Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#490646 05/08/14 11:56 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I'm moving to Belize soon. I'm planning to ship in my households good on a boat from Florida.

Are there any import restrictions on gun ammo?
I'm planning to import my guns after getting my permits...but can I bring the ammo in with my household goods shipment?
Is there a better option for this stuff?

Also, any advice on importing precious metals would be appreciated.

A
A
You should talk to a customs agent, you will need one, everything imported goes through one.
They are go-betweens representing you, not the actual agents at the Customs dept.
Some are unscrupulous, will conspire to extort you in collusion with actual Customs dept.
Guns and ammo are a hot issue here.
There are restrictions on caliber (9 MM or smaller) and no ammo common elsewhere, like 12 gauge, 16's are common here.
I had great luck with Victor Murillo, but I didn't import any firearms.
[email protected]
Good luck!

S
S
You need to be a resident to get a gun/ammo permit/license. If you don't have a license and have unregistered ammo you'll end up in jail right quick. That's a non-bailable offense until you can get a Supreme Court hearing, which may take a while.

S
S
I believe you are also restricted on the number of guns you can own (I notice you said guns). Best you contact the Ministry of National Security to have your questions answered fully.

Here are the old gun laws which do not include the severe restrictions implemented a few years ago:

http://www.unlirec.org/Documents/caribe/Belize/FirearmsActChapter143oftheSubstantiveLawofBelize.pdf

A
A
It has different fees for citizens and non-citizens but where does it say you have to have residency?

Like Simon said, you can't have ammunition without a license. When you do have a license, you can have up to 100 rounds of ammunition for your gun, no more. When you have more you are also in violation with the gun laws = jail time without the possibility of bail. Note that you also need to have a license for a bullet proof vest, same consequences.

Live and let live
W
W
The truth is there is not a rule or law in Belize that cannot be bent or broken with a little pay-off money.
The McAfee debacle illustrated the depth of the greed and corruption here painfully.

M
OP Offline
M
Hey guys...thanks for all the info. That does a pretty good job of letting me know where I stand :-)

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.