC a couple years ago, and we visited the island together last year on vacation and I completely fell in love with it.
The only concerns I have are finding a place to live, and getting our dog into the country. As far as I've read, you only have to have the proper paperwork provided by the airport, filled out by your vet, but the webpage I read was quite old.

My first question is: Is there any type of quarantine required for dogs brought onto the island?

My second question is: What is the best way to go about finding a place to rent? We've looked on any website we could find, and emailed rental property owners and haven't gotten great responses. Maybe the info on the websites are out of date or there just aren't that many rentals listed online? Is it just something where you have to come down and stay in a hotel until you find a place? (Okay that was more like 4 questions)

We're hoping to find a large 1 bed. or 2 bed. dog friendly place, not too close and not too far from town. If anyone hears of anything, please give me a shout! We're very serious about moving soon, and would love to find our place.

R
R
Here is what you will need to get your dog in:

1. a current rabies vaccination more than 30 days old.

2. a health certificate issued within 10 days of flying in. You do not need an international certificate. Just an ordinary one from a legitimate veterinarian.

3. an import permit or a pet passport which can be arranged by email from Jerlyn Tucker or others at BAHA. (just google BAHA) You can pay for this document when you arrive at the airport and the dog is inspected by a BAHA agent. No appointment or anything like that, they are at the airport 7 days a week when flights are arriving. No overtime but there is a fee. I think it is 25bz for the inspection but I can't remember. The import permit also has a fee. If the dog flies in as cargo you will have to pay customs on the waybill air freight charge. No quarantine.

If you need further info pm me and I'll walk you through it. I've done it every year at least once for the last 5.

As far as LT rentals, you need to talk to a Realtor or ask around town. I know of one young couple (with a dog) that managed to get a LT rental near me to start their new life. I didn't ask what it costs and I suspect prices vary greatly depending on what you need and can afford. I don't think you will have great difficulties.

Good luck

Last edited by ragman; 01/24/14 03:15 PM. Reason: clarification of fees

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
E
OP Offline
E
Thank you, that's consistent with the info. we got. I'm glad there's no quarantine, I don't know if I could go through with that! We will probably just have to find a pet friendly short term rental and look for a place when we get there.

R
R
You said you where coming in the spring so I would think that would not be a problem. Snowbirds who rent will be headed north. Snowbirds who own, maybe looking for a summer rental.

Again good luck.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks! If anyone hears of anything on the East side, not too close/ not to far from town, please give me a shout. I am snowed in my house today- so will be by my computer. Can't wait to get out of here!

E
OP Offline
E
Just bumping this to see if anyone knows of any available places smile

N
N
I don't know of any places to rent on AC but my tip about bringing pets in to the country is that it's hard to do the whole thing by email (especially initial contact). It's worth the investment of an international phone call to ring up BAHA and talk to Melody about the process. She'll walk you right through it.

Also, their process is to forward your documents to the BAHA office at the airport which is fine but make sure she faxes or emails a copy to you also because they don't always make it to the airport office and it will be a pain in the neck and extra money to arrive and have no permit. Bring triplicate copies of everything (the BAHA permit, the health certificate and the vaccine record) because sometimes the airlines also want a copy.

Also, the BAHA office at the airport closes at 3PM so make sure the flight you schedule arrives in time to catch them.

Make friends with Melody. She's the ticket.

And good luck!

Y
Y
Check your priv messages

C
C
The features of rentals on this island vary dramatically, as do prices. Some are luxurious by North American standards. Some have outdoor toilets and rooms in which to bathe with a bucket. Many have only cool running water. Most have electricity. Some have intact window screens. Some have many appliances, some none. Some are more secure from intruders. Some are noisy. Some are barely bigger than a bed; some huge. For me, it's been helpful to think about what features I really value now.

Email & websites are not how most folks I know here get information. People like to talk with each other. Most people I know ask around, face to face, to find a new home. I rented a golf cart for one day, and my friends used it to find where I'm living now and to move me in. Then we circled for fun.

There are some less expensive hotels, like Ruby's & Pedro's (hotel & hostel). I don't know who takes dogs.

Good luck!

E
OP Offline
E
Well we haven't had much luck. It looked like we were going to be at Seascape Villas, but the person we were talking to actually had no affiliation with the place. Don't know if she was trying to scam us or what, but she was the person who responded to my email directly to their site.
We almost had the chance to get the place next to Capt. Morgans- 3rd floor penthouse was available, but the manager had an appointment to show it today, and it looks like the family is going to take it. We offered to put a deposit down, but since he had the appointment with them, he wanted to keep it.
We are out of our lease at our current house at the end of April, and are really scrambling to find a place. If anyone hears of anything available in the co co beach, captain morgan area beach side, please let me know! We haven't had a lot of luck so far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.