FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5 and CTV3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Police Report
Theft Christina Askew, American businesswoman of Santa Monica, California and owner of the Sausage Factory located on Coco Plum Drive, San Pedro Town reported to the Police that on Friday, March 14th she fired the factory's manager and the assistant manager. She then conducted an internal audit of the business and at her conclusion she discovered that the following monies to the total value of $25,577.66 were missing and suspects that the monies were stolen by her former employees. Police investigations continue. Traffic Accident Harold Arthurs, office assistant at Carts Belize Golf Cart Rentals in San Pedro Town reported that on Friday, March 21st at around 9PM while driving a white and yellow golf cart, with license plate SP C-2055 belonging to the company, and just after Passing Crazy Canucks entrance, he saw a motorcycle being driven from his opposite direction. He stated that he saw the motorcycle knock down a young boy who was riding on a bicycle. The motorcycle lost control, colliding into the gulf cart that Arthurs was driving. He further stated that his cousin 20-year-old Dericka Castro, who was along with him and two more friends flew off the golf cart due to the impact. Castro sustained a scrape to her left knee and went unconscious. She was transported to the San Pedro Polyclinic where she regained consciousness.

30 pints of blood collected during San Pedro Blood Drive
There has been some talk about people being turned away from giving blood in San Pedro although they were able to in their native country. This article is to help everyone understand the challenges the San Pedro Belize Red Cross (SPBRC) is facing in regards to building a healthy supply of blood for Ambergris Caye. Consider the fact that Belize is a developing country and has neither the technology nor the resources to spin and clean blood. The screening standards currently being utilized in Belize date back to 1991 and any changes to those standards would have to be done country wide. The SPBRC hopes to get some educational assistance on the current standards from the American Red Cross and Canadian Blood Services to help in this area. In the interim, we will still set our goal of (50) pints at the next blood drive in June: Aside from building a strong base of regular donors, the San Pedro Branch hopes to do this by encouraging more young adults to donate. Thanks to everyone's hard work, the San Pedro Branch was able to collect 30 pints of blood last Saturday (March 22nd). Adding that to the current stock, gives Ambergris Caye for a grand total of 72 pints on reserve. So far 7 pints have been used by 2 different people.

Footprints for Peace lead Feeding Initiative for Police
In response to the escalation of crime Ambergris Caye has experienced in the past months, the Ministry of Defense deployed a joint operation team consisting of the Belize Police Gang Suppression Unit (GSU) and the Belize Defense Force (BDF) to render aid in San Pedro Town. Footprints for Peace, a community based anti-crime initiative organized by the Eiley and Arceo families, who recently lost their beloved Jeffrey Eiley in the rash of crime and violence, decided to thank the officers by orchestrating a feeding program. Even though the officers were provided with a meal plan and budget for their time on the island, Footprints for Peace wanted to offer the team hot home cooked meals to show the community's appreciation for the officers who worked hard to "clean up the town". The effort received donations from the community in both monetary and food items in order to feed the officers. Footprints for Peace fed 52 officers on Friday March 21st, and were also able to provide them a second meal later that evening through the generous contributions from the Youth Services Department that held a youth rally at the San Pedro Lions Den that same day.

Misc Belizean Sources

President-elect of El Salvador on a visit to Belize
The President-elect of El Salvador Salvador Sanchez Ceren, 69, is on a brief visit to Belize. According to reports in the Salvadoran media, the visit of the President-elect is to meet with Salvadorans living in Belize and to share with them the plans which his administration will carry out during its term in office. Today's meeting between the visiting Salvadoran President-elect and his countrymen and women living in Belize is taking place a the gymnasium of the University of Belize in Belmopan. Salvador Sanchez Seren is a former teacher who won a narrow victory in the recent presidential elections. The presidential term for Salvador Sanchez Ceren starts on June 1, 2014.

15th Annual Junior Cross Country
Today is the 15th annual Junior Cross County Cycling Classic. They start at Succotz, and head to Belize City. The race starts at 9:00am. "The Junior and Youth Male Category of the Federation challenge themselves to prove, who is the best rider to completed this annual prestigious event. They ride from the Ferry at San Jose Succotz, just outside Benque Viejo Del Carmen and travels the George Price Highway to finish in front of Leslie's Import near Miles 2."

More information emerge about rape case in Placencia village
More details have been slowly emerging about the rape of a woman on Thursday night in Placencia village in the Stann Creek district. Police have not yet released any official information, but information received say that the victim is a 29 year old Canadian woman. Reports say that the woman and her partner were accosted on the beach by two men who held the couple up at gunpoint. It is alleged that both of the attackers raped the woman and then forced her partner to withdraw money from an ATM under threat that if he did not comply his wife would be hurt. It is believed that after receiving money from the woman's husband, the robbers took off and made good their escape. Police investigations are ongoing. In related news, the Placencia Police will be meeting with residents of Placencia village on Monday evening at the Community Center where information on the case will be shared, as well as information on citizen's safety. Monday's meeting starts at 6 pm.

American retiree found shot to death in Sarteneja village
Police in Corozal are investigating a homicide, the second for the year in Belize's northernmost district. The victim has been identified as 77 year old naturalized Belizean Dennis Waltz who lived in Sarteneja village. According to reports, Waltz, an American retiree, was reported missing a couple days before his decomposed body was found in a warehouse in Sarteneja village on Friday evening. He had been shot to the mouth, head and chest. Reports say that when Waltz was not seen for a couple of days prior to the discovery of his body, neighbours became concerned. His motorcycle was found abandoned at the entrance to the village, and that led villagers to suspect that something was not quite right. They went to Waltz' house to investigate and upon their arrival, encountered a foul odour coming from the warehouse.

Women's art fair held in San Ignacio town
The Cayo Welcome Centre was buzzing with activity today as a fair was held featuring the works of Belizean women. Arts and craft displays, pastry products and paintings were just some of the things on display and sale. The event was coordinated by the San Ignacio/Santa Elena House of Culture. Some of the women travelled all the way from Punta Gorda town to take part in today's event. Today's "Women In Arts" fair was sponsored by NICH, that National Institute for Culture and History in conjunction with the Cayo Welcome Center.

Motorcycle and bicycle crash in Georgeville
One man was injured in a road traffic accident on the George Price Highway tonight in Georgeville village, Cayo. Just before 7 o'clock, a west-bound motorcycle hit a man who was riding a bicycle at the eastern entrance to the village. crash31 Motorcycle and bicycle crash in Georgeville The victim is identified as Kareem Gongora, who sustained a large injury to the face and complained of pain to the hands and chest. He was taken to the San Ignacio community hospital by a police mobile that responded to call for assistance. The driver of the motorcycle had to be rescued from an angry mob of family and friends of Gongora who accused him of trying to run away from the scene of the accident.

American retiree shot to death in Sarteneja Village
Corozal Police report that about 4:46 p.m. yesterday March 28, 2014, they acted on information received of a dead body that was found in Sarteneja Village, Corozal District. Corozal Police visited the property of DENNIS FRANK WALTZ 77 year old retired American/Naturalized Belizean residing in the said Village where checks were made in the warehouse of a concrete bungalow with zinc roofing measuring 26" X 15" which lead to the discovery of a male dressed in blue jeans short pants, white socks and brown tennis shoes lying in a sitting-down position, motionless in a corner of the building with apparent gunshot wounds to the mouth, right upper side of chest and to the top of his head. According to TEOFILO RODRIGUEZ 44 year old resident of the said village, he made checks at the property after a motorcycle belonging to Mr. Waltz was found about 1 1/2 miles at the outskirts of the said village on Friday March 28th, 2014, sometime in the morning.

Belize - Caye Caulker - Snorkelling
8min.

Liberty Childrens Home Ladyville Belize
8min.

Landing in Belize City International Airport
3min.

Tarrus Riley live in concert in Belize
4min.

Hiking 'The Outlier' in Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary
7min. Hiking 'The Outlier' a 1,800ft peak in Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary and Jaguar Preserve, Belize.

Belize 4/3/2014
3min. Carnaval 2014 Lighthouse Reef, Belize Mergulho: Acquarium (gravado com GoPro Hero2)

Belize Adventure!
4min. We tackled the muddy roads, steep stairs, deep caves, and coral reefs of San Ignacio, Caracol, Caves Branch, Caye Caulker, and Ambergris Caye.

Video: Hand-operated Ferry; Belize.
Mopan River, San Jose Succotz; March 9, 2014. Река Мопан, дер. Сан Хосе Саккотц; 9 марта 2014.

Video: Guanacaste Tree; Epiphites; Belize.

Video: Kaley in the Caribbean, Day 5
15min. Our next port was in Belize City, Belize! This was one of my favorite days because we literally went to hell. I also never had iguana and I'm still bitter.

The Belize Times

Arrested & Charged! - Corrupt Penner Faces Jail
Elvin Penner could run, but the corrupt politician could not hide. Penner was forced out of his hiding hole today, Thursday, March 27th when he had to appear in the Belmopan Magistrate's Court to be arrested, arraigned and charged for illegally issuing a Belizean nationality certificate and a passport to Kim Won Hong, a South Korean who is in a Taiwan prison at the time. The charge was brought about by a private criminal complaint lodged by grassroots organization Citizens Organized for Liberty through Action (COLA). COLA has accomplished what the Barrow Government has been reluctant to do, that is, bring criminal charges against Penner for his disgraceful and illegal actions against provisions of the Belize Passport Act and the Belize Nationality Act. Despite the mounting evidence and public pressure for Penner to face prosecution, the UDP Government continues to defend and protect him. They gave instructions for the Police not to charge him and not even to entertain an investigation. On Tuesday, Immigration Minister Godwin Hulse was up to the government's old tricks of trying to deflect blame from Penner.

Joblessness forces young mother to work at a bar
30 year old mother of two, Nickolette Montes, is more qualified in the medical field than the current Minister of Health, but she has had to settle with working at a nightclub

UDP insults the Judiciary! - Political crony
Very disturbing news has reached the news desk of the BELIZE TIMES. We have learnt that the judicial system is in severe crisis. The mother load of unconfirmed reports is that

Barrow's Noodles Budget!!
Presentation of the 2014/15 Budget for Fiscal Year by Hon. Francis W. Fonseca, Leader of the Opposition March 24, 2014, Belmopan I rise to make my contribution to the debate

Broken down dreams
As our Parliamentarians meet in Belmopan to toss around figures and to debate the merits of a billion dollar budget, I prefer instead to conclude my assessment of the KHMH as it stands. After spending a week at our country's flagship hospital, I would only hope that

Editorial: The Ugly Reality
As the Barrow Administration enters its 6th year in office, we have noted the intensity with which it is trying to hide the reality of the poverty, economic depression, corruption and social decay in our country by brainwashing Belizeans with expensive political ads about the few and too seldom, and

Belmopan Bandits drill FC Belize 2-0
Defending champs Belmopan Bandits are No. 3 in the Premiere league of Belize, after enjoying their first win after 3 draws in 4 outings, since the departure of Belize's top striker Deon McCaulay to the Atlanta

7th RF&G national table tennis tournament winners
Zhi Cheng of Dangriga won the "A" Division", Sen Sen won the "B" division champ, Marion Usher won the "C" division champ, and Petie Usher-Matus won the female champ at the Belize Table Tennis Association's (BTTA)

Lady Jaguars, Stars & Jaguars win volleyball games
The defending female champs Lady Jaguars, Moen Stars, SQ Junior Stars, the Jaguars men and the Scorpions all posted big wins in the Belize District Volleyball Association's (BDVA) 2014 competition held

Sweetheart deal for Jon Jon's Mayoral hopeful
Shockwaves were sent through the city of Belmopan when the UDP Belmopan representative John Saldivar announced that his preferred candidate for the upcoming Municipal Elections was no other than his puppet, UDP

A snitch and peeping tom!!
There are three characteristics that most disliked on the streets: snitching, being a peeping tom, and behaving feminine-like. The UDP Gang Minister, Mark King, has confessed to two out of the three. A

AMAZING GRACE - Broken Streetlamps
I was driving home one night and as I turned down the lane towards my house, I noticed that one of the lampposts were out. For some reason, that dark lamppost's image stuck with me and as I pondered all the implications the lack of light would mean for the

Journeying Back to the Beginning
I started connecting with my Garifuna roots as a youngster and I made my first visit to the community of Hopkins when I was 3 years old. My father told me that during this visit, I was blessed by a shaman of the community. My Creole

The price of beans and corn
Corn and beans are staples in the Belizean diet...but with the wholesale price of corn now at $30.50/100lbs and red-kidney beans at $210/100lbs�dinner tables across the jewel are fast seeking substitutes for these. Twenty years ago�the bulk of these commodities were produced by hundreds of small, traditional milpa farmers.

Hon. Jose Abelardo Mai, Area Representative Orange Walk South, Budget Presentation
My presentation here today Mr. Speaker is "consultation based" and includes the views, opinions and experiences of a cross-section of the Belizean society, including the unions, many teachers, doctors, students, laborers, the private sector and Mr. Speaker, those who deserve the greatest respect and

WOMAN IN THE HOUSE - Empty Rhetoric
The focus this week is on the Budget Speech for Fiscal Year 2014 to 2015 delivered in the House of Representatives on March 7, 2014 by Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister and Minister of Finance and Economic Development. After the tabling of several reports and the Questions to

UDP privatizing BTL
On the Wednesday night news the nation was lulled by the launch of the BTL phone book cover but the mess at BTL is bubbling. Inside sources within the telecommunications company have leaked information to the BELIZE TIMES. Those sources indicate that the yellow pages have been

Butane prices go up!
It is not the kind of news Belizeans need as overall the cost of living has been on the rise consistently, but on Thursday March 20th the cost of butane price crept up some more. The cost of a 100 pound cylinder increased by a dollar for

Faber accused of smashing wife's car
Minister of Education, Youth and Sports Patrick Faber has refused to comment on very serious allegations that he smashed his wife's windshield after the pair got

What you need to know about Sedi & the Attorney General's Ministry
There is a mass exodus from the Attorney General's office. The Attorney General's Ministry is home to the Solicitor General's office. This office is responsible to go to Court to defend the Government and its ...

Blogs

Shop the Country of Belize on Ambergris Caye
In spite of it's small size, the country has a large amount of very talented Artisans. If you are one of those Island types that never seems to get much further than Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker while on vacation, you can now shop the Country of Belize on Ambergris Caye at 12 store. Owner Lara Goldman wanted to showcase the country's talents and give Belizean artists especially those in from smaller villages an opportunity to increase their income and have their talent marketed to locals and tourists in one place. She searched the country via Tropic Air, word of mouth and facebook to find the most beautiful and functional arts and crafts. As a result, 12 store is a place where you will find en eclectic mix handmade hidden gems. 12 offers a wide range of Belizean crafts and products from stylish wood carving, pottery, food items and so much more. They also custom embroidering and and a wide range of gift baskets, perfect destination weddings and corporate shopping needs. Visit 12Belize.com website or Romantic Travel Belize facebook page to see more.

In Contact With my Inner Rastafarian
In Monaco this summer we couchsurfed with the most amazing guy. He was also hosting four other people (he had 6 surfers every day - wow!). Two of them were Amy and Myles, a married couple from New Zealand. They had been 6 weeks in Central America before going to Europe, and naturally we had a million questions for them. One of the things they talked about did not excite me at all: rastafarians. Slow living, lots of marijuana and just plain laziness. It sounded like hell to me. I've always dreamed of living in a big city. Big like New York City - The Big Apple. Strolling down 5th Avenue with a million other people, the constant buzz, the lights, the opportunities� Everything about the city that never sleeps were just perfect in my eyes. But then we went to Caye Caulker in Belize and everything changed. From the minute we stepped out of the water taxi, we instantly fell into a much slower beat. Everything just tuned in at a much, much slower pace. And we were instantly hooked.

International Sources

Deon McCaulay continues his goal-scoring feat with the Silverbacks
Deon McCaulay continues to shine on the football field in the United States. According to the Atlanta Silverbacks website, McCaulay scored a "hat trick" helping the Silverbacks to a 4-1 defeat of the Young Harris College in a preseason game that was played on Saturday afternoon. The official game summary shows that McCaulay scored the Silverbacks' first goal in the 66th minute of play, equalizing the score at 1-1. Deon McCaulay's second goal came in the 81st minute of play and his third goal came two minutes later.

Bike through Belize
This is a 314.88 mi Bike Ride beginning in Chetumal, Mexico and ending near the Honduran border in Southern Belize. The Bike Ride has a total ascent of 5748.95 ft and has a maximum elevation of 760.33 ft.