The Port Authority is now investigating the boat accident in the Crooked Tree Lagoon that caused 20 year old Ben Gentle Jr's death. The Coast Guard has handed over the investigation to that body - but in the meantime, the police department sent out a report listing the report under "manslaughter by negligence." But, as we understand it that is misplaced, there is no police investigation - it is a boating accident and the agency that investigates those matters it is the Port Authority.

A post mortem conducted today indicates that Gentle Jr was killed by massive trauma most likely by a propeller blade to his midsection. But the two boats that were in the accident have been recalled from the Lagoon, and so, since the weekend the Coast Guard has deployed a heavy truck to traverse the causeway which is still covered by 15 to 17 inches of water.

That was going okay until this morning, when someone called the radio station to say that wasn't gonna work. Today in Crooked Tree, villager Steve Anthony explained the needless fuss and how it was resolved:..

Steve Anthony, Crooked Tree resident
"This morning somebody made a call to someone. I am not sure if it was to a radio station, I believe it was to a radio station and they said that the coast guard truck was running with the tailgates open which was a complete fabrication. But today because of that call Audubon got a directive I believe from the Port Authority to stop running that boat and the coast guard got a call from their commander telling them to stop using the truck. This was about 6:30 this morning. I made a couple of calls to the area representative, I spoke to commander Borland and when I explain the situation how we as a village feel about what's happening, commander Borland guarantee that the truck would be running for the 12pm bus today and for this evening. Furthermore he promised that we would get another boat."

Reporter
"Traversing with the truck, it is safe?"

"It's very safe; there is a coast guard in the front and there is a coast guard in the back where people are and when the people get on they close the back gate and they go across. You came over, it's not that they are speeding across, they are taking their time - it's completely safe."

Steven Albert Diaz, Blackburn resident
"I don't have a problem to be packed-up in here. It looks like when you carry cattle to deliver. But it's a nice experience to get in the truck and make sure we have something to take us across because it's the only way to get across the water."

Reporter
"Is it frustrating for you to travel like this?"

"Frustrating because you have to get up early morning and come back late in the evening."

Reporter
"Would you want for them to keep it this way or for them to go back using the boats?"

"It's better to keep it this way because the boat is a lot of problems; there is still a water area up ahead that you have to cross."

"We are hoping that this is only going to be another week or two the most. Works already started on the road, we appreciate that and hopefully this is going to be the last time we need this kind of assistance. Hopefully now, we are going to fix the road, we are going to get the bridges correct and it will be the last time you have to come here to report on a flood. Come report on cashew fest or tilapia fest next time."

As we understand it, the Coast Guard has sent a new boat to the lagoon this evening to supplement the heavy truck. Up to last week, the two boats were using 250 to 300 gallons of fuel every two weeks.

Channel 7