Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#493334 07/14/14 08:22 AM
R
OP Offline
R

I have recently learned about the Lionfish invasion taking place here in Belize, and the damage it is doing to the reef and fisheries(potentially devastating from what i'm hearing.In short order) and I am researching it bit by bit. I have my commercial fishing Lic. and my Captains Lic. as well I live here on San Pedro, and part time in Belize City as well. I would like to get involved in being part of the solution to eradicating these non-native fish to our Reef system by fishing them and educating others when and where I can. Point being I would like meet others on the island that are going after these fish, I understand they have become a delicacy for some and there is a demand for them and are fetching 5$ a Lb. Anyone out there involved in this, or know anybody I could contact to further my education on this subject would be appreciated..........Thanks

Last edited by reefenit; 07/14/14 08:24 AM. Reason: typo

Namiste/Have a blessed day
We have restaurants visit looking for lion-fish to serve. We kill them as we go along on our dives. One problem is that the sharks have wised up to how they taste and are following divers to snatch up the fish quickly, it's become a competition to see who's going to eat the fish first.
It seems we can't kill enough of them to satisfy the demand so yes, you probably have a market if that's what your looking for.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
R
OP Offline
R
I'm more interested in reef protection,so very glad to hear that the sharks are on the attack, that is great news. I still am interested in hunting them as well.............Thanks for the info, that brightened up my day!

Namiste/Have a blessed day
I'm not sure the sharks are eating them on their own. Please correct me if I'm wrong Elbert but aren't they taking or stealing the lionfish from the diver?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

At this point in their expansion they will never be eradicated, well at least by predation pressure; man, shark or other species. Their "home" range now covers from So Carolina along the Eastern seaboard and across the Caribbean heading farther south. I suppose it's possible to make them less populous around the island but they aren't going to be wiped out. Recently very large specimens were found at depths in excess of 300 feet, an unexpected environment. I picked a few small ones out from under our dock this spring...a place they've never been previously. I wouldn't throw up my hands and walk away but its important to be realistic about what can be done. Good hunting!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.