Re: First time to Abergris Caye [Re: ktwillie01] #487814
03/11/14 10:58 AM
03/11/14 10:58 AM
San Pedro
P
pamkillen Offline
pamkillen  Offline
P
If you want to get the bookwork of certification out of way before you get here, get in touch with White Sands Dive Shop. My nieces did PADI online before they got here and could get right in the pool and then Hol Chan first day

Re: First time to Abergris Caye [Re: pamkillen] #487816
03/11/14 12:07 PM
03/11/14 12:07 PM
A
ACBum Offline
ACBum  Offline
A
Go to XTan Ha resort site and go to activities ... you will see the dive / tour company that is on site there at the resort. You can call the owner of the dive shop (Hill) and get all the information you need. We have stayed at XTan a few times and Hill does a great job.

Budgeting for food and drink can be any amount that you want to spend ... food and drink is expensive on the island when going out. Where you are staying they have little kitchens and you are well advised to get some things from town ... You can have a provisioning company get things for you ahead of time and they will be in your room when you arrive ... we usually just shop when we get to the island.

Re: First time to Abergris Caye [Re: ktwillie01] #487832
03/11/14 05:49 PM
03/11/14 05:49 PM
K
ktwillie01 Offline OP
ktwillie01  Offline OP
K
Thanks again for all the suggestions. My wife and I are still trying to decide on the diving part of the trip.
Is there a big difference in snorkeling and diving? I understand the concept, but I see it is an investment to get certified, and then for rental of equipment.
Snorkeling obviously is limited, but I had a great experience.
I just want to avoid the dive commitment, and find out we dive once and are distracted with all the other fun activities.
I hope this post makes sense, and somebody can elaborate if it is worth the investment for first timers.
Thanks!

Re: First time to Abergris Caye [Re: ktwillie01] #487850
03/11/14 10:56 PM
03/11/14 10:56 PM
Birdland - 1 mile north
ScubaLdy Offline
ScubaLdy  Offline
There is a danger in getting certified - you may never want to ever do anything again but dive. smile

Honestly you sound like you really don't know f you want to dive or not. You have lots of options and one may be to take a resort course. We all have our favorite dive shops (there must be about 50 of them here on the island - LOL) and dive instructors.

One of the fun things to do would be to, on your first day here, visit a number of different shops.

I think everyone charges about the same so don't go looking for something cheap - your life may depend on who you choose. After some time watching a video and getting basic instruction you will be taken to a safe dive site that is not deep. After the first experience you will know if this is something you really want to do.

After I had done all the book and pool stuff but before I had done my open water I went to Mexico and found 'Victor' who agreed to take me out. It was him, me and the boat captain. Fearfully I back rolled into the water, the dive master held my hand, we descended down a rock wall, I cried in my mask it was so beautiful and I knew I wanted to do this as much as I could for the rest of my life. Upon surfacing I said "Let's go again."

So be warned! This is an expensive addiction.

Another alternative is you can go on line to PADI and do all the book work and bring the papers here and do the open water dives in nice warm Caribbean water.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Re: First time to Abergris Caye [Re: ktwillie01] #487854
03/12/14 03:05 AM
03/12/14 03:05 AM
Canada
seashell Offline
seashell  Offline
I'll be perfectly honest with you. On this trip just enjoy the snorkeling. If you come away from the trip thinking snorkeling is just not enough, get certified or certification ready for your next trip. As Subsidy said, diving is addictive and an expensive hobby. My whole life is different because I became a diver, different good but life has become more expensive than I'd originally expected it to be. smile Not that I'd change a thing . . .unless it was to dive even more!

Anyway, your thinking that it might not be the best thing to do on THIS trip, is probably the right approach this time. Have a wonderful time! I know you will.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Re: First time to Abergris Caye [Re: ktwillie01] #488811
03/30/14 11:26 PM
03/30/14 11:26 PM
Texas
W
WWIII Offline
WWIII  Offline
W
I have the property just south of X'tan Ha and a golf cart is not an option. You are also almost directly in front of Mexico Rocks. The second best snorkeling spot on the island. You will have kayaks at you disposal there, and you can tie up and snorkel at Mexico Rocks.
Conciser the water taxi similar to a bus service in the states. They run on a schedule and it is an easy thing to use. I also recommend stocking up on groceries in town. The restaurant there is good but a little pricey (as to be expected up north). We eat there at least once on every visit we make. Make sure you try the burgers. The chef is DJ, formally from DJ's, in San Pedro
Oliver, the manager, is very nice and will help you out with your questions.

Re: First time to Abergris Caye [Re: WWIII] #488817
03/31/14 05:14 AM
03/31/14 05:14 AM
A
ACBum Offline
ACBum  Offline
A
Also remember when you are staying at XTan Ha question what days they have free rides to town on a boat ... when you are taking a water taxi to town it is 12US each way from there to town per person ... so keep that in mind if you decide to save some money and take dive courses in town.

Re: First time to Abergris Caye [Re: ktwillie01] #488819
03/31/14 05:25 AM
03/31/14 05:25 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
About diving - you can usually find a shop that does a "resort course" whereby you have a couple of hours instruction in the morning and then do a shallow dive in the company of an instructor in the afternoon. This is an excellent way to discover if you like the diving experience. I highly recommend it.
Diving is actually less physical than snorkeling - I loved it but discovered that an ear condition made it impossible for me to go deeper than 30 feet and I could not pursue this most wonderful of activities. To me, diving was serene and glorious beyond words. Diving is not for everybody, but it is an amazing experience for many.

Re: First time to Abergris Caye [Re: ktwillie01] #488873
04/01/14 06:13 AM
04/01/14 06:13 AM
Minnesota
G
gsreimers Offline
gsreimers  Offline
G
My wife and I are on Ambergris Caye for our second trip right now. Both times we had provisioning done for us by Mata Grande. You can order what you want online ahead of time and it will be delivered to your room and waiting for you when you get there. (that means you will have cold Belekins in your fridge waiting for you).

We have ordered the bare essentials pack which has rum, vodka, beer and some sodas along with groceries. As I said, it's not cheap but I think you save quite a bit over getting all your drinks and food from resorts or restaurants. You also get to play "what in the hell can I make from this." This moringings scrambled eggs with calabrese salami was awesome.

Have a great trip.

Re: First time to Abergris Caye [Re: ktwillie01] #491103
05/20/14 09:24 AM
05/20/14 09:24 AM
K
ktwillie01 Offline OP
ktwillie01  Offline OP
K
We are getting close to our trip, and was curious should we bring cash for our daily spending, or is Credit cards accepted most places?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Pokey), 155 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics72,278
Posts483,252
Members19,701
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.