Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#485259 02/05/14 06:49 PM
Edwardo Offline OP
OP Offline
Can anyone help with info? We are bringing two other couples with us this trip who would like to sail or boat up north and around the back side of the Island.Any suggestions on who or how or what to make the trip? How deep is the channel ? Sail or just boat? I asume boat? Any help would be great .

P
P
Go talk to one of the Tour Operators Serious/SeaDuced or Captains that run up there all the time. Elito is a great start. The far North at the back is very shallow and rock bottom and a sail boat likely won't be able to make it is my guess with about 18 inch/2 foot depths from memory. The skiffs have to trim right up and hit certain spots at full plane to clear it. If you aren't very experienced it's not a spot to lose a prop and get stuck in my view.

edit I may have misunderstood you. I'm talking going around the island front and back - a circumnavigation. On rereading your post you may be taking about just going up around the back which is possible in a sail boat

Last edited by Phil; 02/06/14 06:47 AM.
Edwardo Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Phil for the info. And yes you read it correct all the way around and back.

Edwardo, That's a tough trip and some might argue we're not really an island.
You'll have to outside the reef on the North East point and back across the mangrove cut at the head of the island. I can't imagine a sailboat doing that.
I would book a motor boat and there are several companys that do that.
My first call would be Seaduced.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
P
P
No way a sailboat go go out the cut at Bacalar and back in at Basil Jones unless flat calm - and then it isn't a sailing day - as you need to be able to control speed from nothing to gunning it at any point, dependent on wave speed. Both are also very tricky Cuts.

G
G
Sometimes people will look at a map and come up with a fanciful idea. Sail around this, climb that, trek there. Phil and Elbert are making the most sense. Besides, who's going to rent a sailboat so someone to make this impossible sail?
It's just silly.

It's a lovely trip - we do it every couple of years with visitors and always marvel at the channel between Mexico and Belize; adore the snorkeling in the north inner-reef area ...... there are also some nice bird-islands in the back on the first leg of your trip up.
We've always gone with Tanisha Tours and I highly recommend them.

P
P
I second the trip - guided in a skiff - it's great!!

Edwardo Offline OP
OP Offline
Phil , Elbert & Diane thank you all for the info . I didn't know that Daniel did that type of trip. Its not on his website or maybe I missed it. And Gwen I think you may be reading to far into what I posted. I really didn't think a sailboat could get though there
based on what I have seen but I had to ask. Thanks again everyone. Anymore thoughts are welcome

P
P
Searious do it. I'd imagine Seaduced do too.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.