Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
grin tru dat

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
P
P
I don't get it.. A family has birds that are well taken care of and they come unannounced ., no previous warning,and just take them.
While other folks have birds - NOT taken care -of with cages in full sun , no food at times , they pull on feathers and had sores they were at the Old BYC entry .
Then moved to the back of LA VOLLIE ROUGE sitting in hot sun till one guys comes to clean garden and cage. They only are fed seeds...
Yet they go take those birds..more private homes in the area as well have birds
Just warn folks first, repeat a surprise visit , if they don't comply then TAKE THE BIRDS.
But don't just go and enforce a law on one family without warnings .......
Get RESPECTED in the area you work in........

M
M
I don't know, but it clearly sounds like these two birds needed to be 'rescued'. I personally believe that no birds should be kept as 'pets'. But that is absolutely not the way I have always felt. It took time and a lot of education for me to get to this point. And seeing all of the issues these two particular birds had, I can't imagine that they could have survived and reached their full potential without this rescue.

R
R
Poppie.

The birds were kept in appalling conditions. They both showed signs of mental disturbance. They hadn't been taken out from their cages for months. They had no food or water in their cages. Both birds are injured, one due to a leg band that has almost caused the Macaw to lose a leg, the Cockatoo has plucked most of the feathers off her chest, legs and under the wing.
But the most serious thing of all is these birds do not have CITES paperwork. There are no import permits for these birds. The Moluccan cockatoo is an incredibly endangered species. The Macaw is a hybrid that should never ever have been allowed into Belize under any circumstances.
We know there are a lot of parrots in San Pedro, and slowly but surely they will be either licensed or removed form their captors. These cases are not nearly as serious as these two birds which are blatant examples of Belizean laws being flouted on many levels.

1. No import permits
2. No health checks
3. Birds have no records of being seen by a veterinarian although both had severe injuries.
4. Birds kept in a disgusting insanitary condition
5. Birds cages not coming close to meeting minimum standards as laid down by Forestry department.
6. No food or water being available at all times to meet minimum standards as required by Forestry department
7. Birds displaying severe signs of mental illness caused by insufficient mental stimulation and improper caging, and caging being placed at ground level.

These are facts. They can be backed up with photographs and veterinarian reports. Such lawbreaking and animal abuse cannot be tolerated any more and I am gratified that the Police and the Forestry department are now doing something about it.

L
L
All birds should be left in the wild. They are likely to outlive most humans who do not know how to care for them in the first place. Birds are meant to fly free.

Yes, Sorry for all my friends who have birds but it's true we should have no caged/pet birds.
Lots of logic's/excuses about 'too late for this and that but if we have zero tolerance it will kill the illegal bird market quick and problem solved.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Is the fact that we're going after parrot pet keeping a sign that all of our island's other problems are now considered solved? Great! Time to take the burglar bars off and sell the guard dogs.

JZB Offline
One kind of law enforcement has nothing to do with another and I'm getting really tired of people comparing the two. Do you all really expect the Forest Department to go after the drug dealers? And based on that logic, why waste your time with drug dealers when there are murders out there? Lets just let everyone speed down the road at 100 miles an hour because there are far more serious crimes out there to enforce!

I'm not directing this solely at you Chris, but you all need to stop and think about what you are actually saying.

Well said JZB. Thanks.

L
L
Perhaps the incident also had the effect of inflaming all the frustration people have been feeling over many issues. If many of the Facebook posts are any indication it will probably do little for local , expat relationships. Resentments aren't alway logical.

R.B. Mernitz
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 293 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.